Single dads...

by avishai 33 Replies latest jw friends

• avishai
    avishai

Ladies? How do you react? first thought? etc.? opinions?

• avishai
    avishai

I mean dads who are primary caregivers. How do the ladies REALLY think/ handle it.

• luna2
    luna2

I was a single mom from my late 20's on. I would have been charmed to see a man raising his child on his own (can you believe that I didn't know any single fathers back when I was raising my kids alone?!)

So many men seem to be able to walk away, leaving the kids and the bulk of the responsibility for raising their children with their ex's, while they pay a monthly stipend (if they are any kind of fathers at all and have an interest in their children's quality of life) and are satisfied with bi-weekly (or even less frequent) visits.

You sound like an awesome man and a great father to me. I'm quite a bit older than you are, though. Be interesting to see what the younger gals have to say.

• ballistic
    ballistic
    So many men seem to be able to walk away, leaving the kids and the bulk of the responsibility for raising their children with their ex's, while they pay a monthly stipend (if they are any kind of fathers at all and have an interest in their children's quality of life) and are satisfied with bi-weekly (or even less frequent) visits.

I have several male friends at the moment who are seperated and having trouble gaining access. Some women aren't interested in the children maintaining a relationship with the real father in England. Or they may just slyly say things about the father so the children "don't feel like visiting this week".

• ballistic
    ballistic

P.S. my father had 3 children when he met my mother, this was back in the early 70's. His ex-wife "couldn't cope". That gave them an instant family of five children, and then had two more.

• luna2
    luna2

I know you're right, ballistic. I was thinking about my own situation (and that of at least two of my friends) only. My ex was very good about paying child support, but only saw the boys once a month for the first year we were divorced and then only twice a year for a week at Christmas and a week or two in the summer the following years. One year he only saw them once. He also didn't telephone much. It wasn't totally his fault as he was in the military and was most often posted quite a distance from where we lived...but I still found his lack of interest kind of stunning.

I know there are other men like avishai who are, if not raising their children (as he is), much more involved in their kid's lives. Just because I didn't know any of these guys personally, doesn't mean that they aren't out there.

• cyberdyne systems 101
    cyberdyne systems 101

I'm not the primary care giver to my children, but I appreciate my ex not making it hard for me to see them regularly. I see them a couple of times every week and they stay over every other weekend. Of all the regrets I have , the children are my biggest. To feel I let them down is something I always have to live with.

CS 101

• dido
    dido

I admire any man that looks after/supports/visits his children. It`s a shame that there are so many men that don`t bother to see or support them, and i think that is very sad, and unresponsible. My ex is a wonderful father and would never let any of his children go without anything.

• joanne_
    joanne_

I agree with luna, it is very nice to see a single dad take on the responsibilty. In fact, I question a mans character, if he is not involved with his kids. And when you start dating, you will have a good understanding of the ups and downs of singleparenthood. Many men who date single moms, dont understand the bond that parents have with thier kids. Chances are you are going to meet a single mom yourself and you can go into the relationship with eyes wide open.

In a nutshell, thank God, you were able to step in and take care of your children. Kids need thier dad to just as much as they need thier mother.

take care

joanne

• kerj2leev
    kerj2leev

I too am a single Dad raising my son, been doing so ever since his Mother left about a year ago. At times its a challenge, but nothing is more rewarding!

His Mother doesn't see him much, every other weekend, phone calls are few. I think it has much to do with the guilt she has for leaving, seeing him is a reminder of that. For the time I raise him though I will be remaining single, for me he needs to know my attention is 100% for him.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit