The "generation" teaching - just to clarify!

by Beardo 19 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Beardo
    Beardo

Sorry to be a major pain in the ass - but could those " in the know " clear something up for me?

Is the " generation " teaching that was redefined during 1995 still taught to " interested ones " or have the WTBTS totally removed this generation idea from their new literature, which is used to indoctrinate a person leading up to baptism?

Any enlightenment welcome. This will be useful information for me.

I have to go out for a few hours, but will return to check any replies later.

Thanks in advance

• Pistoff
    Pistoff

Well, that is a tough one.

They basically stopped repeating the last generation (80 years, + 1914= 1994) in the year 1995.

But look at this, just pulled of the website today:

http://www.watchtower.org/library/pr/article_07.htm

"How long a time period would these last days prove to be? Jesus said regarding the era that would experience the "beginning of pangs of distress" from 1914 onward: "This generation will by no means pass away until all these things occur." (Matthew 24:8, 34-36) Thus, all the features of the last days must take place within the lifetime of one generation, the generation of 1914. So some people who were alive in 1914 will still be alive when this system comes to its end. That generation of people is now very advanced in years, indicating that there is not much time left before God brings this present system of things to an end."

Some call that bait and switch; I don't know what it is. Maybe just lazy website maintenance.

But it is still HOKUM.

• blondie
    blondie
    have the WTBTS totally removed this generation idea from their new literature

You got it, beardo. Even changed the masthead of the 1994 Awake.

Before

November 1995

After

November 1995

Why AWAKE! Is Published

...Most important, this magazine builds confidence in the Creator's promise of a peaceful and secure world before the generation that saw the events of 1914 passes away.

Why AWAKE! Is Published ...

Most important, this magazine builds confidence in the Creator's promise of a peaceful and secure world that is about to replace the present wicked, lawless system of things.

Blondie

• fokyc
    fokyc

That is so amazing! I have repeated Pistoff's direction with a correct hyperlink

http://www.watchtower.org/library/pr/article_07.htm

It just shows what a disorganised bunch they are.

fokyc

• LtCmd.Lore
    LtCmd.Lore

Actualy it very well may still be preached to people at the door. Before I came to this site I wasn't even aware that there was a change. And since it's still in the 'reasoning' book under 'last days' as proof that this system will end soooooooon I would have taught that to a householder if the issue came up.

LtCmd.Lore of the 'didn't even know what I was saying' class.

• Beardo
    Beardo

So in essence - what we are saying is then - your average JW will still teach the 'generation' teaching in a study situation and the society still 'actually' believe the essence of the generation teaching themselves, but no longer define a specific time period?

Thanks for the input so far.

• SirNose586
    SirNose586

The generation teaching has been swept under the rug. No one talks about it. No one can really explain it. No articles or talks discuss it, so the Borg keeps it quiet, all the while creeching about how close the end is!

• juni
    juni

It is a hot potato that no one wants to hold on to for long.

• headmath
    headmath

hey blondie thanks for the awake changes on the generation doctrine. This should make the JWs awake

• awol
    awol

agghhh now I'm confused again! I just read the link and the quote. It is going on about this generation.... that saw 1914 will by no means pass away until the conclusion of these signs... right.... so what is the change? that is what was always preached to me. I can't see the change??? sorry guys!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit