by Why Georgia 25 Replies latest jw friends

• Warlock
    Warlock

ann,

It's REALLY stupid.

Warlock

• kittyeatzjdubs
    kittyeatzjdubs

Kinda makes you wonder about the next generation huh? No competitive spirit, no character building sports, sit inside all day playing video games, raised on junk food and soda, no discipline, overweight, glued to computers...

God I can't wait! These are the kids that will be taking care of me when I'm old. yay.

~luv, jojo

• parakeet
    parakeet

I don't think the schools should stop at banning tag. Long, pointy pencils are potentially deadly. Heavy books can cause foot injuries if dropped. Chalk dust is an unhealthy inhalant. Stairways -- well, don't get me started on stairways. Water fountains are accidents waiting to happen. School lunches consist of potential choking hazards. In fact, schools themselves should be abolished as vectors for contagious disease.

Perhaps children should all be swaddled in cotton until they reach the age of 18. Then we can unwrap our perfectly unharmed, inexperienced, uneducated new adults and let them loose in a competitive world. I'm sure they'll do just fine.

• undercover
    undercover

What about dodge ball? What about basketball? Football? Soccer? Baseball? Swing sets? Jump ropes?

They better replace those big fat grade school pencils with soft crayons...oh wait...no crayons...some kid might eat his. No more clapping erasers together...the dust is bad not to mention the possibility of missing and hitting yourself. No more books...damn paper cuts sting like hell.

OMFG! Don't let em ride a school bus! Those things have no seat belts or air bags!

• daystar
    daystar

http://www.saljournal.com/blogs/?p=530

Collectively, in the West especially, we are raising a bunch of wimps.

I wish I could say it's the fault of the public school systems, but I'm sure they're trying to protect themselves from what I might consider ot be frivolous lawsuits.

In elementary school, I broke my arm during "Olympic Day" hopping through tires. If something like that had happened today, I'm sure the school would fear having a suit brought against them and perhaps decide to no longer hold "Olympic Day".

• SWALKER
    SWALKER

I grew up playing dodge ball and tag almost every day at recess and I don't remember anyone getting hurt. I would venture to say that the stats for kids getting serious injuries are pretty slim....these are games that help a child develop motor skills! With all the overweight issues that kids are dealing with, it seems they would be encouraging more play, not less.

Swalker

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

Tag is not the only serious issue children face in school. Throughout elementary school I was always the tallest kid in the class, and I feel I was discriminated against. I was always made to sit at the back of the class because the shorter kids couldn't see past my head when viewing the blackboard. This caused me to be surrounded by the class clowns and troublemakers, and this stifled my education. I always had to stand in the back row for school photos as well, and this shattered my self esteem. To make matters even worse, my last name begins with an "S", so when we were called in alphabetical order to get twinkies I always got the broken ones.

I think I need to sue the school system and the Province of Ontario for allowing this to take place.

W

• kittyeatzjdubs
    kittyeatzjdubs
    Throughout elementary school I was always the tallest kid in the class, and I feel I was discriminated against. I was always made to sit at the back of the class because the shorter kids couldn't see past my head when viewing the blackboard. This caused me to be surrounded by the class clowns and troublemakers, and this stifled my education. I always had to stand in the back row for school photos as well, and this shattered my self esteem. To make matters even worse, my last name begins with an "S", so when we were called in alphabetical order to get twinkies I always got the broken ones.

So? I was the SHORTEST kid, a minority, wore glasses, AND my last name began with a W! I'm suing my parents for my genetic makeup AND the school for making me stand at the end of the lunch line....do you have any idea how scarred I am from that?!

~luv, jojo

• undercover
    undercover
    I grew up playing dodge ball and tag almost every day at recess and I don't remember anyone getting hurt.

Man, I did...I got pounded. I was one of the smaller kids and I wore glasses and I was a JW...I didn't stand a chance in the dodgeball games. I never had serious injuries, just bruises and welts...and my self-esteem was probably bruised as well.

And bruised egos and self esteem is part of the problem. Not only are schools afraid of injuries and being sued, everyone is oh so concerned about every single kids self esteem and ego. No more assigned captains and allowing them to pick teams. No more dreading being the last kid picked. No more "competitive" games where the atheletic kids rule over the fat kids. No one worries about the dumb jock's self esteem when he can't pass a simple math test, but let the geek kid get picked last for the gym class basketball game and it's a damn crisis.

• Fe2O3Girl
    Fe2O3Girl

I think that the key phrase is "liability to the school".

Is it the school's fault that they likely would be sued if a kid fell over?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit