Does anyone see the UN as having any power?

by free2beme 12 Replies latest jw friends

• free2beme
    free2beme

I remember growing up as a Witness and thinking that the UN was this great world power. I remember hearing how it was part of this global plan of the end of days, and how Jehovah would use it to fulfill prophecy. Now, I see the UN as a giant waste of time and money and if it was disbanded tomorrow, I think it would be the best thing for the world. No one respect it, they use it, and they use it to the maximum amount that you can use a world organization. I think that it shows all the more, why the Witnesses could not get any of their prophecies right. Look at this one, as major as the UN being this major power and now in 2006 it has proven to be absolutely nothing.

Anyone else notice this?

• unbeliever
    unbeliever

The UN is a joke. Totally worthless if you ask me.

• 5thGeneration
    5thGeneration

They don't seem to have much power and their scandals may actually eventually bring them down.

• blondie
    blondie

This is a case of where the WTS covers its behind by now saying:

*** w05 1/15 p. 19 par. 16 Foregleams of God's Kingdom Become a Reality ***

Soon, Jehovah will move the world's political elements to unite in efforts to expose and devastate the spiritual harlot Babylon the Great. (Revelation 17:15-17; 18:21)

*** w05 9/15 p. 19 par. 13 Walk by Faith, Not by Sight! ***

Likewise today, Bible prophecy indicates that militarized powers within the United Nations will see religion as a disturbing element and will act to destroy modern-day Jerusalem-Christendom-as well as the rest of Babylon the Great. (Revelation 17:12-17)

and less often:

*** w99 5/1 p. 17 par. 15 "Let the Reader Use Discernment" ***

Revelation depicts "a scarlet-colored wild beast" that exists for a time, disappears, and then returns. (Revelation 17:3, 8) This beast is supported by world rulers. Details supplied in the prophecy help us to identify this symbolic beast as a peace organization that came into existence in 1919 as the League of Nations (a "disgusting thing") and that is now the United Nations. Revelation 17:16, 17 shows that God will yet put it into the hearts of certain human rulers who are prominent in this "beast" to desolate the world empire of false religion. That attack marks the outbreak of the great tribulation.

Personally, the UN couldn't fight its way out of a paper bag without the armies and armaments of the countries within it. That is where the power lies.

Blondie

• Carmel
    Carmel

I suggest you take a look at the UN website and get some other views rather than listen to the critics. Generally those folks tend to want the UN to perform magic, especially if it is in the intersts of the US. The anti UN folks used to claim it was a tool of communism. When that buggaboo went away it is now the tool of the nasty Muslims. Give me a break. The UN has been crippled by limited resources and the US is one of the biggest hypocrits of all. Pledging large $s then not paying when the neocons are in power. In spite of this, it has done far more than the League of Nations and I suspect it will evolve into a more effective organization if the member nations finally realize it is in their best intersts to adopt a lot of the principals adumbrated in its charter.

carmel

• free2beme
    free2beme

The appointed leaders, are some of the worse parts of the UN. Using their connections to make financial gains, business deals, etc. The League of Nation was around for such a short time, you can hardly compare the two. I think most nations just pay it lip service for political reasons to please the liberals in their society. Anytime they want anything done, they look to the US for everything. They treat the US like the sword of the UN. Which is not right, and should never be accepted.

• Butters
    Butters

I think they should hand it over to Chavez and then see what the witnesses do with their literature. Sort of an experiment.

• greendawn
    greendawn

They never had any real power because they never had a real army to impose their decisions. I believe their small army is made up from soldiers of member nations. The UN authority is moral rather than military.

• Beardo
    Beardo

The UN is a front used by the major players. A mask they wear to carry out their will. It is mostly ineffectual and only steps in as the problem solver when the dust settles and the slaughter is over.

• Gill
    Gill

The UN would have power if the governments chose to cooperate. Sadly, the US likes to tie the hands of the UN behind its backs and other governments have tended to veeto the excellent intentions of the UN!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit