*fluff alert* Little known facts about Texas

by daystar 14 Replies latest jw friends

• daystar
    daystar

I did not write this, and am not correcting spelling or grammar here. But some reasons to love Texas and its unique character...

Here are some little known, very interesting facts about Texas..

1. Beaumont to El Paso: 742 miles

2. Beaumont to Chicago: 770 miles

3. El Paso is closer to California than to Dallas

4.World's first rodeo was in Pecos, July 4, 1883.

5. The Flagship Hotel in Galveston is the only hotel in North America built over water.

6. The Heisman Trophy was named after John William Heisman who was the first full-time coach for Rice University in Houston.

7. Brazoria County has more species of birds than any other area in North America.

8. Aransas Wildlife Refuge is the winter home of North America's only remaining flock of whooping cranes.

9. Jalapeno jelly originated in Lake Jackson in 1978.

10. The worst natural disaster in U.S. history was in 1900 caused by a hurricane in which over 8000 lives were lost on Galveston Island.

11. The first word spoken from the moon, July 20, 1969, was "Houston."

12. King Ranch in South Texas is larger than Rhode Island.

13. Tropical Storm Claudette brought a US. rainfall record of 43" in 24 hours in and around Alvin in July 1979.

14. Texas is the only state to enter the U.S. by TREATY, (known as Constitution of 1845 by Republic of Texas to enter the union) instead of by annexation. This allows the Texas flag to fly at the same height as the US flag, and may divide into 4 States.

15. A Live Oak tree near Fulton is estimated to be 1500 years old.

16. Caddo Lake is the only natural lake in the state.

17. Dr Pepper was invented in Waco in 1885. There is no period after
    Dr in Dr Pepper.

18. Texas has had six capital cities:

18.1. Washington-on-the-Brazos
    18.2. Harrisburg
    18.3. Galveston
    18.4. Velasco
    18.5. West Columbia
    18.6. Austin

19. The Capitol Dome in Austin is the only dome in the U.S which is taller than the Capitol Building in Washington D.C. (by 7 feet).

20. The name Texas comes from the Hasini Indian word "tejas" meaning friends. Tejas is not Spanish for Texas.

21. The State animal is the Armadillo. (An interesting bit of trivia about the armadillo is they always have four babies! They have one egg, which splits into four, and they either have four males or four females. Well, I thought it was interesting anyway!)

22. The first domed stadium in the U.S. was the Astrodome in Houston.

23. THE TEN COMMANDMENTS - TEXAS STYLE People here in Texas have trouble with all those "shalls" and "shall nots" in the ten Commandments. Folks here just aren't used to talking in those terms. So, some folks out in west Texas got together and translated the "King James" into "King Ranch" language:

Ten Commandments, Cowboy Style.

Cowboy's Ten Commandments posted on the wall at Cross Trails Church in Fairlie, Texas.

(1) Just one God.
    (2) Honor yer Ma & Pa.
    (3) No telling tales or gossipin'.
    (4) Git yourself to Sunday meeting.
    (5) Put nothin' before God.
    (6) No foolin' around with another fellow's gal.
    (7) No killin'.
    (8) Watch yer mouth.
    (9) Don't take what ain't yers.
    (10) Don't be hankerin' for yer buddy's stuff

Now that's kinda plain an' simple don't ya think?

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

George W. Bush learned to talk in west Texas.

Rub a Dub

• serendipity
    serendipity

hi daystar, I learned a couple of things here. This is the kind of stuff they should be teaching in the year-long Texas History class they subject all 7th graders to.

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep
    the year-long Texas History class they subject all 7th graders to

OMG...really?!

• daystar
    daystar

Must you make this into a f***ing Bush thing?

• Sailor Ripley
    Sailor Ripley

Good stuff... but you may want to revise your Beaumont to Chicago, El Paso numbers. They're a little off, which distracts from the overall message.

I always liked, "The Sun'll rise and the Sun'll set and you ain't outta Texas yet! Meaning it takes over 12 hours to get across the big ol' State!

I love this state and all that it carries.

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

Must you make this into a f***ing Bush thing? Ok, Ok, but I'm sure he didn't learn to talk that way in Boston. Rub a Dub

• DesertRat
    DesertRat

I understand Austin is the 'coolest city on Earth,' & that if I ever visit I might not want to leave (that according to a friend who lived there for many years & attended the University..). Cowboys & cowgirls mingling with pierced & tattooed executives at the coffee bar--truly eclectic..

Never been there but have read & heard enough to know that I would probably insist on grabbing lunch & a brew at the original Threadgill's (out of my respect for Janis Joplin), head out to explore the surrounding Hill Country, then return in the evening to soak up some of that vibrant Austin music scene..

Other Texan sights or activities I hope to experience one day include hiking the Big Bend country, visiting the Alamo & Riverfront in San Antonio (especially at night when live bands are performing), perhaps a drive down to Port Arthur to honor Janis' roots...& who knows what else..

Every corner of the globe is unique & special in its own way, & the Lone Star state is no exception..

DR

• daystar
    daystar
    Ok, Ok, but I'm sure he didn't learn to talk that way in Boston.

Ok, but this is about Texas, not some jerk who just happens to have been raised here.

Believe it or not, we're not all a bunch of uneducated $hit-kickers.

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX

Lots of things to go and see in Texas... and I'm showing many of them to my wife - who is thrilled.

Enchanted Rock (on the list of things I still need to show her)

Hamilton Pool - she was speechless

... plus other out of the way places in the hill country above San Antonio.

But - yeah. If you ever need to drive out of the state... it can take a while. *grin*

Regards,

Jim TX

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit