why can the big bang now be excepted by dubs

by looseend 10 Replies latest jw friends

• looseend
    looseend

growing up i was always told, (like most of you) that evolution was crap. my dads friend was visiting (who is an elder) and was talking to my dad (who is still a dub) about how the universe could have fit in the palm of his hand at one point in time. this elder was talking about the big bang theory and how god put it in place. i find that it is just frustating that when i said that years ago it was blown out of the water.

another i love is the admitted age of the world and universe are millions and billions of years old, but the time line of man is still somehow under ten thousand years

• Highlander
    Highlander

They want to have their cake and eat it too.

I wish I could talk out of both sides of my mouth like the j-dubs can. Maybe I'd be a 'super' salesman earning a 7 figure income.

• Arthur
    Arthur

I'm sure that this elder is not talking about the same "Big Bang" theory as astronomers are. JWs can state that Jehovah's creation of the universe was manifested through a "big bang" of sorts; where massive energy was unleashed and guided by Jehovah God; by which he then arranged all of the planets, stars, and heavenly bodies into their assigned places. This does not violate any tenets of theirs; just as they can admit that micro-evolutionary changes have taken place in certain species (i.e. Galapagos Finches) without actually calling it "evolutionary". It's all in the semantics.

• looseend
    looseend

arthur that is exactly what was meant. it was a controlled explosion

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

We live in the information age. Its a whole new ball game. Fortunatley for the witnesses they have their light gets brighter and brighter theory, as long as they have that youll never be able to pin them down.

• blondie
    blondie
    this elder was talking about the big bang theory and how god put it in place.

I am curious as to what WT publications he was basing his statement on. Sounds like his personal opinion rather than any official WTS position on the big bang theory. I did a quick check of the 2005 WT-CD and found nothing in the official WTS writings to support his position.

When I was a JW, I recognized that privately held opinions of JWs were just that, not the official WTS position. I'd be curious if this man felt that the WTS shared his opinion.

Blondie

• buffalosrfree
    buffalosrfree

Are you sure he wasn't talking about sex?

• Kudra
    Kudra

I think it's like this...

Because it is pretty much universally accepted the dubs have to acknowledge the big bang (only they give it their little supernatural flair). Like evolution- they do acknowledge microevolution (which is just a part of macroevolution but the gloss over that...) but deny anything that could possible challenge anything about the JJs creating Adam (dyn-o-miiiiite!!), being disobedient, the human race needing to be destroyed so the dubs can inhabit paradise etc.

ONLY cause it threatens the line about needing salvation they are afraid of evolution of humanoids from chimp like ancestors.

-K

• Celia
    Celia

excepted ? or accepted ???

• Butters
    Butters

Big bang? Or Buttering muffins?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit