No Tag At My Son's School....

by Why Georgia 25 Replies latest jw friends

• Why Georgia
    Why Georgia

Perhaps some of you have seen this on the news. My son's school has gotten national attention because the ban on tag. I went to the PTO meeting and spoke with the principal. This has been a rule for 10 years, but since she is the new Principal she decided to enforce it this year.

I do not agree with this particular ban. The school is 4 stories high and the stairs are very steep, I'd rather they ban stairs or shoe laces since all the kids can't tie their shoes and get hurt a lot more from those things.

We had reporters trying to gain entry into the school and just walking up to kids in unmarked vans asking them questions as they were trying to walk home. I have a lower opinion of the press now. Obviously none of them have kids.

Also, my son's school is the poorest in the city. We have a 70% poor kid, 30% rich kid ratio. I am on the committee to raise $35,000 to build a new non decrepit playground...can we get attention for this...nope...but we are getting plenty of attention for "No Tag"

Here are the articles from our local paper if anyone is interested:

http://sunchronicle.com/articles/2006/10/19/features/feature37.txt

http://sunchronicle.com/articles/2006/10/19/news/news2.txt

Best Regards,

Chrystal

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

Tag is now out during recess at Willett Elementary School in Attleboro.

So is touch football and any other unsupervised "chasing" games that are deemed to pose the risk of injury as well as liability to the school.

In doing so, she joined in a growing movement against traditional games played by young children in school gymnasiums and playgrounds. A few years ago, school administrators in the area, as well as around the country, took aim at dodgeball, saying it was an exclusionary and dangerous game. Modified versions now include softer balls and ways for children to re-enter the action.

This is fucking crazy!

I don't know what the hell is going on with this generation of kids, but it's extremely bizarre. People are trying to enfore prevention of EVERYTHING. I know a woman who has a five year old child. This child was sent home with a note, explaining that he couldn't wear this particular pair of pants to school (with the chain on the side) because he could use the chain as a weapon!

It seems like it's not only the JWs who are sucking the fun out of childhood, society is trying to do the same thing. Why don't they just ban recess altogether?

This is going in my blog...

• lisaBObeesa
    lisaBObeesa

Two years ago, my son's school banned tag AND running on the blacktop!

I noticed this year, kids are running again....I think maybe they realized it was the stupidest thing anyone ever thought of and stopped enforcing the rule.

• Mary
    Mary

Tag is now out during recess at Willett Elementary School in Attleboro.

So is touch football and any other unsupervised "chasing" games that are deemed to pose the risk of injury as well as liability to the school.

In doing so, she joined in a growing movement against traditional games played by young children in school gymnasiums and playgrounds. A few years ago, school administrators in the area, as well as around the country, took aim at dodgeball, saying it was an exclusionary and dangerous game. Modified versions now include softer balls and ways for children to re-enter the action.

Good lord......how utterly stupid. If they keep this crap up, these kids are going to become like the zombie kids at the Hall, with no outlet for pent up energy. But I guess Ritalin will take care of that eh? What's next? A ban on jumping rope? The rules get to be so ridiculous it's not even funny. Parents need to stand up and say "this is utter nonsense".

• sixsixsixtynine
    sixsixsixtynine

I thought you meant "Tag", that awful smelling body spray that teenage boys use

• Why Georgia
    Why Georgia

Our elementary school banned dodge ball a few years ago and reads story books about people having two mom's and two dad's.

I don't have a problem doing that, if there was a child with 2 mom's and 2 dad's (gay) in a class, but they just decided to do it for no reason.

I know I am in Massachusetts, but it just seems surreal. When I moved here, people thought I was a hippie because I was raised in California...but I don't think we'd do this stuff California - they do other stuff to mess up the kids...LOL!

Best Regards,

Chrystal

• Warlock
    Warlock

Now, if we could only ban the real problem..............asshole teachers and adminstrators, the kids would not only learn, but be treated like human beings.

Warlock

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

I heard about this today on the radio - Q107 John Derringer's "Tool of the day".

http://www.q107.com/john_derringer/derringer_tool.cfm?rem=24747

W

• Tuesday
    Tuesday

I thought it was the body spray or possibly spray painting stuff (which I thought all schools banned) but yeah no playing tag is pretty ridiculous.

• annalice
    annalice

WOW that is so stupid, why don't we just send our children to school in plastic bubbles? I had not heard of these childrens games being banned . It is all so stupid. I have read some articles on teachers no longer being able to use red ink to mark papers, they feel that the color red represents violence and anger so they are telling teachers in some schools to switch to "nice" "happy" colors. How stupid is that?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit