$h*T happens

by purplesofa 29 Replies latest jw friends

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

I never knew if I was getting attacked by Satan because I was doing good.

Or If Jehovah was allowing me to be tested by Satan

If I was reaping what I had sown

If it was times and unforeseen occurances.

if i was really not going to have more put on me than I could bare

or if it was just a shitty day.

Am I the only person that stayed in a state of confusion about this?

purps

• crazyblondeb
    crazyblondeb

That's what my mother says every other day!! af

• Bodhisattva1320
    Bodhisattva1320

i always found it interesting the First Noble Truth in Buddhism is suffering IS- at least they get it right out there- don't expect any favors from above ;) i like that practical approach

1. Dukkha: "Now this, monks, is the noble truth of suffering:
      1. Birth is suffering, aging is suffering, illness is suffering, death is suffering; union with what is displeasing is suffering; separation from what is pleasing is suffering; not to get what one wants is suffering; in brief, the five aggregates subject to clinging are suffering.

1. Samudaya: Now this, monks, is the noble truth of the origin of suffering: read DESIRE
        1. It is this craving which leads to renewed existence, accompanied by delight and lust, seeking delight here and there; that is, craving for sensual pleasures, craving for existence, craving for extermination.

1. Nirodha: Now this, monks, is the noble truth of the cessation of suffering: READ NON ATTACHMENT
          1. It is the remainderless fading away and cessation of that same craving, the giving up and relinquishing of it, freedom from it, and non-reliance on it.

1. Marga: Now this, monks, is the noble truth of the way leading to the cessation of suffering: BEING A GOOD HUMAN
            1. It is this Noble Eightfold Path; that is, right view, right intention, right speech, right action, right livelihood, right effort, right mindfulness, right concentration" [2] [5] .

i copied and pasted right from wickipedia hope thats not a problem the ALL CAPS are MY translation....

the overall message i gain from this is take a look at your expectations (desire) maybe that is where the problem truly lies

peace love and all dat :)

2. DesertRat
          DesertRat

Thank you for putting into words what I felt so many times, but could never explain or understand. You are certainly not the only person to have ever felt that way..

Whenever I was having a sh*tty day (& there were many!!!), one of my first thoughts was that I had done something to displease Jehovah (what a positive thought for someone who always felt guilty just for being born..). Which meant going to 'Him' in prayer, or talking to Brother So-And-So--who was always expert at making me feel more guilty even when I had done nothing wrong..

Whenever I tried to look upon the rough spots as attacks from Satan, I felt momentarily better (after all, didn't they always tell us that tests or attacks were a 'good sign'--to be concerned if things were going 'too well?'), but that was quickly replaced by my resentment over Jehovah sitting up there in 'His' chair & just passively letting all of this happen. Which in turn was always a sore spot with me (as you might be able to glean from some of my early posts), & had quite a bit to do with my decision to leave..

Is it any wonder that some of us came out as bruised & damaged as we did???

You are not alone..

DR

3. The wanderer
          The wanderer

I totally agree with everything that
          you mentioned in your thread.

I too went through the same mental
          gymnastics trying to figure it all out.

Love and respect,

The Wanderer

4. dido
          dido

purplesofa- i always wondered about that, i used to comfort myself by saying that it was satan testing me, as i knew i was doing the right thing. Trouble is, nothing ever went right for me, it was continual suffering. I got so sick of it, in the end i got d/f as i couldn`t take the strain of trying to live a perfect life with an imperfect body, as that is what the wts expected us to do..

5. parakeet
          parakeet

purplesofa: "Am I the only person that stayed in a state of confusion about this?"

The WTS deliberately cultivates confusion and insecurity among its followers in order to keep them submissive.

For example, if the WTS points to an end-of-the-world date and it fails to materialize, the r&f are blamed for going ahead of the society. If you become depressed, it's because you're not doing enough for the WTS/Jehovah. If you're a faithful JW enduring difficulties, you're being tested by Satan. If you're an exJW enduring difficulties, Jehovah is punishing you. EVERYTHING is your fault, not the WT's.

By shifting the blame to its followers (and the followers accepting that blame), the WTS is able to retain its authority as Jehovah's mouthpiece. As many ruthless dictators before them have discovered, it's handy to keep a scapegoat close by to heap all the blame on.

6. purplesofa
          purplesofa

I just could not relax........what a stressful way to live.

7. Robdar
          Robdar

Hmmm, this:

Samudaya: Now this, monks, is the noble truth of the origin of suffering: read DESIRE

1. It is this craving which leads to renewed existence, accompanied by delight and lust, seeking delight here and there; that is, craving for sensual pleasures, craving for existence, craving for extermination.

compared to:

Nirodha: Now this, monks, is the noble truth of the cessation of suffering: READ NON ATTACHMENT

1. It is the remainderless fading away and cessation of that same craving, the giving up and relinquishing of it, freedom from it, and non-reliance on it.

With all due respect to Buddah and our gentle posters, I think I'll take "suffering".

8. outoftheorg
          outoftheorg

Purp, during the time I was a jw, I could not understand why things never seemed to work out right. Or the way I expected.

All the stress and anger I had, got even worse when the elders interfered in my marriage. All said and done it ended in divorce and me df'd.

I felt I had to see a psychologist and after our first visit, he hands me a small book on psychology that states plainly right up front , that LIFE IS DIFFICULT.

I read the whole damned book in one week. The next visit he talks about my life and asks questions about the jw's and their requirements. Then he described just how this cult increased the demand of almost every aspect of my life.

Then he talked about the mental confusion "dissonance" that happens when what is claimed to be truth by an important "in our mind" source, does not agree with what we see in real life, but we aren't aware enough, to place the blame where it belongs.

After this is where I began to "change me", to fit into the reality of life and not the lies of the wbts.

Outoftheorg

Oddly enough Years later I had a conversation with a local religious minister and the subject of psychology came up. Then during our visit he made this statement. "You know that psychology can destroy ones spirituality." I felt like saying "yeah, that's why I love it". But I didn't.

9. Share this

Google+
          Pinterest
          Reddit