Christians and dubs/treated same here

by gumby 53 Replies latest jw friends

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

My point in that statement (which both of you have jumped on) is this:
    Atheists put faith in their conclusion that there is no God.
    Believers put faith in their conclusion that there is a God.
    Everyone puts their faith in something - it's human nature.
    More or less faith is irrelevant - I wan't on about quantity.
    The quantity of faith is usually proportional to time and zeal of the individual acquiring it.

Like I said at the outset, just my 2p.

LT

"Give me a lever and a place to stand, and I'll move the world"
    "Give me a guitar and a microphone, and I'll rock the world"

• Satanus
    Satanus

gumby

The name and idea comes from the bible. As i don't believe in the biblical god, so i don't believe in the biblical satan. Maybe using this name helps me get over the ingrained wt superstition. If using the name is uncomfortable, you could shorten it to sts.

S

• gumby
    gumby

SaintSatan: Thanks for your honest reply. I don't have a problem with using your name on here unless I thought that you felt you were an agent of his.I see you do not. Again....thanks for your response.

• GentlyFeral
    GentlyFeral

LisaBObeesa,

Take this quiz, all of you who are not biased against Christians:

1. Do you want to barf when you hear “Songs for Worship” advertised on TV?

Don't watch teevee. Is this a CD/tape or a tv show? All I know is a lot of church music is no better than KingDumb songs and some of it is sublime. One of the many valuable things my former pastor (a gay atheist; UU minister) taught me was how valuable good church music could be. He chaired the commission that edited the present UU hymn book, which includes "A Mighty Fortress Is Our God," "Abide With Me," and "Sursum Corda" with FOUR different sets of lyrics.

2. Do you think non-Christians are smarter than Christians?

I think Carl Sagan was smarter than Jerry Falwell. But then, I'm pretty sure Rev. Doug Marquez, pastor of our local Metropolitan Community Church, is also smarter than Jerry Falwell. I don't happen to know any atheists who are dumber than Jerry Falwell, but I admit I don't get out much.

3. Do you know any Christians who are not ‘fundies’?

Most of the Christians I know personally are not fundies.

4. Can you name 10 possible differences between a ‘fundie’ and a, um, non-fundie?

Almost! :)

The term "Fundamentalist" comes from a book called "The Fundamentals: A Testimony to the Truth," first published in 1917 by The Bible Institute of Los Angeles. (this info courtesy http://www.xmission.com/~fidelis/)

This site has an interesting article too:

http://mb-soft.com/believe/text/fundamen.htm

Fundamentalists, basically:
    1. are opposed to modernism
    2. oppose applying the methods of historical critcism and literary criticism to the Bible
    3. believe the Bible is inerrant
    4. believe Jesus is God
    5. believe in creation rather than evolution
    6. believe that only Christians will be saved/have God's approval
    7. believe in a fiery hell

A websearch at www.religioustolerance.org turns up lots of essays that mention fundamentalism in passing.

5. Do you think that the JWs are the Christian religion that is ‘closest’ to what the Bible teaches? If not, what denomination is?

I'm still revamping my view of what the Bible teaches. I'm beginning to suspect that the closer a church adheres to what the Bible teaches, the more literally it takes the Bible, the more abusive it is likely to be. Not that Christian religions have a monopoly on moral ickiness.

6. Do you feel more uncomfortable listening to a Christian explain their beliefs than a Native American?

Depends on the Christian. And the Native American, come to think of it. My friend Brad, who's a liberal Episcopal going for his PhD in theology, can actually be charming about church history. He led my daughter's Sunday school class through his Episcopal church on a field trip. We sat in on the service and I was charmed enough to seriously consider taking communion there next Easter. (All Saints in the Haight Ashbury, San Francisco; extremely open communion -- Brad says they don't even care if you're a Christian or not).

7. Do you think many Christians ‘preach’ on this board?

I think a few Christians preach on this board. Others, like yourself most of the time, merely fellowship with us atheists, pagans and jaydubs. Much obliged.

8. Do feel an almost uncontrollable urge to tell a Christian they are wrong?

I never argue religion except in self-defense.

9. Do you feel sorry for Christians?

Not for my friend Brad, described above. I feel sorry for anyone who takes Jerry Falwell seriously, though. Or Pat Robertson. Or Jim&Tammy.

10. Do you think any exJW who becomes a Christian has just gone right back to the same crap?

Do you mean "Christian" (anything from Episcopalian to Quaker to Four Square Gospel) or "Fundamentalist"?

11. Would you be disappointed if someone you loved became a Christian?

A Quaker? A liberal Methodist? A rainbow-triangle-wearing, archaeology-reading Episcopalian? I'd be thrilled. But if I started hearing approving remarks about the Toronto Blessing, I'd be dismayed.

12. Look back at your last post to a Christian and pretend it was written by a Christian to you, instead of the other way around. would you be offended by it?
    Would you feel they were being disrespectful of your beliefs?

No.

13. Do you think that the only reason an exJW would become a Christian is because they didn’t research it as well as you have?

I'd feel that either a) s/he and Jesus were still on speaking terms (like my friend Brad) or b) s/he was looking for an excuse to cling to Biblical inerrancy.

14. Do you basically think your beliefs are superior to Christian beliefs?

If I didn't think so, I'd be a Christian. I know where to lay hold of a Bible, and where to find "Churches" in the Yellow Pages. Or even where to find Christians in my own denomination.

Actually, I still retain one belief from my bible-believing days: the Golden Rule. I find it difficult to respect anyone who doesn't live by it.

Cheers

Gently Feral

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit