What?!

by Amanda001 45 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• undercover
    undercover

Well, today I came home from work and I found some pamphlet from a Jehovah's Witness on my doorstep. I began to read it because before I state what I believe I think it is only fair that I find out some info. It was the flyer about the end of false religion. The beginning states a good message, that people are doing crazy things in the name of their religion or God. But as I read down...

Ok, so I then went online to find out more about JW's. What I found out is that JW's seem to be involved in a cult...

This is why the WTS fears the Internet so much...

People get the tract, read it, decide to do a little research, go on the Internet, see all the negatives about the religion and realize that maybe they don't want to get mixed up in this craziness.

Even if the negatives are overstated on some sites, apparently there's enough of a problem that it would send a signal that this isn't the quaint, happy little religion they want you to believe it is.

• Inquisitor
    Inquisitor
    I still think they are a cult of stupid mean and wishful ideologies, with a level of scholarship I can't even make conversation with. But hey, that's just my opinion - A Paduan

Hi A Paduan,

"Stupid", "mean" and "stubborn" are not traits that exclusively identifies one as a cult member. Don't you think so?

In referring to scholarship, I'm not saying that they necessarily got everything right. What I mean to point to is the amount of effort that's been put into giving their doctrines some appearance of validity. I know that some mainstream Christians, in calling JWs a "cult" are all too happy to dismiss that possibility that JWs are serious about dogma until they actually encounter a well-trained JW.

How many mainstream Christians (who were never JWs) can successfully debunk JW teachings on the cross? blood transfusions? birthdays? Do they know WHY it is wrong OTHER than the fact that JWs are different?

I'm not saying that JW's don't fit the definition of a "cult" at all. I'm saying that they don't fit the definition in its entirety. And that discrepancy causes some outsiders to underestimate this high-control religious group.

I don't take kindly to people whose knee-jerk reaction is to give a religious minority over-generalised labels unless they know what they are talking about.

Not all JWs keep silent bcos they are too dumb or too scared. How about the fact that JWs actually believe what they are doing is right?? If mainstream Christians get to exercise their right to believe that the earth is young or that there is a God or that God is a Trinity because they believe these to be truths, who are these people to mock the Witnesses?

If we're gonna dislike someone at least dislike them with good reason, don't hate out of sheer ignorance.

INQ

• Inquisitor
    Inquisitor

Sorry, A Paduan, I didn't mean to sound like I was scolding you. Just that I've encountered countless times the exact same prejudice that JWs exercise towards the world, being exercised by mainstream Christians towards JWs. People hate out of misinformation or half-truths. I just can't stomach it at times. All this unreasoned prejudice...

INQ

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

Man, this new campaign to deliver the "good news" is pissing a lot of people off.

The WTS doesn't need to worry about Apostates or Satan turning people away from "god's organization", they're doing it all on their own.

• A Paduan
    A Paduan

Hi A Paduan,

"Stupid", "mean" and "stubborn" are not traits that exclusively identifies one as a cult member. Don't you think so?

I didn't write that, and I didn't wite stubborn - I wrote "stupid mean and wishful ideologies", which I believe are traits of a cult

In referring to scholarship, I'm not saying that they necessarily got everything right. What I mean to point to is the amount of effort that's been put into giving their doctrines some appearance of validity.

In referring to scholarship I'm implying basic language appropriation, for starters.

I know that some mainstream Christians, in calling JWs a "cult" are all too happy to dismiss that possibility that JWs are serious about dogma until they actually encounter a well-trained JW.

Seriousness is a requirement - when the error of a way is presented, a fool will increase the effort - zealousy is a part of 'cult'

How many mainstream Christians (who were never JWs) can successfully debunk JW teachings on the cross? blood transfusions? birthdays?

Vast numbers - usually unnoticed as they say "no thanks" at the door

• Inquisitor
    Inquisitor
    I wrote "stupid mean and wishful ideologies", which I believe are traits of a cult - A Paduan

So we agree that "stupid" and "mean" (which you definitely did write) do not necessarily describe a cult member?

"Wishful ideologies" - from whose point of view? To some, the Trinity doctrine can seem like wishful ideology, so can the veneration of Mary, the belief in miracles, the adoration of saints etc. Do individuals who suscribe to these ideologies also get labelled "cult member"? No. Why?

How many mainstream Christians (who were never JWs) can successfully debunk JW teachings on the cross? blood transfusions? birthdays?

Vast numbers - usually unnoticed as they say "no thanks" at the door

Vast numbers? Really? Not exJWs and they are skilled at rebutting Dubs? Perhaps I under estimate the mainstream Christians. I trust you're incapable of exagerration.

INQ

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit