What do you like best about the Bible?

by spectromize 22 Replies latest watchtower bible

• spectromize
    spectromize

Just a question trying to find out what most of you like best about learning some things taught in the scriptures and our worship as JW's.

• Frenchy
    Frenchy

Hmmm... difficult to say what I like best. I like the Bible's candor. I like the insights it provides into Jehovah's heart and mind although I have to admit that it is extremely difficult most of the time to fathom what He is thinking on the matter being discussed in Scripture. My favorite part of the Bible are the Gospels.

• Caliban
    Caliban

I always tell people that my favourite scripture is the bit about big fat Eglon being stuck on the loo.

It's amazing the different reactions you get...

• spectromize
    spectromize

Thanks for your expressions,

I have to tell you one of my favorites is where the scriptures talk about Jehovah's name being a strong tower. I recently had the priviledge of helping a very distressed woman on how to handle the demons harassing her by calling out Jehovah's name aloud and getting rid of objects that she had bought at a garage sale that belonged to a deceased man who possibly dabbled in spiritism.

She was really grateful and told me that everyone thought she was nuts for telling them what was going on in her house and said that I was the first person to believe her.

• Ben
    Ben

(This is Frenchy): Just a suggestion, Spectromize, from my experiences over the years with such things, keep a close eye on this person. I don't know how old you are and if you are serving as an elder or not, but please be informed that calling on Jehovah's name may not suffice for this person's problems. The problem could very well be organic, a possible chemical imbalance in the brain, or even a build up of certain drugs in her system that she has been taking. This is nothing to play with or take lightly.

Chemical imbalances can cause a person to hear voices (even voices telling them to take their own life!), induce paranoia, or even cause them to hallucinate and/or have nightmares and hear 'strange' sounds. I have had experiences with such cases.

This far more likely a medical problem than demonic attack. Talk to this person's family and alert them to the possible danger of suicide. Ask them to monitor very closely the medication this person is taking and to speak to this woman's doctor about what is happening. A high level of valium, for example, in a person's system can cause strange and frightening hallucinations and can even induce nightmares.

• spectromize
    spectromize

Thank you for giving me another angle on things and what you say could be another possibility. I will consider that option also but from our lenghthy conversation I am still convinced from some of the details that she gave me that this is for real.

• Ben
    Ben

You're welcome. It's always the wise thing to be on the safe side of something like this. My best to both of you.

• Ben
    Ben

I have several 'favorite passages' in the Bible. One of them is the passage dealing with Elijah and the prophets of Baal. Elijah was a man with incredible faith. He was a man who knelt before a crowd and called down fire from heaven. Not content with that remarkable feat, he prayed again and rain fell from heaven to end a drought that had lasted for years.

• RayfordSteele
    RayfordSteele

What do I like best about the Bible? The fact that it's always around. Doesn't change, despite certain groups best attempts at redefining it.

I also like the Psalms, for their simple, honest, takes on life. Things like, 'Dear God, please kill all my enemies!' kinda makes me smile at the honesty after living in a country full of pandering and pc-talk.

• waiting
    waiting

Dear Ray,

It's fun when new people bring up old posts. Thanks. One of my favorite Bible passages is from 1 Kings 18:21-40.

"Elijah then came near to all the people, and said, "How long will you go limping with two different opinions? If the LORD is God, follow him; but if Baal, then follow him." Then Elijah said to the people, "I, even I only, am left a prophet of the LORD; but Baal's prophets number four hundred fifty. Let two bulls be given to us; let them choose one bull for themselves, cut it in pieces, and lay it on the wood, but put no fire to it; I will prepare the other bull and lay it on the wood, but put no fire to it. Then you call on the name of your god and I will call on the name of the LORD; the god who answers by fire is indeed God." All the people answered, "Well spoken!"

Then the stage is set to prove the true God, either the Lord Jehovah or Baal. Many prophets praying to their god for a demonstration of the god's power and glory. Many rank and file members observing the prophets as to the visible outcome. As Frenchy said, Elijah was a True Believer in his God, Jehovah. If the scriptures are read, however, the Baal prophets were True Believers also.

Verse 28: "Then they cried aloud and, as was their custom, they cut themselves with swords and lances until the blood gushed out over them. As midday pased, they raved on until the time of the offering of the oblation, but there was no voice, no answer, and no response."

Elijah gave instructions to his attendants to soak his bull offering, wood, altar and the surrounding ground three times with water.

Verse 36: At the time of the offering of the oblation, the prophet Elijah came near and said, "O LORD, God of Abraham, Isaac, and Israel, let it be known this day that you are God in Israel, that I am your servant, and that I have done all these things at your bidding. Answer me, O LORD, answer me, so that this people may know that you, O LORD, are God, and that you have turned their hearts backThen the fire of the LORD fell and consumed the burnt offering, the wood, the stones, and the dust, and even licked up the water that was in the trench. When all the people saw it, they fell on their faces and said, "The LORD indeed is God; the LORD indeed is God." Elijah said to them, "Seize the prophets of Baal; do not let one of them escape." Then they seized them; and Elijah brought them down to the Wadi Kishon, and killed them there."

I suppose we, the rank and file, would be likened to the onlookers. The prophets? The religious leaders who say God is on their side. The deciding matter? Whether their prophecies come true, as evidence of God's backing.

The outcome? Best left to the reader's discretion.

Thanks, Ray, for resurrecting this thread. The Bible translation was New Revised Standard Version, bold print was added by me. Would be interesting if some others would come back in and share their favorites?

waiting

Edited by - waiting on 24 June 2000 10:23:53

Edited by - waiting on 24 June 2000 10:27:15

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit