HELP with history and daniel and damned confounded circular reasoning!

by TheKings 9 Replies latest watchtower bible

• TheKings
    TheKings

i've been put into the corner arguing with my JW mom about 607/587 being the destruction of jerusalem.

i got her to admit 607 was wrong, but she says the prophecy in daniel with the cutting of the tree and removing the crown (anybody know what i'm talking about???) was referring to when in 607 the kings and nobles in jerusalem were taken captive to babylon (i think it was babylon...she confused the hell out of me) and it was destroyed in 587, but that doesn't matter.

so counting the seven times is from the time the crown was removed in 607 to 1914 and jesus' invisible reign.

anybody understand this and want to help me? please...please...pretty please...

• TheKings
    TheKings

i'm going to check back here tomorrow morning to see if i got some answers

i could have answered it back in the day but it's been way too long since i've opened up any of their books and read them. i'm out of the loop. i just need a couple hints and it will all be like riding a bicycle...you never really forget(that's the problem).

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Just have her read ch. 4 in its entirety and ask her who the tree refers to. The text makes it crystal clear that it is talking about Nebuchadnezzar and his descent into madness. Everything else that the Watchtower talks about (i.e. Gentile Times, cutting down of the kingdom, 1914, etc.) is read into the text from outside. It's like how the Society interprets the seven trumpet blasts in Revelation. There's no way a person reading Revelation would think, "Oh yeah, this must be talking about those conventions in the 1920s". The way the Society treats Daniel 4 would be analogous to them taking the story about Daniel in the lion's den in ch. 6 and treating it as a prophecy of the Great Tribulation, with the "thirty days" of v. 7 being reckoned as a period of 30 years (using the day-for-a-year "principle") that allows them to give the precise date for the Great Tribulation. That's equivalent to how they misuse ch. 4.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

Try this link http://jwfacts.com/index_files/1914.htm

First, why does she think Daniel has 2 fulfillments, none of the other prophecies in Daniel do?

The nobles were not taken in 607, I think (you will need someone to confirm it) that they were taken in 604.

Remember that all the dates the JWs use are wrong, as they have worked backwards from 1914, so had to come up with 607, which in turn means they say the captives were released in 587. Babylon was over thrown in 539, and the captives probably released in 538.

However, if your mother knows about 607 and has created her own answer, I doubt that anything you say can change her mind.You may need to try a different subject. Try to get her to admit to what things do worry her about the WTS and work on those areas.

• Lady Liberty
    Lady Liberty

Dear THEKINGS,

Welcome. Let me get this straight.. You said your Mom admitted 607 was NOT the date of Jerusalems destruction right?? And that she agreed it was destroyed in 587, correct? But her response when cornered was that it didn't matter??

Well, I hate to break it to her, but you cannot have 1914, if you don't have 607 as being the date of Jerusalems destruction. It is critical to the organizations teachings. The date 607 is critical to getting to their date of 1914. The Society teaches the destruction was in 607..not 587. Why is that?? Why don't they teach it like it really is?? Because if they take away 607 and replace it with the real date of 587, they have no foundation for thier 1914 teaching. (And as I will show you below, even withtheir dates, it still doesn't add up to 1914 if you figure it out).

She is using the seven times explanation, which by the way makes NO sence. The organization teaches, ( I hope I get this straight, correct me if I am wrong someone ) that you take the formula from several scriptures, and you don't use a 365 day year but a 360 day year..( and why is that?? Because you don't get 2,520 years with using a 365 day a year formula.) So you take 7 times... times that by 360 days in a year and you get 2,520 years. (Go figure, I could barely understand it, even using a publication, that's why I am foggy on it now). So you supposedly take 607 and somehow get to 1914 using 2,520 years.

HOWEVER...... Just a while ago Leolaia posted this on a whole thread about 2,520 years. Here is what she pointed out:

There was no such thing as a "prophetic calendar". The texts in Daniel (e.g. 7:25, 10:4, 12:11-12; note that 4:16, 32 makes no allusion to calendrical details like the other texts) and Revelation (11:2-3, 12:6, 14) instead reflect the priestly solar calendar which was followed by the Sadducees, the Essenes, and the authors of the Book of Luminaries of 1 Enoch and Jubilees. It had twelve months of 30 days each, which were arranged in four seasons of equal length; thus Revelation 11:2-3 correctly states that 1,260 days equalled 42 months. The actual length of the year however was 364 days (instead of 360 days) since in between the seasons were the intercalary markers of the seasons: the two equinoxes and the two solstices. It was only in the latter history of the calendar that these epigomenal days became counted within the months. We know that the year was not literally 360 days in length because it was sabbatical in nature (with the festivals and sabbaths falling on the same day of the week each year), and 364 is evenly divisible by 7, producing 52 weeks a year. Moreover, sabbatical years would also have an intercalary week to make good the extra day omitted by the 364-day scheme, making it essentially the same length as the Julian calendar.

Ignorant of the actual mechanics of the calendar, the Society is actually correct that the 1,260 days of Revelation (and by extension their 2,520 days) include extra days when reckoned sequentially, for this time period does indeed skip over the non-monthly epagomenal days. That is to say, 2,520 years would not consist of 907,200 days as if the epagomenal days did not exist. They do exist -- they are necessary for the sabbatical compenent of the calendar to work. The Society's error instead (aside from the blatant misinterpretation of Daniel 4) is that in computing the "seven times" as a period of consecutive day-years, they failed to take these epagomenal days into account. A seven-year period in the solar calendar amounted to 2,548 consecutive days when reckoned yearly (while only 2,520 of those would be monthly days), and the seventh year -- being sabbatical -- would add an extra week, hence a total of 2,555 days. So instead of 1878 or 1879, and instead of 1914, the Society should have instead calculated a consecutive period of day-years as leading to the date 1949.

Here is the link to the entire thread..it may be of help to you:http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/12/121279/1.ashx

So..even using their own dates, their formula DOES NOT put them at 1914, but 1949! Crazy hugh!! If your Mom still says what does it matter, then tell her for truth to be truth, it has to be 100% true. Are they not representing God??? (what a joke) Either the things they are teaching people is truthful, or it isn't. We all know it's not, but how could she teach someone at the door, say in a Bible study, the Societys teaching of 607, if she knows in her heart it is not accurate or truthful??

This very issue is what got my husband and I out. It is deep, but VERY powerful. Please take the time and effort to understand what they teach, and how it cannot withstand honest reasoning. Please ask Leolia, or Alan F for help, they are awesome on this issue!! They will help you!!

Sincerely,

Lady Liberty

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

So , as I get it , your mother says that Jerusalem may have been destroyed in 587 BCE, but that does not matter because the 70 years , and therefore the 2520 years of gentile rule had already begun in 607 BCE when the nobles were taken into exile and rule exercised by Babylon .

I guess she refers to the time when Daniel and others were taken to Babylon ? If so, perhaps direct her attention to the "Insight Book"

it-1

pp.575-576Daniel***

"(Dan´i·el) [My Judge Is God].

David’s second son, born to him at Hebron by Abigail. (1Ch 3:1) He is called Chileab at 2 Samuel 3:3. With the slaying of the firstborn, Amnon, he could feel in line for the kingship after David, but no mention is made of a usurpation, suggesting either that he respected the God-given appointment of Solomon or that he died before his father.

An outstanding prophet of Jehovah of the tribe of Judah. The writer of the book bearing his name. Very little is known of his early life, but he tells of being taken to Babylon, likely as a teenage prince, along with other royal offspring and nobles. (Da 1:3-6) This was in Jehoiakim’s third year (as tributary king to Babylon), which third year started in the spring of 618 B.C.E. (Da 1:1) With Jehoiakim’s inglorious death, Jehoiachin, his son, ruled for a few months before surrendering. Early in 617 B.C.E., Jehoiachin and other "foremost men," also young Daniel (2Ki 24:15), were taken into captivity by Nebuchadnezzar "

The destruction of Jerusalem is specifically dated by the Watchtower Society as follows:-

it-2p.1228Zedekiah***

Fall ofJerusalem. Finally (607 B.C.E.), "in the eleventh year of Zedekiah, in the fourth month, on the ninth day of the month," Jerusalem was broken through. By night Zedekiah and the men of war took to flight. Overtaken in the desert plains of Jericho, Zedekiah was taken to Nebuchadnezzar at Riblah. Zedekiah’s sons were slaughtered before his eyes. As Zedekiah was only about 32 years of age at the time, the boys could not have been very old. After witnessing the death of his sons, Zedekiah was blinded, bound with copper fetters, and taken to Babylon, where he died in the house of custody.—2Ki 25:2-7; Jer 39:2-7; 44:30; 52:6-11; compare Jer 24:8-10; Eze 12:11-16; 21:25-27.

Perhaps tell her it was a nice try, but she denies what the Society say !

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

No matter what you say or do, it sounds like she will revert to "It doesn't matter because..."
    "I can't explain it, but the WT/ Daniel Book/ Elders/ FDS understand it, besides I don't need
    to understand it as long as I have faith."

The good news is that you got her to be unsure of the doctrine. If she goes for help, she will
    discover that either you are right or the elders/ WT/ etc. don't answer your questions.
    Even if she sticks to "It doesn't matter because..." you have achieved something in her mind.

• Lady Liberty
    Lady Liberty

The good news is that you got her to be unsure of the doctrine. If she goes for help, she will
    discover that either you are right or the elders/ WT/ etc. don't answer your questions.
    Even if she sticks to "It doesn't matter because..." you have achieved something in her mind.

Yes, she will begin experiencing "Cognitive Dissonance" and "Crisis of Conscience". No matter how hard you try and put the truth behinds you, it will eat away at your conscience.

3 results for: cognitive dissonance

View results from: Dictionary | Thesaurus | Encyclopedia | the Web

Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.0.1) - Cite This Source

cognitive dissonance
    Psychology

anxiety that results from simultaneously holding contradictory or otherwise incompatible attitudes, beliefs, or the like, as when one likes a person but disapproves strongly of one of his or her habits.

[Origin: 1960–65 ]

Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.0.1)
    Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2006.
    American Heritage Dictionary - Cite This Source
    cognitive dissonance
    n.Psycholog.
    A condition of conflict or anxiety resulting from inconsistency between one's beliefs and one's actions, such as opposing the slaughter of animals and eating meat.

(Download Now or Buy the Book)
    The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
    Copyright © 2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company.
    Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.
    Merriam-Webster's Medical Dictionary - Cite This Source

Main Entry: cognitive dissonance
    Function: noun
    : psychological conflict resulting from simultaneously held incongruous beliefs and attitudes (as a fondness for smoking and a belief that it is harmful)

Merriam-Webster's Medical Dictionary, © 2002 Merriam-Webster, Inc.

Sincerely,

Lady Liberty

• TheKings
    TheKings

thank you so very much!

this is just the info i needed.

• TheKings
    TheKings

holy crap!

i looked into the daniel book and found where it said the exiles were taken 617 not 607 and i told her ...and she freaked out!

she cursed at me, threw a pillow, named every reason she could think of why i was a bad person, and told me i was ungrateful for questioning the society. i sat calmly and told her to stop with the name calling...she stopped after 15 minutes or so and told me i was mean. ...she said she would prove i was wrong, but it was mean to make her second guess what she knew.

(the day before when she thought she was right she said it was good to question. what hypocrisy )

she told me this morning that she would rather trust the society than believe any different because she had looked at th wikipedia online about it and one of their sources was questionable.

she said that everything else they teach is true and good so it doesn't matter.

what a bunch of horse manure!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit