JWs in white on bridge waiting 4 the Rapture in 1800s, anyone have quotes?

by jwfacts 19 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

In about 1881 a group of Russell's followers stood one night on a bridge in Pennsylvania dressed in white robes waiting to be taken to heaven. It was reported in a newspaper. Apparently Russell later said he was not one of the people on the bridge.

Does any one have any of the details, and links to where it may be reported?

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

Hmmm, are you sure you aren't thinking of the Millerites?

• stevenyc
    stevenyc

jwfacts, the story goes that good Friday 1878, Charles Taze Russell and a handful of followers, all clad in white robes, gathered at the Sixth Street Bridge in Pittsburgh to await the Millennial Dawn, their translation into heaven. Russell later denied the incident, Pittsburgh newspapers insisted otherwise.

I have seen this story talked about, but never seen a reference to it in watchtower lit. or could I find the newspaper in question.

steve

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

He is reported as denying it in "Faith on the March"

"I was in bed that night between 10:30 and 11:00 P.M. However, some of the more radical ones might have been there, but I was not. Neither did I expect to be taken to heaven at that time, for I felt there was much work to be done preaching the Kingdom message to the peoples of the earth before the church would be taken away"
  • Atlantis
    Atlantis

Visions Of Glory http://www.exjws.net/vg2.htm Pittsburgh newspapers reported that on the night of the Memorial of Christ's death in 1878, Russell was found on the Sixth Street Bridge dressed in a white robe, waiting to be wafted to heaven.

Russell told reporters that on that night of glory-be that was not to be, he was home in bed. "However, some of the more radical ones might have been there," he said, "but I was not." [Faith, p. 27] (Parenthetically, it's worth noting that the only holiday Witnesses celebrate is the Memorial of Christ's death-and they "celebrate" it by listening to a speech. Neither Christ's birth nor His resurrection is marked on their gloomy calendars.)

Faith On The March p.27.

http://reactor-core.org/faith-on-the-march.html#26_1

On one occasion while talking with Russell about the events of 1878, I told him that Pittsburgh papers had reported he was on the Sixth Street bridge dressed in a white robe on the night of the Memorial of Christ's death, expecting to be taken to heaven together with many others. I asked him, "Is that correct?"

Russell laughed heartily and said: "I was in bed that night between 10:30 and 11:00 P.M. However, some of the more radical ones might have been there, but I was not. Neither did I expect to be taken to heaven at that time, for I felt there was much work to be done preaching the Kingdom message to the peoples of the earth before the church would be taken away."

Cheers! Atlantis! (I am waiting to hear back from the Pittsburgh newspaper office for a photocopy from their archives or microfish). We will see!

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

Thanks everyone. Atlantis, if you ever get a copy I would love to see it.

Russell came across Barbour and 'the truth' in 1876, and believed he would be raptured to heaven in 1878. How blessed he must have felt for Jesus to have called him so close to the end. It is the same for every converted JW. They get converted being told that the end is 'just about to happen'. How fortunate they must feel. How does it feel 40 years later being told the end is just about to come?

• blondie
    blondie

BTW, there were no JWs prior to 1931. Those associated with the WTS prior to 1931 were known as Bible Students. The Bible Students continued on after 1931 and exist today in active groups around the world. (I know you know that but it is good to make a differentiation.)

Blondie

• jgnat
    jgnat

That's amazing, Atlantis. I appreciate your contributions on this board, I really do. Please don't take the next little bit too seriously.

Microfish:

Microfiche:

• Atlantis
    Atlantis

jgnat:

OOOOPPPS! Thank you jgnat! I must have had flyfishing on the brain. No harm done dear friend! We all need some corrective assistance from time to time!

Many thanks for your kindness!

Nevada please make that next cup of coffee double strength because I need to WAKE up!

Cheers! Atlantis!

• juni
    juni

Good work Atlantis! I'll be anxious to see what you came up with.

You certainly add a great deal of interesting and informative facts to the forum and I know many appreciate it.

Juni

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit