I have a sincere question....

by AGuest 57 Replies latest jw friends

• AGuest
    AGuest

if I may... and may you all have peace.

At risk of chafing some... uh, 'positions' with regard to the current 'situation' facing this nation (U.S.) and a good part of the world, I have to ask:

Just now, I was watching the opening of President Bush's address to Congress. As he entered the room, Bush was given a grand standing ovation, whistling, cheers and great applause. Unless I'm missing something... can I ask... has he DONE something that I/we don't know about yet to warrant such an accolade? I mean, he's been in office just, what, nine (9) months... and, well, this happens... and they are still trying to determine just what to do about it, yes?

Am I out of line in thinking that such tribute should be held for such a time when he has SUCCESSFULLY (and IMHO PEACEFULLY, so that does NOT mean, to me, bombing in retaliation) resolved the issue?

Or... are the people just dang glad to HAVE a 'leader', and would have applauded, cheered, whistled, etc., for whomever that may have been?

Some of you will call me naive, and I have admitted such. But in truth, I don't quite understand how a man, who nine (9) months into his post, has now on his 'watch', 'reaped' what has certainly THE most tragic event in the history of this country.

I guess I don't 'get it'. Is the applause, etc., then, just a show of unity? Or are folks really lauding Bush... and if so, may I ask for what?

Please understand that my question, while perhaps seeming puerile, is in truth, sincere. I honestly do not understand... but I want to.

I bid you peace,

A slave of Christ,

SJ

• Winston
    Winston

Shelby,

I think it just a show.

They want to show the world that everyone is behind the President.

• lauralisa
    lauralisa

Hi SJ,

I understand your question completely. I've learned a lot about the phenomenon of "personality" through my job, where I get to have daily face-to-face with major celebrities. Their status waxes and wanes, and is dependent on their exposure in the media; the media, of course, are notorious for their capriciousness; it's a circle dance that they do with each other. There is a vast sea of information... determining the validity of the pieces we are fed is the tricky part.

GWB is simply pulling off the image of the magical persona most americans are able to identify with. He has NOT screwed up yet in a major way. His daughters have managed to avoid arrest for public displays of intoxication and lewdness lately. He has not said anything that anyone could really argue or take major issue with. He wants to kick their butts! He's angry as hell, and he's not going to take it anymore. He is managing to say very little, in so many words, and it's an amazing thing to say THAT much and have 1. The average american 2. The average New York resident 3. The average military officer 4. The average firefighter 5. The average mother, father, grandma, eagle scout, federal employee, movie star, et al... not a one taking real issue with anything he says.

He's got the "stuff", whatever that is. It's interesting anthropological PhD dissertation material.

Wishing you well,

lauralisa

It's only water from a stranger's tear (Peter Gabriel)

• teejay
    teejay

Hello, Shelby,

Your questions certainly have a tongue in cheek quality to them, I must say, but I will assume you are serious and give you MY answers to them... as if you didn't know them already.

Just now, I was watching the opening of President Bush's address to Congress. As he entered the room, Bush was given a grand standing ovation, whistling, cheers and great applause. ... has he DONE something that I/we don't know about yet to warrant such an accolade?

Well, he went to Ground Zero. Said some very patriotic words. Made a Public Service Announcement...

.... oh... my bad. You said "something we don't know about." How would we know? If you mean, "something behind the scenes that has been reported on," the answer is: NO. Other than working on his speech the last 36 hours, he's been chillin'.

I mean, he's been in office just, what, nine (9) months... and, well, this happens... and they are still trying to determine just what to do about it, yes?

Yes.

Am I out of line in thinking that such tribute should be held for such a time when he has SUCCESSFULLY (and IMHO PEACEFULLY, so that does NOT mean, to me, bombing in retaliation) resolved the issue?

No, you're not out of line for thinking. It has yet to be outlawed, but they're working on it.

... are the people just dang glad to HAVE a 'leader', and would have applauded, cheered, whistled, etc., for whomever that may have been?

Yes, but please refrain from calling him "leader." Let's stick with President.

Is the applause, etc., then, just a show of unity?

Yes.

Or are folks really lauding Bush...

Not unless they are crazy. Or Republican. Or just acting for the cameras.

... and if so, may I ask for what?

n/a.

peace,
    tj

• DannyBear
    DannyBear

TjTjTj,

Let this big mean nasty Republican have his say.

The 'show' was in fact the appropriate response, any other than that rousing welcome, would offer those just looking for a window, a window to oppose, license to do so.

I was proud of every one of those government officials, for having the fortitude to look past which side of the aisle, they were sitting on.

It is only with this 'spirit' and this spirit alone, will the American people be able to stay focused. You allow the Barbara Lee'(right or wrong) to polarize this countries will, we all will lose big time.

Now at this moment in time, we don't need a grand nation wide, public debate on what to do? It is the time, it is the place, to allow the elected officials full moral and physical support. Only time will tell if their decisions were solid.

I would much rather see it done this way, than to think the president and congress, fall back to the days of Vietnam, where they chose to lie to us, in order to carry out their policies. I say lets give them all the honor, standing and clapping, an acknowledgement of the serious, almost thankless duty they now face.

Someone is going to die, someone is going to lose a father, son or daughter very soon....guess who will have to answer for them. Not you or me.

Danny

• larc
    larc

Danny,

I agree with you. It is time for us to unite as a people and remove the cancer that is terrorism. This cancer can infect and injure every country on the planet. That is why so many countries are with us, to help stamp out this evil.

• TR
    TR

Bush and co. are going to kick some terrorist ass, Shelby. Something "God" hasn't done.

TR

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
    —Edmund Burke

• Patriot
    Patriot

9 months being president of the USA is a lifetime for some.

Although I got tired of everyone applauding every 2 min. with a standing ovation, you have to realize that people admire him becuase of the tremendous task that he has undertaken.

He did not have to do what is now being done. What he proposes is huge and "risky".

I don't think that there is anyone who would want to be in his shoes right now. It's hard enough trying to run the country without having the likes of Bin Laden screwing things up.

I think this is why everyone gave him his "props" when he entered. Heck...I didn't vote for him and I applauded from my living room.

Maybe he's not the best, but he's what we got now and he'll have to do.

Mav.-

P.S. Man I sure wish I was being shipped out again-just like when we stomped some Iraqi ass 10 years ago!!

• AGuest
    AGuest

Peace to you all and thank you for your responses!

TJ: I was DEAD serious. I didn't understand. I DON'T understand how the 'world' (and that includes the WTBTS) 'sees'... and does things. My tongue was not in my cheek at all.

DBEAR: (Hey, dude!) Can I ask you... uh, just which President, Vice President, Senator, Congressman, other politician, supreme court justice, Prime Minister... or other 'related elected official' deserving of [our] 'full moral and physical support'... and 'honor, standing and clapping, acknowledgement of the serious, almost thankless duty they now face'... is going to 'die'... or 'lose a father, son or daughter very soon'... and 'answer for them'?

TR...

Bush and co. are going to kick some terrorist ass, Shelby. Something "God" hasn't done.

Actually, dear one, God has a MUCH better 'track record'. If I am not mistaken... everybody from Khadaffi to Hussein to Castro to Pol Pot to the Ayatollah Khomeni to Ben Laden... to... well, heck, just about everybody they've ever 'declared' war against... managed to escape death by U.S. hand/directive. Now, a whole HELL of a lot of women, children, and other innocent citizens have died instead. It does appear that at least when God took out a people, He GOT the leaders, yes?

I have addressed this issue elsewhere, TR. Was God justified? Who am I to say? Is earthling man? I would think they could at LEAST get their target if they wish to make such a claim. If they can't get Khadaffi and Hussein, are we really to think they will 'get' Ben Laden? But, then again... they might. At a cost of MANY innocent lives, people who do NOT support the Taliban at all, but barely have food (Afghanistan is about to run completely out of food in what, less than a month's time?), let alone a means to fight against it. The U.S. is talking about spending billions; what do you think the Afghan people have to 'put up'?

It makes me sick that the 'movers and shakers' in these matters do all of their dirty work at the cost of innocent lives. And no, I am not talking about soldiers. Soldiers 'enlist' and thus 'live by the sword'. Their CHOICE. But ain't no king, president, terrorist leader, secretary of state or prime minister gonna get HIS butt out on the battlefield. Heck, why SHOULD they... when they can make ya'll go?

SIGH! Sorry, I didn't mean to 'go' here, but TR, your 'smartbutt' comment was out of line. I asked a very legit question with all KINDS of disclaimers to show my position. Your demeanor was uncalled for.

Peace, guys... and may none of this come to be what many fear. For our children's sake... as well as THEIR children's sakes.

A slave of Christ,

SJ

• DannyBear
    DannyBear

Larc,

I will even go you one further. If we can pull this thing off totaly united, with little if any demonstrations, posturing, or blame placing, we stand the chance of mending alot of our previous national disgraces.

Racisim

If we can pull down terrorism, with our allies in tact, with our racially diverse military personnel, with every American, Jew, Arab, African, Asian, and European giving without former rankor....could this be the window, the door to solving the problem? Could be.

Bipartisan Efforts

If we maintain this current united stand. It will give an absolute new meaning to bipartisan. Could be.

Constitutional Privileges

If we do what we say we will do. Every American who ever doubted the or had witnessed a delusion of their rights, may in fact see this rectified by how we perform. Could be.

There are so many negatives that will arise out of this campaign, but there are just as many positives to unwind. Could be.

I could be wrong.

Danny

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit