Holiday Pagan Chart of JW's

by Little Bo Peep 12 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Little Bo Peep
    Little Bo Peep

In looking through my files I came across this interesting information. I may have orginally found this link here, but it was 2 years ago and my mind is a blurr from then. The chart has a column for Pagan Custom, WT Reason, Reality Check. Gives much to think about. Heres the link, which I just checked to see if it was still up and running: www.escapefromwatchtower.com/holidays. Enjoy!

Peep

• greendawn
    greendawn

What the JWs never realise is that it is the spirit behind the act that really matters, even if some things have pagan origins their pagan content and spirit was detached long ago and a christian one grafted on them. Eg Christmas is all about Jesus so who cares about Saturnalia etc who even knows about them?

• Little Bo Peep
    Little Bo Peep

What things in our world today don't have some kind of pagan origin? I think you could trace nearly everything back that it might have been used by pagans. Where did the pagan rituals get their origins?

Peep

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga

Very cool chart... thanks for the link!

*save*

• Lady Liberty
    Lady Liberty

Dear Little Bo Peep,

Thank you for the chart!!! It is amazing at how many things have a pagan background, yet, the Society ignores, but then they will pick out certain ones and say the JWs can't do those. A pick and choose of sorts.

Love ya!

Lady Liberty

• Sheri
    Sheri

I thought the scene from Over the Hedge was so funny when the annimals thought they had to start worshipping the hedge.

Just like mankind when there was no God interacting with them they looked to the things that they could see, forces of nature and worshipped them.

Peace & Love,

Sheri

• Clam
    Clam

Ha ha thanks Bo Peep - excellent stuff. Being a Brit I'd missed the fact that US JW's aren't allowed to celebrate Thanksgiving. Evil Satanic nationalism and all that - sigh.

• ICBehindtheCurtain
    ICBehindtheCurtain

Pagans are kool!!!

IC

• rebel8
    rebel8

I think it would be very interesting to add even more stuff to that list--specifically, more items that have "pagan" origins but in fact are allowed/encouraged. Examples:

red lipstick (how women would identify themselves as prostitutes)

hearts, stars, etc. (symbol used in "false" worship)

wedding veils (hide beauty from the demons so they don't get jealous)

bridesmaids (confuse the demons so they don't bother the bride)

etc..............................Anyone know any more?

One of the quickest ways to make a jw understand they are really following men, not God is to give examples like these and to ask them how they determine which things are ok and which things aren't. It's not from the Bible, that's for sure.

• daystar
    daystar
    What the JWs never realise is that it is the spirit behind the act that really matters, even if some things have pagan origins their pagan content and spirit was detached long ago and a christian one grafted on them. Eg Christmas is all about Jesus so who cares about Saturnalia etc who even knows about them?

What most Christians never realize is that it is nigh impossible to detach the pagan content and spirit. The Tree, the date itself!!

This is one subject on which I rather agree with the JWs on. Fortunately for me, I'm no Christian, so quite enjoy these pagan holidays, even if the Christians have tried to haphazardly patch their savior onto it. (or is it ?)

The western church leaders selected DEC-25 because this was already the date recognized throughout the Roman Empire as the birthday of various Pagan gods.

http://www.religioustolerance.org/winter_solstice.htm

I think LT just started another thread discussing this rather similarly, though differently. - http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/12/122775/1.ashx

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit