About early christianity: Good link!

by Hellrider 43 Replies latest watchtower bible

• gumby
    gumby

We all know that whenever a popular figure dies a tragic death, it is very common for those left behind to deify them. This isn't just an ancient practice---we still do it today (examples: JFK, Princess Diana and Elvis).

Elvis is alive and well dammit....I saw him!

It's true, popular figures are deified.......but would these jews have simply made up stories about him.....such as raising the dead, healing the sick, casting out demons? Did not these jews believe that lying was wrong according to their own law? Why would they lie?

Gumby

• juni
    juni

Hey Gumbelder!

How ya doing?

Juni

• return visitor
    return visitor

As a newly fading dub I guess I only thought I knew my bible. The points you all bring up (right or wrong) would that taken me a month of Sundays to research. But it's sure a lot of food for thought.

RV

• Beardo
    Beardo
    It's true, popular figures are deified.......but would these jews have simply made up stories about him.....such as raising the dead, healing the sick, casting out demons? Did not these jews believe that lying was wrong according to their own law? Why would they lie?

I suppose you could ask yourself the same question about any group who writes down and passes on stories, myths & legends though?

Are they actually lying or simply creating a collection of inspirational tales containing a moral theme with magical elements in place? A kind of imaginary theatre of the absurd to help hammer home a central theme to all potential listeners.

We could say that the Egyptians were the same, or the Sumerians, or the Greeks etc They all had their understanding of the supreme deity & also a series of lesser deities (from godly men, to angels, to demons). I have also read several fascinating accounts where the life of Jesus runs parallel with so-called pagan figures of worship. I'm sure you've seen these yourself.

Damn - isn't life a bitch, its just so, well, confusing

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit