Paul Did Not Write Hebrews

by Butters 12 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Butters
    Butters

For those of us who still read the Bible, and believe it, it should be noted that Paul DID NOT write Hebrews. There is a clear statement in the bible that proves this rather easily...

Hebrews 2:3 how shall we escape, if we neglect so great a salvation? which having at the first been spoken through the Lord, was confirmed unto us by them that heard;

The bible is rather clear that Paul is not the author of this. He didn't have the gospel first "confirmed to him" by OTHERS, "them that heard"... as he says in his letter to the Galatians 1:11-12

11 For I make known to you, brethren, as touching the gospel which was preached by me, that it is not after man.

12 For neither did I receive it from man, nor was I taught it, but it came to me through revelation of Jesus Christ.

Hopes this clears things up for everyone....

Butters

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Luther and Calvin noticed the same thing about 2:3, noting that Paul did not speak of his religious position in such a manner; he stressed his direct revelation from Christ (cf. Galatians 1:1-12). They also noticed the un-Pauline style and language, as well as affinities with Lukan style. Calvin supported the hypothesis originally advanced by Clement of Alexandria that the homily was written by Luke or Luke acting as Paul's interpreter, while Luther suspected that Apollos wrote it (particularly because of its use of typology which is distinctively Alexandrian; cf. its dependence on Wisdom) tho admitting that it is impossible to know either way.

Hebrews is, in fact, anonymous and makes no claims that it was written by Paul. This is probably the motivation behind the interpolation of mou "my" in 10:34 (= tois desmois mou from Philippians 1:16) in the Majority Text that was the basis of the Textus Receptus; hence the KJV refers to "compassion of me in my bonds". This pronoun is not found in the oldest MSS (e.g. P 13 P 46 A D H) and versions (e.g. the Syriac, Latin Vulgate, Coptic, Armenian), and thus does not appear in most modern critical editions and translations (cf. ASV: "them that were in bonds", NW: "those in prison").

The question is interesting however because the letter clearly has a Roman provenance or destination (cf. "those of Italy" in 13:24, which could either refer to those with the author in Rome or Italians accompanying the author elsewhere), it seems to be dependent on Romans (cf. 10:38 = Romans 1:17; 11:11-19 = Romans 4:17-21; 12:14 = Romans 14:19; 13:9 = Romans 14:3-5, 17; 13:20 = Romans 15:33), and Clement of Rome was the first writer to show dependence on Hebrews (cf. 1:3-13 = 1 Clement 36:2-5; 2:18-3:1 = 1 Clement 36:1; 3:5 = 1 Clement 17:5, 43:1; 3:7 = 1 Clement 13:1, 16:2; 4:12 = 1 Clement 21:9; 4:15 = 1 Clement 36:1; 6:18 = 27:2; ch. 11 = 1 Clement 9-12; 10:23, 11:11 = 1 Clement 27:1; 11:37 = 1 Clement 17:1; 12:1 = 1 Clement 19:2; 12:6 = 1 Clement 56:4; 12:9 = 64:1). The homily thus has an interesting connection with Rome and it was in existence by the late first century AD as the witness of 1 Clement shows; moreover, it itself is acquainted with the letters of Paul (cf. also parallels to 1 Corinthians and Galatians), so it may provide some data on the status and circulation of the Corpus Paulinum in the sub-apostolic period.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Paul may or may not have written a letter to the Hebrews upon which the Bible book is based.

The priests, editors, whatever you want to call the Christian conmen may or may not have put Paul's name to
    one of their own writings, or that of another person.

Those same priests, conmen may or may not have edited Paul's original letter to suit their purposes, so
    that the original content was drastically changed.

• XJW4EVR
    XJW4EVR

I knew that Paul may not have penned Hebrews in my Dub days. No, I don't have the reference, but I recall reading it in the thin dark blue (I don't recall the book's title), but I recollect that the WTS was of the opinion that Barnabbas may have written it. Most scholars that I have read seem to think that Luke wrote it, based on the similarities between Hebrews & Luke. Either way it still fits a major rule for canonicity, that is, that the book was written by an apostle or a close associate thereof.

Regardless of who wrote it, it is attested to by the Church fathers (demonstrated by Leolaia), and is listed in the Muratorian Manuscript, the earliest extant list of New Testament books (dated at c. 180 AD).

I'm not sure of what your point is.

• Butters
    Butters

I would not trust the Church fathers. That's one point. Trust the Torah. They don't. Love Yahweh's Sabbaths. They don't. Trust the good health habits of the food laws like Paul does. They don't. Eat clean fish, not swine. The bible teaches us proper meals. Trinity and other falsehoods, virgin birth, mary worship all that pagan stuff. Bad. Good Jewish roots. Truth.

• Ade
    Ade

Butters

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

XJW4EVR,

Afaik the WT always ascribed Hebrews to Paul.

Hebrews is not mentioned in the Muratorian fragment.

Luther ascribed it to Apollos, which was a brilliant guess (but no more) in view of the many links between this book and Alexandrine philosophy / theology and its early recognition in Alexandria.

• Ade
    Ade

Butters,
    "I would not trust the Church fathers. That's one point. Trust the Torah. They don't. Love Yahweh's Sabbaths. They don't. Trust the good health habits of the food laws like Paul does. They don't. Eat clean fish, not swine. The bible teaches us proper meals. Trinity and other falsehoods, virgin birth, mary worship all that pagan stuff. Bad. Good Jewish roots. Truth."

Some would say your good Jewish roots are the cause of most problems, so we should think carefully as to imposing our views in this way upon others my friend.Can there be found absolute evidence of what you say?? it is doubtful.You are emitting a negativity towards all others beliefs besides yours - please show us where the Torah / bible / paul implies this to be the correct mannerism of a christian or whatever they consider theirselves to be in the light of Our God. isnt Love supposed to be our greatest attribute as those who follow in Gods footsteps.

Respectfully
    Ade

• greendawn
    greendawn

It's hard to know when the author says "it was confirmed unto us" whether by "us" he means something very generalised that does not necessarily relate to himself. Us could be the Christians in general. It's virtually impossible to be sure whether Paul wrote it or someone else did.

• proplog2
    proplog2

Are you speaking about the Holy Bible?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit