Some incredible new publisher statistics and Graphs

by jwfacts 66 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

I have been doing some analysis on the declining growth rates of the Watchtower Society and they are very encouraging for all ex JWs. I will try to link to some of them below, but for the firefox users or anyone wanting to see the source table they can all be seen at http://jwfacts.com/index_files/statistics.htm

Number baptised compared to increases in publishers and number that have stopped publishing

1997 was the peak of a long period of year on year growth in baptisms. Up until 1995 the number that stopped publishing was a small fraction in comparison to the increase in publishers. Since then the number of people leaving has grown to the point where it has on occasion exceeded the publisher growth rates.

Percentage that stopped publishing compared to number baptised

The number leaving has been calculated by comparing the number baptised with the increase in average publishers. This takes into account an average death rate of 1% per year. The ‘percentage leaving’ is the number that stop publishing, and does not necessarily correlate with the number that stop attending meetings, as it includes

· people disfellowshipped/disassociated

· people that have faded from meetings

· people that may attend meetings but have become inactive in reporting

There is a timing difference between when a person starts publishing and gets baptised, but this averages out over the 15 year period represented.

This is one of the most telling graphs, showing that the number of people leaving has tripled from the rate 15 years ago. It is not shown in the graph, but for the 10 years from 1986 to 1995 the rate was an average of 12%; for the 10 years from 1996 to 2005 it had risen to 41%.

Hours preaching per additional publisher

More significant than the number of hours required per baptism is the hours required for an additional publisher. Due to the high rise in people leaving, the number of hours preaching required per additional publisher increased between 1991 and 2005 from 4,000 to 16,000, an increase of 400%

• What-A-Coincidence
    What-A-Coincidence

AWESOME!!! What a great way to start off the day. You are awesome!

-wac

• Lady Liberty
    Lady Liberty

Dear JWFACTS,

Thank you for taking the time to put this together for us! It is encouraging!!

Sincerely,

Lady Liberty

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

A stacked barchart would be good, with the entire bar representing the total number of pubs, and the red section indicating the number of baptisms. It would show how little an impact all those baptisms are having on the total annual figure...

• Justitia Themis
    Justitia Themis

From jwfacts website:

A reason given for why the Last Days have continued for so long is that Jehovah “desires all to attain to repentance.” If, as the Watchtower Society says, only active Jehovah’s Witnesses will be saved then this scripture does not make sense. Everyday on average over 200,000 people are born, but the number of active Jehovah’s Witnesses increases by only 224 (2005 daily increase in average publishers). That would mean that each day Armageddon is delayed there is an extra 200,000 people that Jehovah will be required to destroy.

This is almost precisely my comment at bookstudy two weeks ago. I did use cruder language. I said that IF we choose to embrace this belief, then everyday Jehovah delays Armageddon the only thing accomplished is that the "body count" goes up.

...stunned faces....

• Genesis
    Genesis

Thanks for the stats, preach the good news about this and dont forget to turn in your time slip.

• iamfreenow
    iamfreenow

That is good news. Having only recently quit the JWs, I have been aware of a gradual decline for some years, but I know this will make sorry reading for everyone in Brooklyn Bethel, and most elders as well.

• lovelylil
    lovelylil

very interesting and thank you. Lilly

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Good post JWfacts..It does make me think about the word Publisher though..What do Jehovah`s Witness`s publish?..Nothing!..They are friggin door to door Magazine/Cult salesmen..LOL!!...OUTLAW

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

I suspect that the dip in 2002 is due to people coming back temporarily after 9/11:

It would be interesting to do a comparison by country. If 9/11 was the prime factor, I would expect the proportion in 2002 to be lower in the U.S. compared to other countries not directly affected. As for the huge increase beginning in 1996....is that the effect of the Generation Change, the Internet going mainstream, or a combination of factors?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit