No dating outside of religion?

by TillMorning 13 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• jgnat
    jgnat

Hi, I'm the non-JW half of a mixed marriage. You can do anything you like as long as you are independent and living on your own. The trick is not in what you can do, but what you are willing to do, weighing your options.

This belief of not dating anyone who isnt a witness...is there anyway around it?

Sure, do it anyways and get married privately. What can they do?

Well, they can do a few things. They can "mark" you and informally shun you. So do weigh the balance on how valuable this person is to you. There are some wonderful, quality people out there. So don't think this is an easy answer. Sometimes it is worth it to marry a person of great character in spite of everyone's opinion. Such people are rare indeed, you may never come across a flower so perfect again in your lifetime.

anyway short of converting them?

I have a problem with putting ultimatums and conditions on the person you want to marry. I don't think you show much value for the person when you do that. What does your loved-one say about this?

Because the person is truly great, but parents have forbidden us from seeing each other.

Do you live at home? Then you are stuck. Otherwise, you do have the freedom to make your own plans, counting the cost of course.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

It has always been my opinion that the big deal of "no dating outside of religion" is ONLY because there are more women than men.

The homeliest of men can always end up with some desperate woman but the prettiest of women don't have much of a choice especially if they are picky. So they are forced to look outside especially if they are over 30 and intelligent.

If the demographics were reversed (more men than women) they would be singing a different tune.

LHG

• daystar
    daystar

So, who's the Witness? You or her?

There is no acceptable way around it in my view. Whichever one of you is in the religion should figure out why it's such a screwed up religion and leave. Then you'll both be free to date whomever you wish.

• Schism
    Schism

Just date, what's the worst that could happen?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit