What ever happened to homosexual GB member Leo Greeenlees, is he dead now?

by chiddy 54 Replies latest jw friends

• fjtoth
    fjtoth

I think it only fair to mention that I knew Leo Greenlees, and I would hesitate to call him homosexual or a pedophile. He's been accused by some, and perhaps appearances are suspicious, but I'm inclined to feel a man is innocent until proven guilty. Leo was one of my bosses at Bethel, and I found him to be more principled and Bible-oriented than most Governing Body members. I will always appreciate the fact that he came to my defense when a few other GB members were making my life miserable at Bethel due to petty politics.

When Leo left Bethel, there were rumors, but I really doubt anyone among the Bethel rank and file knew the real reason(s). I know I didn't, and I was daily in touch with several insiders who seemed to know the GB best. One woman who was a real busybody tried to put two and two together by connecting Leo with the reputations of a relative whom she thought was an odd-ball and a former friend whose morals were questionable. I think the pedophile accusation is a direct result of her gadding about and trying to make herself and her husband look like close friends of GB members.

I could be completely mistaken, but I hesitate to be guided by mere hearsay and to put the label of "homosexual" and/or "pedophile" on a person now dead who may have been identified falsely.

Frank

• CaptainSchmideo
    CaptainSchmideo

Wasn't there a person on this forum who new the family involved? Said that HQ made the father of the boy drive Greenlees to the airport when they sent him packing?

• fjtoth
    fjtoth

CaptainSchmideo,

Regardless of who took Greenlees to the airport, he did not leave Bethel in complete disgrace. At one of the following summer's district conventions, he was seen in the company of GB members and others from Brooklyn. Bad as the WT Society is, I really doubt Greenlees would have been appointed as a Special Pioneer or in any other capacity as a WT representative if he was demoted for homosexual tendencies or for being a pedophile.

Again, I tend to doubt that the Society would have made the ridiculous arrangement of having someone with animosity toward Greenlees take him to the airport. As I see it, whoever took him to the airport must have been on friendly terms with him, perhaps even as a special friend. I was occasionally a chauffer for a few members of the GB, Greenlees being one of them, and I was sometimes passed by because the GB member had made prior arrangments with another personal friend.

Frank

• aSphereisnotaCircle
    aSphereisnotaCircle
    Again, I tend to doubt that the Society would have made the ridiculous arrangement of having someone with animosity toward Greenlees take him to the airport. As I see it, whoever took him to the airport must have been on friendly terms with him,

The airport driver was another incident. This man saw Greenlees touch his young son in an inappropriate manner. Dad freaked and kicked Greenlees out of his home, nothing was done about the incident. At a later date this man was asked to pick up Greenlees at the airport, . I'm sure whoever asked him to was not aware of Dad's feelings towards Greenlees..

There is another incident of a young bethelite saying that Greenless liked to have sex with boys "in their butt". The story is in one of sevenofsix's threads that are resurfacing right now.

• Mary
    Mary
    Frank said: I really doubt Greenlees would have been appointed as a Special Pioneer or in any other capacity as a WT representative if he was demoted for homosexual tendencies or for being a pedophile.

Unfortunately Frank, this is not out of the realm of possibilities. Before the whole pedophile problem within the Organization surfaced on Dateline, I would have been inclined to agree with your statement above, as it never occurred to me that the Society would tolerate anything as evil as pedophilia. As we are now all too aware, they most certainly do harbour pedophiles. How many elders did we find out about that were never removed from their positions in the congregations, even when people came forth and said "he molested me"?

The very fact that Leo Greenlees was so high up in the Organization would have worked to his benefit, given the GB's desire to "keep up appearances". Can you imagine the scandal had the R&F found out that someone who they thought was Jesus' brothers, was actually a child molestor?? Given the Society's track record of hushing up child molestation so that everyone can continue to look at the Organization with rose coloured glasses, it is entirely conceivable that he would have been appointed as a Special Pioneer, just to throw any curious onlookers, off the scent of scandal.

• fjtoth
    fjtoth
    There is another incident of a young bethelite saying that Greenless liked to have sex with boys "in their butt". The story is in one of sevenofsix's threads that are resurfacing right now.

I have to tell you that this story just doesn't add up. As resentful as many become for not receiving promotions they feel are due to them, there is an eagerness to squeal on those in high position who make a mistep in one way or another. In a community as close-knit as Bethel, it would require something like a blood conspiracy to hide the fact that a GB member was having sex with boys.

If the story is true, then let it be heard. But is it really true, or is it the invention of somebody who has absolutely no knowledge of the facts and is merely guessing?

Pedophiles should be punished to the full extent of the law, but so should persons who attempt to destroy a specific person's reputation by means of slander and gossip.

Frank

• CaptainSchmideo
    CaptainSchmideo

You know, this is the first time I have heard another side of this story.

I, too, would like to know the truth to this. I have heard this story for almost ten years, and this is the first time ANYONE has ever contested it. I would like to know why you are so certain that it is not true.

Thanks!

• chiddy
    chiddy

any thing is possible , what you think there is no flies on Greenlees , what about Ewart Chitty and Nathan Homo Knorr , c' mon Bethel boys you know all the stories!

• deeskis
    deeskis
    You know, this is the first time I have heard another side of this story

Alan F had a thread about this earlier this year. I also read a story (maybe on freeminds), there's a lot of rumour............don't know.........

I asked Alan in that thread if he had spoken to Ray Franz about it, (in COC Ray seemed to mention untrue rumours about something like this) Alan said that Ray was in denial over it.........I know according to COC, Greenlees was sympathetic to Ray, but considering everything Ray Franz has been through why would he be in denial over this............

It doesn't add up. too many missing pieces to the puzzle.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

I have a recording of a talk he gave in 1983....nothing special but interesting to hear him talk on behalf of the Society.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit