Buddhism, Taoism, Meditation, and any other Non-Christian Journeys...

by exjdub 40 Replies latest jw friends

• exjdub
    exjdub

There have been a lot of Christian threads lately, so I thought that I would open a topic for other Journeys. Why? Because there is no way I will ever be a Christian again because the curtain has been opened and I can see behind it, however I have an open mind and have started some meditation practices. I have been thinking about visiting a Buddhist temple out of curiosity. So my question is two fold:

1.) For those who have visited a Buddhist temple, what is the proper protocol for visiting? The last thing I want to do is offend people by blundering in not knowing what to do, what clothes to wear, etc.

2.) What are your Non-Christian journeys? Taoism, mysticism, meditation, astral projection...whatever it is that you have chosen and why (if willing.)

Thanks!

exjdub

• Satanus
    Satanus

I went to one tibetan buddhist chanting session. They were hosptable, yet not pushy. I merely followed as they directed, to sit or whatever. I don't think that i offended anyone. It was less formal than being in a kingdom hell.

I have done a bit of meditation and what they call mysticism. It led towards a sort of self therapy.

S

• daystar
    daystar

1. Contact the temple and ask.
    2. Broadly, the Western Mystery Tradition, which includes Wicca (recently), Freemasonry, thelema, Christian Magic, Tarot, Kabbalah, along with corresponding such with eastern tradional methods. (Of great interest might be how the chakras of the eastern traditioncorrespond to the sephiroth of the Kabbalistic Tree of Life.)

It is said that there is a common source for all religions and in their purest forms they are virtually identical.

• parakeet
    parakeet

I went to a Buddhist meditation class a few weeks ago. Everyone was wearing comfortable Western-style clothing (no robes or shaved heads). A few sat on the floor for the meditation, but most sat in chairs. Everyone was friendly without any overpowering JW-style love bombing.

The class started with a guided meditation. Then the class leader talked briefly about the topic of the week, which was about the elimination of anger through the practice of dharma (meditation). Then the class concluded with another short guided meditation.

Other than a stick of burning incense, there were no stereotypical Buddhist trappings. I enjoyed the simplicity and directness of the teaching and would recommend it to anyone.

• Smiles_Smiles
    Smiles_Smiles

An open mind and a diversified journey can be most rewarding.

I havn't 'chosen' anything. I probably will never be a follower of any 'ism' 'ist' or 'ian'. But no longer being a JW inspired me to read up on other ways/beliefs/journeys. The one that most seem to decribe my journey the best was the Tao.

They all were so interesting though. Enjoy your freedom! Enjoy your journey!

Smiles

• claytoncapeletti
    claytoncapeletti

I have been practing meditation and studying buddhism for a little while now and I find it a great way to peace. It has helped me open my eyes to other possibilities other than the standard christian view on the world. I have wanted to go to a meditation class or to some kind of buddhism class but still have not been able to. Still looking for somewhere to go in S. Florida and the time to dedicate to it.

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

I regularly read the Tao Te Ching, a Taoist text, and I've done so since I was a JW elder. It's available in dozens of translations and paraphrases, and I regularly rotate them. I usually have a copy with me. You can read the whole volume in an hour.

It's not considered inspired or sacred, doesn't contain any doctrine or dogma and doesn't refer at all to any god. Just an excellent guide on how to live a life in harmony with the world we were all born into.

S4

• Sunnygal41
    Sunnygal41

I have read an enormous amount of spiritual literature, but, the path that resonates most with me is earth based spirituality, such as the native americans and shamanism...........I have studied with a shaman also.

Terri

• Butters
    Butters

I don't know if anyone noticed which was not mentioned among all these? Which one offers a "Messiah"? Christianity has stolen the Jew's Messiah and turned it into as Daystar obviously knows a sham, a Greek pagan philosophy, or Trinity, or in JW's case a preexistent angel named Michael.. Messiah according to the real Jewish history of Messiah who arrived in the 1st century was David's son. A human. Still is today too according to Paul (1 Timothy 2:5). But that is just me, I have become more of a Sabbath keeping Jew then anything... Shalom

• lowden
    lowden

Exjdub

I would say i'm leaning towards the more Eastern Philosophies at the present, though not that deeply.

One chap that was recommended to me was the late Barry Long (Try the Barry Long Foundation website) who was a remarkable modern writer that took the mysticism out of the Eastern stuff and wrote a more down to earth philosophy, whilst still keeping the depth of Eastern spirituality.

I'm currently reading a book by him about getting started in meditation.

I also agree with you with regards to the Christian journey. I feel so sorry for people still trapped on that road, following a fascist god.

Peace

Lowden

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit