I QUIT !!!

by Frannie Banannie 16 Replies latest jw friends

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie

Did any of you do something really naughty and forbidden after you left the WTS? I waited almost 6 months, then realized I could smoke because there wasn't anyone to tell me what I can and can't do, so if I WANTED to, I could smoke......so I did. It wasn't long until I began to regret doing that. I know I'd quit before the WTS and I also know that it just takes determination to quit......that it's only a habit that keeps your hands frequently busy. Still......I enjoyed doing something that's always heretofore been seemingly harmless......until this year. I don't know what's happened this year, but for some reason cigarettes don't taste that good anymore. So I started thinking to myself that I might be ready to quit smoking. It's taken me about 7 to 10 months to psych myself up for it, but lately the cons have begun to outweigh the pros re: smoking. Cigarette smoke makes a nasty sticky tarry film on all furnishings, walls and clothing in your home, besides stinking things up....and then there's the random sparks that manufacture holes in your favorite blouse/shirt/gown/dress/suit or pants. Besides, I noticed that I was mostly letting the cigarettes burn up in the ashtray and not really smoking that much. That pissed me off because I really hate to waste money for something that I'm not enjoying. Since the first of this month, I've made several attempts to quit.....attempts which only lasted until the next time CP went to the store. It's almost like my body was telling me, "HEY! I MUST have a cigarette to light!!!" Well, today my brain prevailed. This afternoon between 3 & 4 PM, I smoked my last cigarette. Oh, I caught myself repeatedly scrambling to search for a pack and light one up, but I always catch myself and think, ' you don't really like it anyway, because you're letting them burn up in the ashtray, dumb-ass.' Then I relax and continue what I'm doing. It makes me feel good everytime I catch myself. And it makes me feel really, really good to know that I actually am ready to quit and I AM doing it successfully. I hope tomorrow is just as successful, because if I can make it through approx. a week or three, I KNOW I'll be a permanent quitter. I'm off to curl up with a good book. Frannie

• Carmel
    Carmel

((((((Franie)))))))

carm

• gwyneth
    gwyneth

Best of luck!

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

YAY! GOOD for you.

I saw an old movie (put on DVD) of me and my twin brother when we were kids with our aunt and uncle yesterday. We were about 4, it was the late 60's or just early 70's and my uncle was sitting there with my brother on his knee, a beer in one hand and a cigarette in the other, trying to give him a nice cuddle. Every time he turned his face to my brother, he struggled away(apparently to breathe!). You could tell this little stinky(He was a very stinky little boy, trust me!)boy was totally disgusted by his uncles breath. I remember always having a cough and being sick when I was a kid(parents smoked too). You are doing the good thing, and for the RIGHT reason. Yourself! You can afford to go to an international apostafest with all the money you save!

• oldflame
    oldflame

I am there with you. I know it is a bitch to quit. But let me tell you, be aware of everything you do and when it is something that makes you want to smoke you do something different. I quit for two years and then started a year and a half ago. I was dating someone who smoked. At first it did not bother me, I felt like I had it under control and one day we were in the bar playing some pool, drinking some beer and I was sitting at the table and I seen that cig sitting there smoldering. My first thought was put it out, it stank terrible but then I thought I wonder if I would still like it after all this time and that was all she wrote ! I was back to smoking.

So you have to be aware of what you are doing and stay away from those things that cause you to want to smoke. In November on our state ballot here in California, they have a proposition 86 if voted in it will raise our cigs. to almost $ 7.00 a pack. I figure to hell with that I'm not going to pay that kind of price for something that is just killing me anyways. So I am right behind you once again going to put the fire out of smoking. Good Luck to you, I hope you succeed

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga

Awesome, Darlin'... YOU CAN DO IT.

Strength to you!!!

• bikerchic
    bikerchic
    hope tomorrow is just as successful, because if I can make it through approx. a week or three, I KNOW I'll be a permanent quitter. I'm off to curl up with a good book. Frannie

Good for you Frannie!

The best thing I was ever told by an X smoker when I was trying for the umpteenth time to quit is that it may take more than several attempts for it to finally take, so true! I'm telling you this so if you don't make it this time try, try again eventually it will work for you.

Best of luck it's the best gift you can give to yourself and your loved ones.

• Beardo
    Beardo

People say its hard to quit and if you believe that, you are likely to fail. Just meditate and tell yourself "this is easy" and believe it to be so. Walk away and don't look back.

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

Good luck frannie!!!

• greendawn
    greendawn

Just hung out for a few days and then the craving will stop and soon you will be joining the ranks of the non smokers, the money saved is subtantial at least in the UK where cigarettes are dreadfully expensive.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit