Being asked for a ride to work:What do you think I should do?

by Midget-Sasquatch 33 Replies latest jw friends

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep
    I'm saying that it'll make the whole trip about 2.5x to 3x longer for me

I think he was being inconsiderate by asking. Just say no............ unless he is willing to provide you with bucketfulls of money to help towards your retirement

• lisavegas420
    lisavegas420

I would also say no...unless you just enjoyed his company. What happens if you don't want to go straight to work and want to stop off for a coffee or a quick shopping trip before work..blaa...you'd have to take 'ole tag along. Just say NO.

I guess he'd probably want a ride home too...when you're trying to unwind from your day..and instead..got to listen to his day.

lisa

• vitty
    vitty

I would say what a few here have advised................" I will be happy to give you a lift, IF you get to my house on time" Explain how difficult it will be for you. If he doesnt understand and takes offence, then thats his problem.

• nelly136
    nelly136

am with vitty , if you dont mind giving him a lift tell him to be at your house by whatever time you want to leave and if he doesnt show up on time leave without him.

• Been there
    Been there

You could tell the guy that you really had not planned on taking on a second job...but you would if you had too. Make it worth your trouble, say $100.00 a week. When he laughs at you hysterically say "I thought so too but if you could be in front of my house when I leave I will be glad to take you". He wants you to be a Taxi so charge him for it.

Really you are not obligated to get this guy to work and back. He should not expect it either. It never hurts to ask though. Just say "NO" without guilt.

• Scully
    Scully

I'd tell him it's just not convenient. You could say that you already have a commitment to drive your wife and kids to work/school and that doesn't leave you enough time to work in a carpool arrangement.

Why should you get up an hour earlier than you already do? Why should you get home an hour later than you already do? Why should you waste your time and gas money and wear and tear on your vehicle?

I wouldn't worry about offending him. Soon enough he'll find someone else to mooch from.

• Midget-Sasquatch
    Midget-Sasquatch

I really appreciate all the input everyone. All of us were asked if we had transportation. He doesn't strike me as a bad guy. He's as shy as me, and doesn't talk much. I wouldn't mind having him in the car. Its just all the added time eaten up in the morning. (I've got a few other things I do in the morning too that aren't his business).

If our training was for just another week or so then I wouldn't have been all that reluctant either. But without telling you what the job is, its still another 4 weeks of training and then we're "live" (working but with alot of assistance) for two weeks. After that our team is broken up and we're mixed into the company's overall scheduling (the different shifts).

So, I'll take the consensus advice. Talk straight with him. Let him know my side of things and how it'll add more to my morning plate than I'm ready to take on . If he can get to the nearest or even second nearest bus stop in my area (which are really close to me too), I'd gladly bring him aboard.

Thanks again to everyone. I just wanted to touch base with how socially well adjusted people would handle this.

Hey Arthur,

I'd think a variant of your suggestion would be fun and it would kill two birds with one stone. I could constantly preach to him in the car (he'd be dying to find an alternative ride ) and then count the time for service so that I wouldn't be inactive.

• blondie
    blondie

My vibes, say don't do it. (Also, is this person punctual? If not do you want to be waiting 15 minutes for them to come out?)

Blondie

• TopHat
    TopHat

Sounds like the guy is lazy by not taking the bus...if you pick him up he can get a few more winks of sleep. AND then he might just be bushing his teeth when you honk your horn.

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket

You've all ready answered your own question. When in doubt say no. You have more reasons not to do it then to do it. Heck the guy isn't even willing to meet you half way. I got stuck taking a girl back and forth to work. I should of never said yes. She'd have me waiting outside, taking her to the store, picking up her kid. . .I was steaming mad! I ended up leaving the damn job to get away from her!

Just say no!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit