JW's shunning baptized wife and family because of unbaptized husband

by MinisterAmos 19 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• SirNose586
    SirNose586

Good thing the hubby isn't petty, but the congregation is. I really hate to see that happen. Case in point: a young brother in my hall is changing congregations. I often used him for duties because even though he has the personality of wallpaper, he is obedient and has consistent meeting attendance (just what the Borg wants). He mentioned he was worried about being able to do the mics because his hours weren't up! How stupid is that? Hours are no gauge of spirituality, but I guess they work for real Borg-ish elders.

• TheOldHippie
    TheOldHippie

All the congregation was invited to a wedding here,told from the platform. Two days later, the bridegroom-to-be calls us specifically and says that did not include my family, none of us were welcome. His mother called later to say she was sorry and that we could come - but oh no, we did not go.

• LaniB
    LaniB

I can see that happening.

When I was attending meetings a few of us single sisters were always excluded from congregation get togethers. The reason why? There was only so many single brothers (none of whom we were interested in). The single girls who were invited to congregation get togethers always had certain things in common. They were either a) pioneers, b) had their entire family in the church c) had an elder as a family member or d) all of the above. I was not able to pioneer and I had no family except a sister in the church. She was in another church and had the same kind of treatment. Her hubby did come to meetings for awhile but gave up.

It got to a stage where once when a congregation get together was being arranged by an elder's wife asked if I had a bike. I said no I didn't but I might be able to borrow one thinking I was finally being invited. She ignored me, turned to the young pioneer sister by her side and said "Don't worry **** I'm sure we will get you one from somewhere". Ït was funny in a way that so many of us were asked if we had bicycles, not because we were invited but to loan to those who were considered eligible to be invited to the congregation get together.

I gave up on meetings after the presiding elder of my congregation told me that i was depressed because i couldnt cope with life like "normal" people. I'd gone to talk to him after coping with suicidal parents and then having to deal with being raped.

I wasn't even missed

• jgnat
    jgnat

Wow, LaniB

I gave up on meetings after the presiding elder of my congregation told me that i was depressed because i couldnt cope with life like "normal" people. I'd gone to talk to him after coping with suicidal parents and then having to deal with being raped. I wasn't even missed

You know, there is absolutely nothing wrong with you. It was all them and their skewed values. Have you found new friends who value you for who you are?

• LaniB
    LaniB

Yes, I have new friends, a wonderful fiance and as might have seen from my avatar a beautiful 11mth old daughter.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Glad to hear it, Lani. Let that old congregation marinate in it's self-righteousness. You've found a better way.

• greendawn
    greendawn

There is also the informal shunning apart from the formal one, the control mechanisms in this org are very complete and efficient against anyone that comes under the least suspicion of being out of step with the FDS or slightly different from the dubs.

• moshe
    moshe

Forget inviting JW's to the pool parties. It is petty for thre JW's to not reciprocate on the invites. Actually, being cheap is what drives the average JW.

• MrsBee
    MrsBee

Im not shocked and I have never been a JW.. I just suspect that if my husband ever goes back.. He wouldnt move up in the congregation because a woman like me aint never about to be a JW .. LOL uh uh no way no how

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga

WELCOME, LaniB!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit