Anyone else do this in the morning?

by free2beme 10 Replies latest jw friends

• free2beme
    free2beme

I get up each morning and turn on the news, right as I get out of bed. Not because I want some news to start the day, but rather this is often been a major moment in my life. I remember turning it on one morning and hearing about the first Trade Tower bombing, turning it on and hearing about the Oklahoma City bombing, turning it on and seeing the Trade Towers burning (Well, one of them, I watched the second plane hit live). Anyway, it seems to be about a five year cycle between these negative mornings of bad news to start the day. So lately I have just been expecting to turn that on and see some terrible live coverage of something that makes my jaw drop. Headlines like ....

NUCLEAR DEVICE EXPLODES IN BAY AREA OF CALIFORNIA

MAJOR TIDAL WAVE HITS HAWAII

U.S. CAPITAL BUILDING BOMBED

U.S. PRESIDENT ASSASSINATED

ASTORIED STRIKES AND KILLS MILLIONS IN ASIA

MAJOR EARTHQUAKE IN NEW YORK

Etc....

You ever have a day that starts like this, or am I just odd in flipping that television on in the morning to see what the news is saying. More often then not, it starts with, "Coming up, How to prepare for the Holidays, or an Interview with Tom Cruise."

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga

I cannot stomach the news at any time of the day, much less the first thing in the morning.

From time to time I check the Google News page... and there, at least I can read the same headline from newspapers all over the world to get a more balanced view of what the hell is happening.

News media is so slanted and sensationalized, (even CNN is sounding like FOX these days) who can listen to that?

• free2beme
    free2beme

I sense that people do not like FOX news as it is considered conservative, as it does not white wash the Democrats, like most other news programs do.

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

The other morning I looked in the mirror and it was pretty much a natural disaster. And Hawaii had an earthquake, N. Korea set off a nuke, the president is Israel is being accused of rape. . .isn't that bad enough for you? Oh, an Ken Lay is now innocent cause he died. What a world!

• CatOnARoof
    CatOnARoof

I used to watch the news often, but now its too depressing. It simply ruins my day. Maybe I have become more sensitive with age. now I force myself to watch the news at least once in 2-3 weeks just to know what's happening, and to be aware. I believe its important to know in order to be less ignorant, but it upsets me every single time.

• AnonyMouse
    AnonyMouse

US president assassinated.

Is that such a bad thing? :P .

Although, they say Cheney is from the dark depths of hell so...

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

So lately I have just been expecting to turn that on and see some terrible live coverage of something that makes my jaw drop. Headlines like ....

What I would suggest is reprograming your self with some positive self talk. And then I wouldnt watch the news or read the papers. Thats what I did when I first left the organization. The news and papers are very negative on top that the jw's are an organization of negativity. They have been preaching destruction and doom from day 1 of their sorry exhistance.You have to change the things you can, accept the things you cant change. While I pass on this advice to you. It was given to me by professional counselors. If your happy being paranoid, rock on. And dont forget to tune into the radically republican Fox net work and Bush's empire of fear.

• greendawn
    greendawn

Big disasters natural or manmade are always happening every so often so I can't see why you are so worried about these dramatic news.

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

If anything significant in the area happens the power will be off - thus no news. I always figured that if a nuclear strike hit Chicago, though only a morning commute from here, I would be the last to know. Once the sun got up we could see the mushroom cloud from here. I really think of that sometimes - this morning my power went off at about 0600 - I heard a military jet fly over in that same time span. But the power came back on - so I assumed the big cities were still here.

Jeff

• free2beme
    free2beme

I always wondered that about a nuclear war. What if it happened while I slept and woke up to find out the bombs dropped eight hours ago.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit