Intellectual bullies- have you come across them?

by dido 45 Replies latest jw friends

• TopHat
    TopHat

You can add AlanF to your list of Intellectual bullies.

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/121177/2141216/post.ashx#2141216

• Genesis
    Genesis

From the poster "ascot" who has trouble posting : Dido said: but i stuck to my guns and i feel that they are the idiots, not me, they want to believe in complicated unfounded theories. I followed that whole thread. You and a couple of others gave no reasons whatsoever for your beliefs other than "I want to believe". Your refusal to look at the facts of evolution which were presented to you, (over and over and over again) indicates total apathy towards learning something about a subject which is fascinating and could teach you a lot (it did for me). Posters like Abaddon and funky were very patient with you until you showed that you were completely unwilling to budge from a Watchtower-like obstinacy about changing your viewpoints. And please give up the "I only have a high school education" plea for sympathy. I grew up a dub, didn't go to university, pioneered, served where the need was great, the whole nine yards. Only this past summer did I finally finish a Certificate in Journalism I began a few years ago. But that certainly hasn't stopped me from reading and questioning and learning from reputable internet sources, books, encyclopedias, etc. about Watchtower-taboo subjects such as (i) evolution; (ii) politics; (iii) the occult; and many others. Especially living in a university town, there are plenty of free science/history/fine arts lectures to attend. Had you actually put forth even a tiny bit of effort you'd soon realize that evolution is not a "complicated, unfounded theory". And if you really need the comfort of a supernatural being who will supposedly look after you either now or in the hereafter, as LittleToe mentioned, the two things (the fact of evolution and the belief in a creator) are not mutually exclusive. I doubt you'll do anything other than whine about how we're all ganging up on you, but you were the one who made disparaging comments about others simply because of your own intellectual laziness. And your only having a high school education is not to blame for it. and with this comment from dido: but i`ll say it loud and clear, YAWN,ok? Happy now? you’re just being childish. You post on a public discussion board and then get upset when taken to task for your snide remarks. And yes, you are upset, even though you insist that you’re ignoring posters such as Abaddon, since you started a whole new thread on the topic. And of course when posters say stuff like this: You have types who are ready to tear you apart with their teeth if you indicate you have any belief left in the bible or bible principles. Whether this is as a result of their negative experience with JWs OR because they are so "intellectual" [rolls eyeballs] I don't know and don't care. Maybe you should ask yourselves why there Christians on this board such as LittleToe who can be a believer without rejecting the evidence that science has produced. If people can’t defend their position on a subject, maybe they should just re-think their stance, do some studying on the topic and then re-engage. But that, of course, takes some effort. (note to ascot : sorry for the formating dude my browser is "f*cked up")

• dido
    dido

Funkyderek- i really need yours and genesis help to see the light, how have i survived all my life, wow, how have i managed with my pee brain?

Genesis -yawn, yawn, yawn,

TopHat, i`m luvvin your work by the way1

• acsot
    acsot

I'll try it again (thanks Genesis)

Dido said:

but i stuck to my guns and i feel that they are the idiots, not me, they want to believe in complicated unfounded theories.

I followed that whole thread. You and a couple of others gave no reasons whatsoever for your beliefs other than "I want to believe". Your refusal to look at the facts of evolution which were presented to you, (over and over and over again) indicates total apathy towards learning something about a subject which is fascinating and could teach you a lot (it did for me).

Posters like Abaddon and funky were very patient with you until you showed that you were completely unwilling to budge from a Watchtower-like obstinacy about changing your viewpoints. And please give up the "I only have a high school education" plea for sympathy. I grew up a dub, didn't go to university, pioneered, served where the need was great, the whole nine yards. Only this past summer did I finally finish a Certificate in Journalism I began a few years ago. But that certainly hasn't stopped me from reading and questioning and learning from reputable internet sources, books, encyclopedias, etc. about Watchtower-taboo subjects such as (i) evolution; (ii) politics; (iii) the occult; and many others. Especially living in a university town, there are plenty of free science/history/fine arts lectures to attend.

Had you actually put forth even a tiny bit of effort you'd soon realize that evolution is not a "complicated, unfounded theory". And if you really need the comfort of a supernatural being who will supposedly look after you either now or in the hereafter, as LittleToe mentioned, the two things (the fact of evolution and the belief in a creator) are not mutually exclusive.

I doubt you'll do anything other than whine about how we're all ganging up on you, but you were the one who made disparaging comments about others simply because of your own intellectual laziness. And your only having a high school education is not to blame for it. and with this comment from dido:

but i`ll say it loud and clear, YAWN,ok? Happy now?

you’re just being childish. You post on a public discussion board and then get upset when taken to task for your snide remarks. And yes, you are upset, even though you insist that you’re ignoring posters such as Abaddon, since you started a whole new thread on the topic. And of course when posters say stuff like this:

but i`ll say it loud and clear, YAWN,ok? Happy now?

You have types who are ready to tear you apart with their teeth if you indicate you have any belief left in the bible or bible principles. Whether this is as a result of their negative experience with JWs OR because they are so "intellectual" [rolls eyeballs] I don't know and don't care. Maybe you should ask yourselves why there Christians on this board such as LittleToe who can be a believer without rejecting the evidence that science has produced. If people can’t defend their position on a subject, maybe they should just re-think their stance, do some studying on the topic and then re-engage

• Sunnygal41
    Sunnygal41

Hey, Dido, welcome to the forum............well, there will always be some who feel that since this IS a forum, anything posted is open to vigorous discussion/argumentation. Problem is that some take it too far............my motto is live and let live and afford the other person with respect, even if you disagree. Not all think this way..........I just ignore those who become too insulting or aggressive. And, for the record, I am a high school graduate, period, and don't believe for a second that because someone has gone to college that it makes them any more intelligent than me. I'd rather be a compassionate, common sense person any day.

Terri

• Angharad
    Angharad

OK I don't really think this thread is going anywhere - I suggest the people involved take this to PM.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit