Logically consistent theories of ID exist.

by hooberus 159 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul
    ackack: It's also true in a court of law. Why shouldn't it generally be true in life?

In a court of law, an accusation against someone requires proof. But not every claim requires proof, even in a court of law. I think you are stretching the point.

It shouldn't be generally true in life because it is cumbersome and unnatural. Not just because we aren't accustomed to it, because it is a clunky, methodical way of going about things and real life is not kind to clunky, methodical people. Not to mention the fact that the average brain is very poorly suited to those rigors. It takes a very odd person to be a good lab rat. Not to say they don't contribute mightily to society, etc. but a world full of them is no place I'd want to live.

{edited to add}

Defense Attorney: "Did you see the defendant holding this knife and plunging it repeatedly into the body of your poor, sainted mother?"

Bereaved Daughter [pointing at defendant]: "Yes! Yes! Yes! He did it! He's the one, I saw it!"

Defense Attorney [rocking back with arms crossed smugly]: "Can you prove that you saw it?"

Prosecutor: "Objection, your honor!"

Defendant: "I want a different lawyer, your honor!"

• ackack
    ackack

I'm not really sure what to say here, but I sense a bit of confusion around some of my basic ideas. You said proof does not need to testable, but then give an example of assertion. Assertions do not need to be testable in of themselves, but belong in a greater framework of a proof. People can assert all sorts of things that happened to them personally, and there is no way to either prove or disprove them.

You are confusion science with my general attitude of skepticism. Is there any belief you have that is entirely based upon anecdotal evidence? Do you think its a good idea to have beliefs based entirely upon anecdotal evidence?

I've already made mention about the folly of trusting in personal experience as a means to gauge if something is true or not. Memory and perception are very fuzzy things, and can easily be altered. I guess what it comes down to is that I don't feel anecdotal evidence is very compelling. Selection bias plays to much of a part in what anecdotes are recounted and which are forgotten.

I never said that because something was unprovable it is false. This is a claim some might make, specifically some illogical atheists (and on the flip side deists make, via the argument from ignorance).

You say that not every assertion in a court of law requires proof, but of course unchallenged assertions don't need proof offered. I was implying only challenged assertions.

You call it clunky and methodical, but that is your own experience coloring that. I've lived large portions of my life giving away my beliefs to people who simply told me it was so. Don't confuse living life and forming beliefs around the nature of life. I still live my life in a pretty reckless way even if I am cautious about forming new beliefs.

History shows us that the act of forming beliefs around anecdotes is a pretty messy way to build a belief system.

You wrote, "Ultimately, each individual arrives at proof for everything he or she examines. It happens thousands of times a day, probably billions of times or more. What two individuals consider compelling will always differ, to a degree. But at whatever point belief is compelled, the thing considered is proven to the person." Whether it is proven to your or not (any specific) belief, it doesn't make it true or false. Searching for truth is more challenging than searching for beliefs.

Your personal beliefs don't matter to me, that is, until they impinge upon others in some way. Then it does matter what you believe.

So tell me, what beliefs do you have that are based entirely on anecdotes? Do you place a lot of emphasis on these beliefs in your personal life?

ackack

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul
    ackack: Is there any belief you have that is entirely based upon anecdotal evidence? Do you think its a good idea to have beliefs based entirely upon anecdotal evidence?

Not that I am aware of, but I do not have an opinion on whether it is a good or a bad idea for anyone outside myself to have beliefs based entirely on whatever evidence they choose, so long as their beliefs do not impact other people negatively. And I mean "impact negatively" beyond annoying them on a discussion forum .

If my next door neighbor has a belief that the moon is made of Philidelphia ® Cream Cheese because his mother told him so, and because he really likes the moon, and because he also really likes cream cheese, I will not agree to join his Blessed Church of the Cream Cheese Moon, but I will amuse myself endlessly thinking about the possibilities of an entire MOON made of cream cheese.

See, I believe science has already taught that evolution is not a science. It is a natural process that favors change and possibilities, mutations, and challenges differences in its environment for suitability and adaptability, rapid special propogation of concepts, defenses, strategies...I think science is ultimately poorly suited to the evolutionary process. It is too rigid, too lumbering, it looks like a robot plopped into the jungle, out of place in the natural world.

It also leads humanity to view its environment as a commodity to be pillaged, which is as certainly for the long term harm of the species as a human who can't see the future can possibly get to certainty. Survival of the individual is assuming greater and greater importance, and that is rarely a trait that will ensure the survival of a species. This individuation is aided along in no small measure by science.

There are an awfully lot of lonely people out there who have been hoodwinked into thinking they are worthy of an iPod, and a cell phone, and a laptop, and wireless Internet access who just can't seem to figure out why they feel like they don't fit in, after all, everyone else who is anyone also has all this stuff. Stuff that was entirely unnecessary 40 years ago. Stuff that is entirely unnecessary now. Stuff you can't eat. Stuff that won't keep you warm. Stuff that won't give you a moment's peace without a chirp or a page or a chime.

It is unnatural. Grotesquely unnatural. But it arose from unnatural processes, so that is not too surprising.

It produces an unnatural society. For instance, my wife and I went out to eat recently. At a nearby table, there were six young people. Five of them were talking. On cell phones, to people who weren't there. The fifth person looked entirely left out. We commented on it to each other, but then we heard a rap song and her face brightened up. Then there were six friends (presumably) who went out to eat together so they could each chat with people who didn't go out to eat.

We aren't talking about stodgy harkening back to the good ol' days. We are talking about the natural ways in which humanity has progressed to be a gregarious, socially interdependent species being cast aside within two or three generations. That isn't natural and it isn't evolution. Whatever caused it, nature had nothing to do with.

Plus, I think maybe reality likes to make fun of things that try to contain it, label it, and categorize it.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

AS:

I mean, where could you possibly corner a guy who is willing to consider anything? It really isn't fair, you know.

I confess. I'm a bar steward

Derek:

But why label it "God" when it so unlike any normal definition of the word?

Why not? Why is jam called jam and marmalade, marmalade? It all sounds so arbitary, or as they say "what's in a name?"

You write to AS: I'll go further. I actively believe - and this is my testimony - that you have had no such experience. Is that evidence?

I disagree that this is evidence, because you can hardly be classed as an eyewitness to something not having happened if you weren't there. It's simple belief, and not admissible. If you were present when AS claimed that a little green man walked up to him and kicked him in the shins, and gave evidence that you didn't see him so much as wince, then that might be acceptible as evidence.

Gyles:What have ya got against mammaries, ya Parisian-rainbow luvvin reprobate?

Regards to her-indoors, btw

• ackack
    ackack

AuldSoul, I think you have a pretty poor understanding of science and what evolution is. You use vague scientific claims to challenge evolution while at the same time deriding science for being a poor way to gain knowledge. You claim science is stogy and rigid, and nature is too weird to be contained by scientific thinking. As well, you make a few arguments from final consequences, and those arguments are fallacious.

Science seeks to make sense of what is empiracally learned from the natural world. Science has produced some weird theories to explain bizarre counter-intuitive natural phenomenon. The test of science, where rubber meets the road, is when a theory is tested against new data. If the theory predicts wrong results, ideally it is reformulated, or thrown out. Sometimes people hang on to pet theories longer than they should, but eventually, if a theory continues to produce wrong results, it is tossed out. People who hang onto theories past their prime become relegated to quack status, and are typically ignored by the scientific community. (Behe is an example of this)

Darwinian evolution has had plenty of time to be disproved. The discovery of genetics has not only confirmed the viability of the theory, it has bolstered it to an unimpeachable degree. The microbiological evidence for evolution is pretty staggering.

What is this evidence against evolution you speak of? What is this wonderful evidence for God you believe in?

You wrote earlier

Defense Attorney: "Did you see the defendant holding this knife and plunging it repeatedly into the body of your poor, sainted mother?" Bereaved Daughter [ pointing at defendant ]: "Yes! Yes! Yes! He did it! He's the one, I saw it!" Defense Attorney [ rocking back with arms crossed smugly ]: "Can you prove that you saw it?" Prosecutor: "Objection, your honor!" Defendant: "I want a different lawyer, your honor!" 

What was the point of this? You said an "accusation against someone requires proof" and then use this example of an accusation to deride asking for proof. Are you aware of the self-contradictory nature of this post? Do accusations, or even statements that are extraordinary (or paranormal) require proof or not? Is there a difference in the quality of evidence between testimony and physical evidence?

ackack

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

AuldSoul

Oh dear, is THAT the crux of your argument? Argumentum ad sanguineus diluceo; a statement of the bleedn' obvious (well, something like that, LOL).

Pedantic, semantic, fallacious, and all to point out what we all know. That groups of people are comprised of individuals. Stop the press! Yes AuldSoul, a group is comprised of individuals as prone to error and subjectivity as the next person, and any grouping can have it's qualifications and objectivity questioned.

What a lot of trees. Can you see the wood yet?

You state the obvious in what seems to be an attempt to question the knowability of anything and the highlight the falability of human opinion. Given the thinking you normally defend I can see how both these actions are desirable as the intellectual slack they allow is condusive to certain belief structures.

What you say is true. But what you ignore is also true, and this makes the relevency of what you say questionable.

'Qualified' means people who know what they are talking about. Both legal institutions and scientific bodies have systems in place to ensure those in positions of authority or power pass certain tests of knowledge, competence, and experience. It is not perfect, but it is better than unqualified opinion, that held by those without adequate knowledge, competence or experience, formed without any reference to a developed system for reducing error.

You might quibble in a discussion, but when you have tooth-ache you go to a dentist. When your dog is sick you go to the vet (oh, I'm not saying you have a dog by the way, I know you can take things personally... ). By your actions you show how you subscribe to the model.

'Objective' means based on observed facts, relating to material objects, actual existence or reality, not influenced by the emotions or prejudices. All good things and the method that a qualified group such as those mentioned would strive to attain.

Used in contrast to 'subjective' as in this context it also implies consensus opinion as distinct from individual opinion.

All of this does not mean that qualified objective bodies are incapable of error. this is impossible as they are built of error-prone units.

But all of this means that qualified objective bodies are far less likely to be in error than an individual.

In what seems to be an attempt to sow doubt about the knowability of anything due to human fallability you miss the error-correction that groups tend to apply to a decison making process. The point is NOT that it is perfect; no one said that. The point is that it is more reliable than individual unqualified subjective opinion.

By all means argue with this, but I don't see why you would as it is fairly self evident. But then I am an individual and my subjective assessment of your next action could well be wrong, as could your subjective assesment of whether groups of qualified decision makers who try to be subjective are less likely to be in error than unqualified subjective individuals.

It may be subject to group phenomena, but this does not remove the lower risk of error of groups of qualified decision makers who try to be subjective in comparison to unqualified subjective individuals.

If it contains a member who says, "There is no evidence for a Creator" is he qualified as an objective participant in the body, or has his stated bias disqualified him?

To avoid pointless semantic routines that result in more statements of the obvious I would say someone who said "There is no know evidence for a Creator that conforms to common scientific expectations and definitons of evidence" would be making a statement that was very difficult to disprove. IF a single member of a group IS biased, the error-correction offered by the descison making of a group protect the group's outcome from error; again, no one says perfectly, but a better average outcome than individual decision making.

Suppose another believes that a pink kangaroo named &*()785(&%&*^( from the star system Yxmalcan near the Kloznix nebula presses the shift key for him whenever he asks, but he has never said so to a single person, his pink kangaroo friend is a secret...is he qualified as an objective participant in this august assemblage? On what basis? Who qualifies him?

As you fail to specify the group's purpose it may be he is in a group where he IS qualified despite holding unprovable opinions in other areas. He could be a great member of a PTA, or prehaps an Antiques Expert sitting on a panel determining an insurance valuation. If the groups area of expertese is one where the secretly-held opinions stated by you would cause his decison making to be questionable, the error-correction offered by the decison making of a group protect the group's outcome from error; again, no one says perfectly, but a better average outcome than individual decision making.

Your "qualified body" is a variation on one my father used to an excess. As is your "court-of-law or science journal" farce. Here's his, I bet you can detect the similarity in style:

"If you took 100 people and..."

The 100 people always agreed with dear old dad. They were his imagination, of course, but they were always unaminous in their conclusions.

A rather shallow comparison; your dad was dealing with IMAGINARY groups; you state this yourself.

I was not saying "100 people agree with me". This is an appeal to the majority 'argumentum ad populum'.

I was saying "It doesn't matter what a single person thinks is evidence, it's what a qualified objective group would consider as evidence".

My examples were not imaginary or specific, just groups selected for the qualities of the decison making process they employ.

IF I was not comparing two things and saying one is better at determining an issue, I would be making an argument to authority 'ad verecundiam'. But I WAS comparing two things and in no way can it be said I was using a perfect solution fallacy or affirming the consequent. By all means show me where say 'objective qualified groups are inerrant, therefore a conclusion reached by a objective qualified group is inerrant'.

Only by taking what I say and running with it to an extreme can you reach the point where your accusation of fallcious argumentation STARTS to become valid. On top of this straw man argumentation (including deliberate re-phrasing of what I said to make your accusations seem valid) you equivocate LOTS and make an association fallacy. There's probably some ad hoc argumentation in there too, but I ain't reading it again, LOL. A major fault is your use of 'evidence', which you claim;

Evidence does not constitute proof

Which is funny as one major definiton of evidence is;

Something that furnishes proof (Mirriam-webster)

You also ignore that is something is not legally submitted to a tribunal to ascertain the truth of a matter (because it does not fit in with the rules for permissable evidence) it hasn't become evidence yet. Again, Mirriam-Webster.

But then if you actively EXCLUDE common definitons and insist testimony not-heard by a qualified objective group as it is not submittable as evidence IS evidence all the same in order to build a pocket-reality where your argument seems slightly more valid (ignoring the straw man's it was based on) it does make life easier I suppose...

It was the pendantic exclusion of common deinitons and the sloppy argumentation that made me think you might be taking this personally... I try not to to traduce someone by means of logical fallacy. It's just not elegant.

(1) Testimony is evidence which lends to a proposition. Anyone got a problem with that statement?

Yeah, I do. Testimony only becomes evidence to other parties when it is accepted as being submissable. What, never heard a judge say to a jury 'You will disregard the testimony of the witness, it's not submissable as evidence'?

(2) For some people, testimony alone may be sufficient evidence to prove a thing true. Anyone dispute this claim?

Yes, but whilst I do not dispute YOUR claim there are such people I would dispute the validity of such people's claims. So some people make claims I dispute the validity of... this gets us where exactly?

(3) Testimony which forms a body of evidence that proves a thing true to a specific person can properly be termed "proof" in any context outside of science. Anybody objecting so far?

Yes, loads. In additon to your above definiton not being proof in science it would not be proof in law. Wow, so testimony can be termed proof other than in two structures developed for the purpose of minimising error and determing facts. Nice way of putting it, thanks...

If not, why did anyone have a problem with me objecting to the demonstrably erroneous statement "There is no evidence for a Creator." The body of evidence may not compel Abaddon to believe, it may not be proof for him, but it is unquestionably evidence and it certainly exists.

Funny how you idolise subjectivity but elect to take a statement I make as not subjective (when you claim this is impossible) and insist on a special class of evidence (unknown evidence or mislabelled evidence) in order to find error in the statement when associated statements by me make it obvious the possibility of such evidence is implicitly accepted by the person who made the statement.

Doesn't it disturb you that the whole thread, as far as those supporting ID goes, consists of ad hoc arguments and semantics?

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

LittleToe:

But why label it "God" when it so unlike any normal definition of the word?

Why not? Why is jam called jam and marmalade, marmalade? It all sounds so arbitary, or as they say "what's in a name?"

Language is somewhat arbitrary, but that doesn't mean it's okay to relabel things as we see fit. If I offered you a bowl of strawberries and cream, but what I meant by "strawberries" was what you would call "turnips", and what I meant by "cream" was what you would call "monkey semen" you'd be pretty upset.

Similarly, if you declare that what I would call a "rock" is "God" you're not making a useful statement, but only serving to confuse. The word "God" does cover a whole range of definitions, but there have to be limits if we are to communicate effectively.

You write to AS: I'll go further. I actively believe - and this is my testimony - that you have had no such experience. Is that evidence?

I disagree that this is evidence, because you can hardly be classed as an eyewitness to something not having happened if you weren't there. It's simple belief, and not admissible. If you were present when AS claimed that a little green man walked up to him and kicked him in the shins, and gave evidence that you didn't see him so much as wince, then that might be acceptible as evidence.

It is "evidence" in the sense that AuldSoul has been using the word. I can easily declare myself to have esoteric knowledge of the inner workings of his mind and body and that I therefore know that what he actually experienced was indigestion. It's invalid, unusable, inadmissible, meaningless and downright false evidence, granted, but it's certainly testimony and as AuldSoul has been (not without some justification, admittedly) equivocating the terms that counts as evidence.

• TopHat
    TopHat

Doesn't it disturb you that the whole thread, as far as those supporting ID goes, consists of ad hoc arguments and semantics?

IP: N0q0Isx4+7dYJad0

Actually....This is just another thread for evolutionist to SOUND OFF. From where I sit, it appears you can't STAND to see other people believe and have faith in GOD. You like to reduce GOD to a ROCK. HOW LAME an arguement is that?

• ballistic
    ballistic

yes, I heard about the ID cards thingy they are bringing out.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

ID de minimus non curat

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit