Why are elders so serious?

by JH 14 Replies latest jw friends

• dedpoet
    dedpoet

It's because they have serious responsibilities, bullying shepherding the flock in their care. They have all those publishers to spy on watch over, and they still have to find them to earn a living and look after their own families.

Anyone with all that power responsibility is entitled to look serious, in my book.

• restrangled
    restrangled

They are keeping up the "front" under extreme personal duress. Behind closed doors or with trusted buddies the behaivor changes big time. Most JW's lead double lives, and the bigger the finger pointer the more they are guilty of what they are pointing at or are fighting the problem big time with in their own tortured souls.

I have seen it with my own eyes over and over again.

r.

• solo
    solo

It's because they have serious responsibilities, bullying shepherding the flock in their care. They have all those publishers to spy on watch over, and they still have to find them to earn a living and look after their own families.

I think dedpoet sums it up here. My dad is an elder and PO (I think - I don't ask too many questions they might think I'm still interested) and he rarely has a night off a week. He is always out lamb bashing as my mum calls it. On top of this he goes to mid week field service ferries numerous lazy arses around in his spiritual vehicle, goes off giving talks, aux pioneers, has a couple of bible studies, helps with the new build and putting up bros and puts up the CO every single time he visits and somehow earns a crust for him and wifey - there really is not much left, no wonder he hardly cracks a smile poor old sod what a waste of a life!

• juni
    juni

JH said:

I remember having a good MS friend. I used to go help him clean at the bank, and then we had a few beers over at his house. We were good buddies.

I knew he was going to be an elder soon, so I told him, "I hope we will remain good friends when you become and elder". Probably he thought that I was joking, but I was serious.

Well, I said that because I knew how serious they become and how they change when they become elders.

The moment he became an elder, everything changed. His circle of friends changed, and I was out

This happened in our case also. Previous MS was a crack up. Fun to be around. Made an elder and wham. Now he acted like a stodgy old man.

They have a persona they have to maintain. Also, they have to fall in line w/the rest. It actually comes down to this - they enjoy the accolade they are given as elders and they have to fall in step with the "personality" of the BOE.

Juni

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

Why are elders so serious?

I would think there are many reasons. Some I think are sincere and havent awoken yet. When I was a witness I was sincere until I saw the light. And I was looking for that light as long as I can remember.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit