Canadian Thanksgiving!

by Finally-Free 21 Replies latest jw friends

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

To all Canadians and others who like their food before the proper time, Happy Thanksgiving Day Weekend!

Have fun. Make it a safe one. Fill your faces.

W

• Scully
    Scully
    Church leaders, particularly after Confederation, felt it their moral and historical duty to shape the Canadian identity in the Christian mould and saw the adoption of the Thanksgiving holiday as a way to do this. They created the Canadian Thanksgiving as an exclusively religious event that was white, Anglo-Saxon Protestant, pro-British and often anti-American in nationalist intent.

I bet there are 1 million Canadian JWs who surreptitiously observe the holiday, even gathering with Worldly Relatives™, who completely ignore the original intent of Thanksgiving in Canada as an exclusively religious event.Growing up, we spent every Thanksgiving with Worldly Relatives™, enjoyed the turkey dinner my grandmother used to make. This was while we were very strict JWs in every other respect.

Fascinating. I'll ponder that while I make our own turkey dinner on Monday.

• juni
    juni

DON'T EAT TOO MUCH !!

• Double Edge
    Double Edge

Happy Thanksgiving CANADA !! (hmmmm, I seem to now have a strange hankering for turkey and stuffing )

• Bumble Bee
    Bumble Bee

We'll be up north roughing it, but I'll still do a small turkey in my little propane stove top oven, with stuffing, mashed potatoes, corn, gravy and cranberries!!

Then we'll have a nice walk to the beach, come back and have pumpkin pie!!! Yum yum!!

BB

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free
    Fascinating. I'll ponder that while I make our own turkey dinner on Monday.

Have fun! I won't be pondering anything other than my waistline. I have 4 dinners this weekend, and I'm off to my first one right now.

I better join a gym.

W

• Warlock
    Warlock
    I bet there are 1 million Canadian JWs who surreptitiously observe the holiday, even gathering with Worldly Relatives™, who completely ignore the original intent of Thanksgiving in Canada as an exclusively religious event . Growing up, we spent every Thanksgiving with Worldly Relatives™, enjoyed the turkey dinner my grandmother used to make. This was while we were very strict JWs in every other respect

S.

It's the same over here during Thanksgiving. There were at least 2 in our cong. that would have the turkey on that day, plus invite others in the cong.

I left the holiday in the world, only to find it in the "truth". Fancy that.

Warlock

• mouthy
    mouthy

Thanks for the info. This old gal will be on my own....Have been invited to my Susie,But unfortunatly I have now got the Rheamatoid Arthrities in my jaw!!!!! Hurts to talk( O.K> Stop cheering)hurts to eat.
    Has anyone else heard that it can attack the jaw???? Sorry to steal the post. But if you have- p.m me. please it is ruddy painful.( Sorry for you all it dont effect my fingers ) LOL

So every one ENJOYyour Dinners ( Dont forget to say thanks to God>>>>>

• lola28
    lola28

So I just asked my Canadian friend what Canadians were thankful for and his reply, "We're thankfu we're not Americans", hehe that was pretty good and I can't think of a good comeback, ugh I'm getting soft in my old age. Happy Thanksgiving guys!

Lola

• Warlock
    Warlock

lola,

Tell your friend, "So are we".

Warlock

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit