The double standards continue to amaze me.

by alienagent 16 Replies latest jw experiences

• alienagent
    alienagent

Hello everyone!

I am so glad I found this place. Everyone is so supportive and kind! Thanks to all for your responses to my previous threads and I have taken much of your advice to heart. I had submitted my story about how difficult it has been living at home with my mother who is a devout JW. I am very happy to say that I have moved out and have my own apartment. I am also only 5 minutes from my job! Yipee! Wow, how things have improved drastically. Funny how the double standards in the "truth" continue to amaze me. My mother allows my pregnant disfellowshipped sister to live in her house and now she is going to let her boyfriend move in and live there with them. Of course I love my mother and sister both very much - they are my family, but I am about to be completely shunned as soon as my letter of disassociation is read by the elders. While they will all be forbidden to talk to me (except my DF sister) they will be accepting a DF'd relative and her "worldy" boyfriend with open arms and full accomodations. Does this make any sense? Or does anything that the WT teach make any sense to begin with? A member of this forum here gave me some excellent advice. I wish I could remember his screenname - if you recognize this please step forward because I want to give you credit. You said (not verbatim) that you treat JW's as if the they are mentally ill. Do not question the delusion that they live under. About three years ago, when my marriage fell apart, I ended up in the hospital due to severe depression. I remember seeing a lot of patients with so many delusions. It was unwise and futile for me to try and convince the schizophrenic that his "friend" was not real, but only a delusion in his mind. In fact, he may have become violent if I tried. How many witnesses have you questioned started becoming agitated and perhaps even raised their voice? I have only recently discovered the mental programming that takes place inside the organization. There is a programmed answer to every question. If you try to question the changing doctrines, the answer is always "the light is getting brighter". There is no thinking or reasoning - just a response that is planted in the brain.

The one thing that has bothered me most is that there is absolutely nothing within the organization that truly helps people with everyday living. There are no volunteer services to assist the less fortunate - no assisted living - no nothing. The solution is always more field service, meeting attendance, personal study, and more prayer. All talk and no real action. Only fellow JW's are worthy of help - that is if they are active enough and get at least the national average in field service. When I could not get out in field service one month, do you know what advice was offered? "Well, Sister Sickly can pioneer! Why can't you get at least ten hours?" I have fallen in the comparison trap numerous times.

I have a girlfriend (yes, she is an evil "worldy" girl) that has asked about my family and wants to meet them. After all, she and I are very close and it is only natural to desire acceptance from the family. She is a very sweet woman with a love for life and a love for people. I am having trouble explaining why they will avoid her. My non-JW relatives have gladly opened there arms to her and have a non-judgemental attitude. Recently my neice, who plays violin, had a concert at one of the local colleges. I love to hear her play. My girlfriend really wanted to go with me to the concert. With hesitation, I explained to my mother that I will be taking her with me to see my neice play and perhaps meet the family. My mother said: "Well, if you bring her, you won't sit with us. You will have to sit somewhere else." All the while my sister and her boyfriend will be there - he will be sitting with them as part of the family. I am terribly hurt by this. For a religion that preaches love, kindness and all the fruitages of the spirit, I see no Christ-like attributes among them. I see people who are so hypmotized and controled by a man-made organization that they have no concept of logic and reasoning.

Thanks for letting me vent!

• Andy C
    Andy C

Sad.

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

Hi alienagent,

It's good to hear that things have improved for you accommodation - wise. As for your jw fmily's obvious double standards, that is do sad, and completely unjustified. I hope things improve on that front soon as well.

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga

What the hell? They are okay with your DF'd sis and non-dub partner but won't meet or sit with yours?? What is UP with that? Have you pointed out to your Mother the incredible and obvious double-standard she is promoting here?

Cheers to you... sorry you're going through this.

Baba

• parakeet
    parakeet

alienagent, maybe you should take your girlfriend to meet your mother. They say the burnt hand teaches best.

Seriously, she would see that it's your mother, not you, who's rejecting her.

• Poztate
    Poztate
    A member of this forum here gave me some excellent advice. I wish I could remember his screenname - if you recognize this please step forward because I want to give you credit. You said (not verbatim) that you treat JW's as if the they are mentally ill. Do not question the delusion that they live under

That sounds like a garybuss type of quote to me. Even if it is not check out his other stuff at www.freeminds.org

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/member/2848.ashx

• Annie Over
    Annie Over

I'm so sorry you are being treated in such a cruel way. The love Jesus said people should have for eachother certainly does not exist in this organization.

Annie

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere

Hi Alienagent!

I don't think I've welcomed you to the board yet. (Although I do remember reading your story when it posted it. Very interesting dynamics in your family. They rival mine...!)

Poztate wrote: "That sounds like a garybuss type of quote to me."

garybuss

Re: JW parents/relatives attempts to encourage you to come back or change ...

Ever hear of the golden rule? She with the gold rules.
    My sons didn't live "WITH" me, they lived "OFF" me. My wife lives "with" me. If you're living with her, she's right and you have no rights.
    Pragmatically, I treat a Jehovah's Witness like they are mentally ill. Never agitate a person who's separated from reality and who's clinging to a delusion by challenging the delusion in any way. Respect the delusion no matter how unrespectable the delusion is!
    Best wishes, I hope it all works out the way you want!

Looks like Poztate sure knows his 'Postates...!

Again, welcome. I'm glad you found us.

-AudeSapere (meaning: Dare to Know; Dare to Think for Yourself)

(I can't format that quote just right - but it's definitely GaryB)

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

Welcome to the board.

Have you asked your mom why your sister is accepted? And her BF allowed to live there? Does it occur to you that that may result in your moms expulsion from the cong.? (which would solve the mom problem, anyhow!)

I think whoever told you to just introduce your GF to your mom was right. Just warn the GF of reality (leave it open to your mom being decent) and do it. Then its on your mom, not you.

Good luck with everything. Congrats on your escape!

• AgentSmith
    AgentSmith

Hi there Alien Agent. Glad that you are on our team now. The family thing is difficult. Do you find you have to 'dance' around subjects while talking to your mom? I hope that you and your girlfriend can get through this. Newbies all around I see....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit