Culinary Fads

by Stephanus 18 Replies latest jw friends

• Stephanus
    Stephanus

Remember back in the 80s when olive oil was all the rage? You had to cook or douse everything with it. Then the tv chefs started to notice its shortcomings - that extra virgin wasn't very good for frying (but great for dressings) or for use in mayonnaise.

Remember when you could only cook with polyunsaturated or monounsaturated oils, otherwise you'd drop dead? Now I notice that tv chefs are not only using butter again, but lard and duck fat!

In the 90s, the big fad was balsamic vinegar - you had to use it on everything. Now, you hardly hear of it, and tv chefs are starting to rediscover plain old red and white wine vinegars.

What culinary fads do you see coming in/fading out?

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

Organic.......!!

The buzz word these days.

• daystar
    daystar

Remember when we were all told we needed to drink 8-10 glasses of water a day?

http://search.yahoo.com/search?ei=utf-8&fr=slv8-msgr&p=8%20glasses%20of%20water%20a%20day%20myth

• deeskis
    deeskis

I know what you mean Stephanus. A friend sent me an email survey the other day, and on question was: "favourite new food" I replied that I didn't know they had invented any new foods recently..........although I guess the pressure is on chefs to come up with new ideas, and keep their customers from getting bored.

In our house olive oil has always been in flavour (greek husband!) But I have noticed that wasabi is being used a lot more, in non Japanese dishes.........

WASABI........love it, clears out the sinuses!

• GentlyFeral
    GentlyFeral

Pray for me. I have just discovered the bento subculture that is taking root in the Western world.

It all started because I wanted a cute, yet grown-up, lunchbox...

gently feral

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

Sun dried tomatoes

roasted peppers

coffee(!)

tofu

wasabi anything

Who said olive oil is out? I use it for most everything-even baking when I've got a very mild tasting one.

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

chiptole

• stevenyc
    stevenyc

And let's not forget the rage of fast growing 'miracle wheat'.

steve

• XJW4EVR
    XJW4EVR

New takes on comfort foods.

Personally, nothing says downhome more that mac & cheese, and pigs in a blanket (hot dogs wrapped in Pilsbury cresent rolls) and witht he hot dogs slit & filled with sticks of cheddar cheese. I would love to see Giadda (sp?), Tyler Florence or Bobby FLay improve that peice of culinary perfection.

• snarf
    snarf

I have noticed alot of new cheeses coming out at the supermarket lately, blu cheese with jalapeno peppers, goat cheese mixed with everything, swiss with veggies chopped in it. Used to be white or yellow...lol.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit