Why would the Society put this picture of a 'nuclear bomb' on a WT cover talking about Armageddon?

by Esse quam videri 13 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Esse quam videri
    Esse quam videri

Effects of a nuclear bomb video -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aza-2wopCFY

Just trying to understand their 'thinking'. What is the logic? How can anything in the Bible lead a person to think a nuclear bomb would be used by Jehovah? Armageddon, the war of God Almighty, and he uses nuclear bombs?

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot
    They're simply referring to the destruction that nations might inflict upon each other. There's no reason to believe that the Watchtower is implying that the big J will use nukes.
  • kairos
    kairos

Trying to play on people's fears.

Sadly, it's the JWs that were afraid when "publishing" that article as they were the ones that had to make the presentations.

That article was out just about the time I quit reporting time.

• blondie
    blondie
    I think because many non-jws think of Armaggedon as being a nuclear holocaust. The WTS sets up the premise to knock it down in the magazine.
  • Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

In the realm of religious fear mongering ,

Mankind is living in the last days of this system of things .

• steve2
    steve2

It is erroneous to think that Jehovah confines Himself to archaic theatres of war such as the crowned Christ on a white horse or indeed anyone else on horses such as the four horseman of the Apocalypse. No, Jehovah is a very mod, very progressive God,given to using cutting edge technologies of destruction. Nuclear arsenals are just the beginning.

• sowhatnow
    sowhatnow

I was never convinced that God would destroy his perfect creation, only those imperfect selfish wicked people, and with the wave of a wand, lol that can be done.

That is a good point, WHERE does it say anywhere in the bible that 'Armageddon' is going to be started by humans and their weapons.

by way of 'preaching the truth about the truth' ,

we can use this fool hearty photo I hope, to make someone think!!!

plus we all know now, its a place not an event. yay.

• TerryWalstrom
    TerryWalstrom

The GB are old men. They grew up in the Cold War era of bomb shelters.

That's their frame of reference. It was easier to scare people back then. They long for the days

of Gorbachev's birthmark on the forehead. It was so easy back then.

• WingCommander
    WingCommander

Speaking of a nuclear bomb on JW literature, I could swear up and down that back in the early 1980's there was a WT or Awake! mag that had nearly an identical mushroom cloud on it, except instead of an actual photo like the newer mag shows above, I remember it being drawn up all cartoonish like.....except scary as h*ll to my young child's mind.

Blondie or someone else, please tell me I'm not insane? I haven't been able to find this particular magazine cover, but I could just swear that it exists......I have a nearly photographic memory (I say nearly because I can't always recall the exact dates, but I see a lot of things in my head like they were yesterday) and it hardly ever betrays me.

So really, if the old magazine exists that I'm referring to, then this new one is merely a re-hashing of early 1980's fear-mongering. But what else is new in WT-Land?

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

I tend to agree with Blondie.

I think it may simply be a case of the WTS trying to get as many people interested in the magazine as possible. A lot of people aren't interested in God/religion, but may be worried about nuclear war.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit