Single dads...

by avishai 33 Replies latest jw friends

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere

I dated a man who had primary custody of his kids since they were 2 and 6. It raised my estimation of him as a person.

Their mom maintained joint legal custody but saw them about one weekend a month. They lived 15 miles away.

When we first started dating, though, we had a conversation about women's perception of 'single dads'. He was reluctant to let woman know because he was concerned that they would think he was a jerk - taking their mother to court and getting the kids to spite her.

The thought never crossed my mind at all.

Funny, I seem to have more respect for single dad's than for single mom's. (Hmmm )

-Aude.

• jgnat
    jgnat
    I would have been charmed to see a man raising his child on his own

Sorry, I forgot who said this. I can vouch for this statement from personal observation. I was a member of a single parent group for twenty years. We had one single dad. He didn't stay single very long. He was a babe MAGNET! For a woman in her LATE childbearing years, adopting a husband AND a child at the same time can seem like a touch of heaven.

I think, as a society, we are culturally biased that the mom MUST be good. I know I'm guilty of it. I still remember my disgust at seeing two motherly figures stagger out of the local seedy bar one late afternoon. My first thought? "Where are their children?" I'd never thought the same when I'd seen men stagger out.

It is a horror in our society to think of a child raised by a mother who DOES NOT love him. If the mother is not a nurturer, or frankly hates parental responsibility, this cultural bias can lead to some bad outcomes.

1. The mother, perhaps harboring deep resentment, raises the children anyways. She raises deeply insecure or scarred children.
    2. The mother has her children taken away and spends the next fifteen years fighting to get them back. The children, their home constantly in dispute, are unadoptable. The children are raised rootless.
    3. The mother walks away from her responsibility and becomes an instant pariah.

I hate to say it, but I think option three is the bravest, for a mother who knows she can't do it. At least the children have a hope for stability and love.

NOW, back to the topic at hand. Since men can more easily walk away from their responsibility in our society, a man who accepts it gladly is a HUGE turn-on. You have nothing to fear, Avishai. One word of caution, don't introduce new dates to your child too early. Your little family unit is very important to your child. Any shakeup of their little world will likely NOT be welcomed. The lady you introduce to your child should be a "keeper".

• wozadummy
    wozadummy

Me too Doofdadddy, my wife left us when they were 12 and 14 and I felt a bit odd as it seems there is more single mums ,but it did help me to gain the perspective of these mums and how hard it can be in all ways. eg When their mum is interstate and your daughter starts her period what do you do to advise ,help ,understand etc?

The experience taught me more empathy for ones in the same situation and I admire men who take this on but sometimes the courts don't lean to men so favourably ,I was lucky that way she did'nt want any responsibility. It's amazing ,as Katiekitten showed , that it's hard to cope with the thought of a woman abondoning their own flesh like this.

Mine are married and I have lotsa lovely grand kids now.....see there are rewards!

Steve

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere
    jgnat wrote: One word of caution, don't introduce new dates to your child too early. ...The lady you introduce to your child should be a "keeper".

As always, the voice of sound judgement.

I wholeheartedly agree. There were a few single dad's who introduced me to their kids after just one or two dates. I was not comfortable at all with this.

-Aude.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit