Raëlian movement

by DannyBloem 8 Replies latest jw friends

• DannyBloem
    DannyBloem

I met this person which was inforved with the Raëlian movement. She quite believed everything, and she was a grade 3 member, whatever that is.

The things she believed in did not sound very bad, except for some obvious things. They seem less sectarian in some ways then dubs.

Anyway, does anybody have more inside information or personal experiences about this?

DB

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

I haven't any personal experience of them, and I don't know anyone who has, but I did find this article:

altSaturday, 28 December, 2002, 05:06 GMT Who are the Raelians? Rael with model of a spaceship The sect believes humans were created by aliens
    altalt
    By David Chazan
    BBC correspondent
    alt
    alt
    The Raelian movement is the founder of the Clonaid company which claims to have produced the first cloned baby.

The movement claims to have about 40,000 members in several countries, although the number is difficult to verify.

Rael, leader of the movement Rael is said to have moved to the US, alleging harassment by the French
    The sect, which believes humans were created by extra-terrestrial beings who had mastered genetic engineering, was founded in France in 1973 by a former journalist who worked for a racing car magazine.

One December morning in 1973, journalist Claude Vorilhon was on his way to work in the French provincial town of Clermont-Ferrand.

But - according to a book written by Mr Vorilhon, who is now known as Rael - instead of going to the office, on an impulse, he drove to a nearby volcano.

International movement

There, he says, he was contacted by an extra-terrestrial being who emerged from a flying saucer and told him - in fluent French - that humans were created in laboratories by people from another planet.

The creators were known as the Elohim - a word which, in ancient Hebrew, meant "those who came from the sky".

It is used in Jewish prayers to refer to God.

Mr Vorilhon was told to spread the word of the Elohim on Earth in preparation for their return.

He describes them as being little over a metre in height, with pale green skin, almond-shaped eyes and long dark hair.

Since then the Raelians have grown into an international movement. Rael himself has reportedly relocated to the United States after complaining of harassment by the French authorities.

Eternal life

The Raelians' interest in cloning seems to stem from their belief that the human soul perishes when the body dies.

Therefore, they believe, the key to eternal life is not the soul but the recreation of individuals from their DNA.

In 1997, the group founded Clonaid, which now says it has cloned a human being.

In 1990, the Raelians changed their symbol, originally a Swastika inside a Star of David.

The idea was to improve relations with Israel and persuade the government there to let them build an embassy for the Elohim in Jerusalem.

alt
    altaltaltalt
    alt WATCH/LISTENaltalt
    altaltalt
    alt ON THIS STORYalt
    altaltaltalt
    altaltThe BBC's John Mcintyre reports on the Raelian sect "Reaction from the traditional religions is one of horror"alt
    altaltalt
    altaltalt
    See also:
    alt 13 Jan 03 | Health Cloned baby claim met with doubt 25 Oct 01 | Science/Nature Clone pregnancy 'this year' 09 Mar 01 | Science/Nature Doctors defiant on cloning 09 Aug 01 | Science/Nature Cloning doctor sparks furore 15 Nov 01 | Science/Nature Campaigners hail cloning verdict 06 Jul 01 | Science/Nature Warning over dangers of cloning Internet links:
    altScience Roslin Institute, Edinburgh Clonaid Society, Religion and Technology Project The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites Top Health stories now:
    altClimbdown on care home rules Jab to counter rise in deadly disease NHS watchdog to monitor operations ECT challenge halted Skill-sharing cuts doctors' workload Heart risk link to big families Ministers suffer second bed block defeat Ebola outbreak confirmed in Congo alt Links to more Health stories are at the foot of the page.
    alt

Just another sect with odd ideas, reminds me of something....
  • fokyc
    fokyc

You can find them here:

http://www.rael.org/

Probably just as bad as the dubs!!

fokyc

• fokyc
    fokyc

I think they are Martians, or related to ET

fokyc

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

To be fair, their teaching on that isn't really all that outlandish. Everyone who believes the Bible, believes humans were created by extraterrestrials.

extra- (outside, beyond) -terrestrial (of earth, bound to earth)

• fokyc
    fokyc
    You need to investigate this further, sounds strange but interesting, bit of a different slant from the Dubs!!
    17/06 : Raels Girls

alt The freedom to use one's own body, whether it is to work in a factory or to strip in a club, is fundamental. Why would it be a sin to work in a strip-club? What sort of god would it be who would create human beings with a sex they cannot use? Well, there is no god and our Creators want us to enjoy life freely, always of course respecting the limits of the others... and this is what Lara, our correspondant from Las Vegas tells us today. This piece also includes a statement of the Prophet Rael about strippers and the action of the JC's Girls... Now the Rael's Girls are out. To learn more listen to the beautiful voice of one of Rael's Girls!

fokyc

• purplesofa
    purplesofa
    One December morning in 1973, journalist Claude Vorilhon was on his way to work in the French provincial town of Clermont-Ferrand.

But - according to a book written by Mr Vorilhon, who is now known as Rael - instead of going to the office, on an impulse, he drove to a nearby volcano.

International movement

There, he says, he was contacted by an extra-terrestrial being who emerged from a flying saucer and told him -

Next time I am late for work..........this is the excuse I am going to use!

purps

• crazyblondeb
    crazyblondeb

Purps

I was thinking that exact thing. That, and why didn't he just jump in the volcano?

• greendawn
    greendawn

It's another wayward cult that seeks to sell spirit to the world and attract members, all this contacts with extra terrestrials are simply fairy tales.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit