Does it make you sick too??

by mama1119 10 Replies latest jw experiences

• mama1119
    mama1119

I was watching some youtube stuff yestersday and came across all the 2006 convention videos, and just watching them and hearing the songs and the dramas and seeing all the people dresses like they have for the last 20 years made me feel sick to my stomach, and all panicky....does this happen to anyone else? When you see JW doing what you used to do, does it give you a little PTS?? (post traumatic syndrome).

• hambeak
    hambeak

not really just miss some of the association

• greendawn
    greendawn

I would say how can there be so many goofballs in the world to find credibility in the utter nonsense produced by the FDS of the JWs. To me they are a herd of empty, plasticky, cartoonish, people that are not part of the New Covenent and therefore have no status. They can not be Christians so what are they?

• daystar
    daystar

It doesn't make me sick really. But the conventions were about as boring to me as watching... ... ... as watching... ... ... hell, it was just about the most boring thing ever to me. I mean, I can remember being pretty intensely focused at a number of the DCs and assemblies in my later teenage years, but I was mostly just waiting for the break so that me and the guys could go scope out hotties.

So, I don't get any PTS from it, but I'm as likely to watch any of those vids as I am to watch paint dry.

• Clam
    Clam
    I can remember being pretty intensely focused at a number of the DCs and assemblies in my later teenage years, but I was mostly just waiting for the break so that me and the guys could go scope out hotties.

Hehe - ditto.

I dreamt I was at an assembly last night. I was intensely uncomfortable, almost feeling the same as in the 'walking down the high street stark naked dream'. Any flashbacks to my JW days are unwelcome. My subconscious really knows how to piss me off, LOL.

• Moomin
    Moomin

Hi Mamma, Yes it does make me feel sick and panicky too. I wonder why we feel like that? Maybe its the idea of being there mixed in with anger and pity. Also I look at them and think of all the things I have learnt about the org, but I know if I ever got the chance to talk to any of them I would probably just go blank. This makes me feel frustrated. I wonder how long it will take before I can watch these things with no emotional effect.

• solo
    solo

well I looked thru my parents photos of their visit to Prague, which I just assumed would be sight seeing pics,

next thing I know I'm thumbing thru all the bl**dy convention photos - I've not seen this sh*te for nearly 20 years and it all looked the same.

I just think, oh god how sad. Same old words, same old smily faces, same old drama (or pyjama as we called it on account of the costumes) just same old nonsense and a complete waste of time and effort - that's how it makes me feel.

It's amazing that they still manage to convince all these people to keep on doing all this shit

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

I watched one a few days ago, for about 30 seconds. I couldn't stomach any more, it brings back mostly unhappy memories.

• Butters
    Butters

Butters at a JW convention below, undercover as professor chaos in disguise. Planting little "become a jew" tracts everywhere.

alt

• grey matters
    grey matters
    made me feel sick to my stomach, and all panicky....does this happen to anyone else? When you see JW doing what you used to do, does it give you a little PTS?? (post traumatic syndrome).
    Yes it does make me feel sick and panicky too. I wonder why we feel like that?

I have felt that way too. The advice from my therapist - you feel that way because you were part of a high control group that did its best to keep you in the center of its circle of influence. They have conditioned you to feel anxiety when you approach the outer edge of their circle.

This makes me feel frustrated. I wonder how long it will take before I can watch these things with no emotional effect.

Good question. I don't know. I get angry when I feel the anxiety we are talking about, because I know logically that there is no valid reason for it. But 30 years of conditioning is not easy to undo. My advice is just to be aware of the feeling and the reason for it. Don't put too much meaning into it. You're ok. It's normal to feel that way, given your experience.

The reason I still do the therapy thing is that it helps me to understand irrational feelings like this. I find that the better I understand them, the less they affect me, and the stronger I become.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit