About early christianity: Good link!

by Hellrider 43 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Butters
    Butters

Look, it doesn' t matter what people believe. IT's what the bible says. The bible plainly says that God is never tempted ever! Jesus is. The bible says that God never dies ever! If God died on the cross, the whole universe would collapse and existence end. God didn't die! Jesus died, and Jesus is Yoseph and Mary's son. He was fully human and not God. There is only one God, and that is the Father. (1 Cor 8:4,6)... Leolaia, Helenistic Judaism is wrong too! I don't care for any religions. They are all wrong. If you go by the bible alone, you don't get religions you get a book that never mentions the word "Trinity", doesn't teach a trinity, and has a Messiah that doesn' teach a trinity. Those of us who rely on the bible for information and not men or doctrines of men, know this is quite easy. Post conciliar creeds are heresy to a book that doesn't teach the idea. Jesus quoted the SHEMA (Mark 12:28,29) of Dueteronomy 6:4 very well. Please explain why Jesus himself denies what everyone else forces him to think and believe. If Jesus tells me that God is ONE, I believe him and not the trinitarian psychobabble or the WT's bable about an archangel becoming a man either...

The real simple fact is understanding the fact that Yahweh's set apart mindset (holy spirit) came upon Miriyam, and inhabited her. She conceived in her mind that she would bare the Messiah in her womb, and came together with her husband and had their child, after the angel told Yoseph not to fear what was going on inside her mind, don't put her away, take her to be your wife, etc... the seed of David... This was David's son, a human baby boy that was nourished on the Hebrew bible, and learned the Torah, grew up and received the Holy spirit himself when John baptized him (Mt 3:16-) and taught about the coming Kingdom in Jerusalem, then he was tortured on a staurous, and died, raised back to HUMAN life, and is still a human today (1st Timothy 2:5, Luke 24:37-42)...

I would like to hear how you Trinitarians explain Revelation 1:1 also... Why does God need a revelation from God?

That's what the bible says.

• Hellrider
    Hellrider

Calm down Butters, I never intended to start (yet) another trinity-thread. Let`s not discuss the trinity in itself in this thread too. I just offered folks a good text. for those interested in early christianity. Yes, the author is clearly a trinitarian, but that doesn`t mean that what he says about the early church fathers views, isn`t true. If you read what they said themselves, it`s pretty clear that trinitarian thought was part of christianity at least since the 2d century. And if it was part of christianity ever since the 2nd century, there is no reason to conclude that there was some "great apostasy" in at the end of the first century, and that the very first christians were non-trinitarians. There is absolutely no evidence that the early christians were non-trinitarians, and when the WTS claims that the trinity came as a result of an apostasy in the 3rd century, they are simply lying. Now, you can of course claim that the early church fathers were wrong! - and that they never should have believed in the trinity, but you can`t deny that they did! And then the dilemma arises, of course, that these early fathers of the church, are the same ones that canonised the books of the Bible.

Just one more thing: Arius theology was rejected at the church council in Nicea in 325 AD. But by this time, he had been spreding his ideas for a long time, and the fact is that his view was the minority-view! And everything points to that Arius idea of a created Son was a relatively new idea (with the exception of some minor groups, such as the jewish Ebionites, but the Ebionites also rejected all the books except Hebrews...), that the majority of the christians at this time did not hold!

The sad fact is that all the non-trinitarian offsprings of all the 17th and 18th century adventist-sects are basing their beliefs and doctrines on a completely new way of reading the Bible (not even that similar to Arius own views), without any concern of what the chirstians of the first few centuries believed. I don`t personally have any stakes in it, but I am just gloating over, and enjoying the complete lack of historical knowledge jws have...

• Butters
    Butters

What is not sane about this thought process is that you are suggesting that people's minds be influenced by 2nd century thought instead of the opposing 1st century thought that has no trinity or any other philosophy not taught by the canon of the bible.

If you don't mind though, could you please address Revelation 1:1 for me? Why did God need a revelation from God? And did the other 3rd God need a revelation from God also? How many parts of God needed a revelation from themselves? Rather schizophrenic if you ask me. The real fact of the matter is that Jesus is just a human and nothing more then the very best human to ever live according to the BIBLE... The 2nd century from the 1st is like comparing the 19th to the 20th. Cell phones werent' around in the 19th century. The trinity wasn't around in the 1st, but became an idea of man in the 2nd sometime during that 100 year period... It's definitely not what the bible teaches though, and that is all I need to know.

Your link lacks tact. It is bias towards false philosophies and doctrines of man.

Butters

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow
    He was fully human and not God.

The Episcopal Church teaches that Jesus was fully human.

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

Butters - there aren't that many Trinitarians posting here. I'm not.

• Hellrider
    Hellrider

Butters:

What is not sane about this thought process is that you are suggesting that people's minds be influenced by 2nd century thought instead of the opposing 1st century thought that has no trinity or any other philosophy not taught by the canon of the bible.
    The 2nd century from the 1st is like comparing the 19th to the 20th. Cell phones werent' around in the 19th century. The trinity wasn't around in the 1st, but became an idea of man in the 2nd sometime during that 100 year period...

But you don`t know that! There are practically no writings about christianity from the first century, other than the letters and gospels that were included in the Bible, and these letters and gospels are ambigous on the matter, and so are the very few writings of the very earliest church fatehrs. I believe that trinitarianism was part of christianity from the very beginning, I can prove that it was part of christianity from the 2nd century, but not the first. You, on the other hand, can`t prove that it was not part of christianity from the 1st century, but believe that it was not, and that it first appeared in the 2nd century. That`s perfectly fine, but neither of us can prove anything about the 1st century.

However: Tertullian lived from 145-185 / 220-240. If he was born as early as 145, that places him pretty close to the first century, and the teachings of the first century, and Tertullian wrote more than 825 pages about christianity. He wrote, in Against Praxeas:

"We define that there are two, the Father and the Son, and three with the Holy Spirit, and this number is made by the pattern of salvation...[which] brings about unity in trinity, interrelating the three, the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. They are three, not in dignity, but in degree, not in substance but in form, not in power but in kind. They are of one substance and power, because there is one God from whom these degrees, forms and kinds devolve in the name of Father, Son and Holy Spirit." (Adv. Prax. 23; PL 2.156-7).

About the very earliest church fathers: They did express themselves in trinitarian terms, although never explicitly saying that the three are one:

Justin Martyr (100?-165?)
    "For, in the name of God, the Father and Lord of the universe, and of our Savior Jesus Christ, and of the Holy Spirit, they then receive the washing with water" (First Apol., LXI).

Ignatius of Antioch (died 98/117)
    "In Christ Jesus our Lord, by whom and with whom be glory and power to the Father with the Holy Spirit for ever" (n. 7; PG 5.988).

And now, let`s look at Origen:

Origen (185-254). Alexandrian theologian. Defended Christianity and wrote much about Christianity.
    "If anyone would say that the Word of God or the Wisdom of God had a beginning, let him beware lest he direct his impiety rather against the unbegotten Father, since he denies that he was always Father, and that he has always begotten the Word, and that he always had wisdom in all previous times or ages or whatever can be imagined in priority...There can be no more ancient title of almighty God than that of Father, and it is through the Son that he is Father" (De Princ. 1.2.; PG 11.132).
    "For if [the Holy Spirit were not eternally as He is, and had received knowledge at some time and then became the Holy Spirit] this were the case, the Holy Spirit would never be reckoned in the unity of the Trinity, i.e., along with the unchangeable Father and His Son, unless He had always been the Holy Spirit." (Alexander Roberts and James Donaldson, eds., The Ante-Nicene Fathers, Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 1975 rpt., Vol. 4, p. 253, de Principiis, 1.111.4)
    "Moreover, nothing in the Trinity can be called greater or less, since the fountain of divinity alone contains all things by His word and reason, and by the Spirit of His mouth sanctifies all things which are worthy of sanctification..." (Roberts and Donaldson, Ante-Nicene Fathers, Vol. 4, p. 255, de Principii., I. iii. 7).

Are you honestly going to say that in just a 100 years, christianity went from non-trinitarianism (according to you, considered the only proper form of christianity the 1st century) to Origens almost completed and perfected trinitarianism, just a 100-150 years later??? Wouldn`t some of the 1st and early 2nd century "correct" christians write and protest with all their might against this horrible heresy, as they saw it developing? Why is it that only Arius, his (few) folowers, and a very few other sects denied the trinity?

• barry
    barry

Episcopalians, Seventh day adventists , Baptists , Methodists all beleive the same on the Trinity.basically. God is Father Son and Holy Spirit ;that make up one God. Three persons make up one god. All have allways existed.

The incarnation is when Jesus or God the Son came to earth in th eform of a human. Jesus was fully god and fully man the scriptures can speak of Jesus a man and Jesus the son of God. Jesus has two natures.

When I was a young boy I went to a bible study group in the SDA church and we went throught the statement of beleif of the Episcopalian church and beleive it or not it is the same as what SDAs beleive on the Trinity as well as every other beleif. Of course the SDAs have a few extra beleifs that are not included in the Westminister confession

• jgnat
    jgnat

Here's another good link for early church history.

http://chi.gospelcom.net/index.php

I also find the Catholic Encyclopedia to be very thorough. I finally understood the whole uproar over the Gnostic/Arianism heresies from here.

http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/01637a.htm

• jgnat
    jgnat

Butters, I have yet to find a non-trinitarian explain Revelation 22:1-6. If you consider all religions false and the bible trustworthy, do you trust in your own existence? I haven't seen you mentioned in the bible.

• gumby
    gumby

It's like always say......ask 20 people who have never read the bible before to read the NT, and when they are finished reading it, ask them who Jesus is, and I'll bet you wouldn't get one person who would say he was god almighty but rather that he is gods son.....a seperate entity entirely.

Gumono

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit