I saw a beautiful thing yesterday --- a gift from God

by jgnat 18 Replies latest jw friends

• jgnat
    jgnat

Yesterday I saw a couple I hadn't seen for many years sitting together on the bus. I'd always wondered if they had managed to stay together. They looked the same, save a few more dry wrinkles, as they did twenty years ago. The way they doted on each other was the same too. He was always sweet to her, so attentive, so gentle. It made my heart glad to see them, and now I'll explain why it was so special.

Twenty years ago, I observed them from a distance as they visited our church coffee-house every Friday night. He is just a whisp of a man. He hobbles along on frail legs. A giant hearing aid dominates the side of his pinched face. Their rather vacant expressions speak of a mental handicap of some sort. It was obvious also that they were destitute. But they were also obviously deeply in love. Every Friday for the coffee and doughnuts to enjoy a bit of free entertainment. They had each other.

Then I watched an awful drama unfold. She became pregnant. Every Friday I watched the swell of her pregnancy progress. They were so sweet on each other through it all. He would sit her down and fetch her the doughnut and drinks. Then the delivery day arrived, and there was no baby. Her belly was flat. They looked so sad. I can only speculate that they lost the baby at birth or it was taken away. They both looked so sad and shortly after they stopped coming to the coffee house.

For twenty years I've wondered if their love survived that one terrible tragedy.

Then I saw them again yesterday. I tear up just thinking of it. What those two have is pure gold, a devotion that surpasses all, that gives them beauty every day. Destitute, unlovely, ungifted, they have nevertheless grasped what is truly valuable in this world.

I feel like God gave me a gift today. A gift of hope.

• Satanus
    Satanus

Nice story. If they come there again, why don't you talk to them? Here in quebec, people do talk to strangers, although they aren't really strangers to you.

S

• greendawn
    greendawn

What a sad story I just wonder what happened to the baby, some unscrupulous doctors and nurses sometimes take babies and adopt them or even worse sell them to childless couples. But it's great that they are so happy in their relationship. You are so kind doing charity work something that the dubs despise so much.

• yucca
    yucca

What a beautiful story. Thats real love.

• Zico
    Zico

That is sad about the baby. But really great that they're so in love. Thanks for sharing that story.

• iamfreenow
    iamfreenow

What a lovely story, thankyou for sharing it. It is sad about the baby, but they are still together.

• Life Is Grand
    Life Is Grand

What a wonderful touching story...thanks so much for sharing it.

We should all be thankful for everything we have....speaking of which, Happy Thanksgiving Weekend to all of you Canadians out there!!!

Enjoy your long weekend...

LIG

• misanthropic
    misanthropic

That's very sad, but touching.

• Confession
    Confession

It really could be the subject for a very interesting novel, I think. Thanks for sharing.

• Genesis
    Genesis

In Quebec people talk to stranger yeah, Quebec rocks ! Think Big sti !

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit