Comments? Black Slavery

by Naeblis 108 Replies latest jw friends

• Utopian Reformist
    Utopian Reformist

Whether you agree or not, it is the GOVERNMENT of the United States that bears the ultimate responsibility in making reparations.

The federal government condoned and profited from slavery. It is a clever, but futile twist to state that my ancestors arrived AFTER slavery and did not profit from slavery and therefore my tax dollars should not be used to make reparations.

However, you europeans conveniently forget the services you received and continue to receive from this government were made possible as a result of exploitation.

Now, I hate the tobacco industry, certain political lobbies, but my tax dollars go there anyway. There is nothing I can do about it. Explaining my immigrant status or ancestry means nothing.

Do I receive the benefit of freedom? YES. Then I must pay taxes, and sometimes those taxes are used in manners I do not agree with or approve. It's the law. The government incurrs debts just like individuals and is required to pay with interest.

"Ave Mundi - Morituri te Salutamus!"

• Utopian Reformist
    Utopian Reformist

I deplore all forms of tobacco use. It is the most disgusting and filthy habit in my opinion. However, my health care costs and tax dollars are frequently used to finance the medical care of selfish, inconsiderate, filthy addicts. There, I said it.

I now want my money back because I do not use tobacco, never have and never will, therefore I want a complete refund. How ridiculous does that sound? What about Agent Orange? I didn't poison anyone. How about the NRA Gun Lobby? Why finance the lobby? I do not own any weapons.

It's called the "price of freedom". Everyone plays, and everyone pays.

• drahcir yarrum
    drahcir yarrum

Utopian Reformist:

Please fill out the following claim form-
    Number of African slaves in 1840 ____________
    Imputed dollars in lost income due to slavery in 1840 $____________
    Interest Rate to be applied %____________
    Number of years to be computed ____________
    Subtract the cost in dollars of all money distributed by
    the federal and state governments to poor blacks from
    1840 until 2001. - $____________
    Divided by the number of African Americans who can trace
    their ancestry back to slaves circa 1840 ____________

Fill this out, do the math and send your request for reparations to your congressman.

I would tend to rename this "a handout for someone who feels entitled to it" instead of reparations. By the way, tobacco has been and still is a legal substance. Slavery hasn't been legal for 136 years.

• Utopian Reformist
    Utopian Reformist

FYI Richard Murray/Murray Richard

Nice government form you created and thank you and all good citizens for keeping so many records of your exploitation and for providing education during those years in question.

Give me a break. We're discussing principles, not stupid laws, like the legitimacy of tobacco. Who cares?

• Julie
    Julie

First I would like to note that the bible says it's ok. If you think the bible holy and enlightened then you might want to reconsider your view if yo think slavery wrong.

I don't think the bible is holy or enlightened and I think slavery was wrong. Personally I am only the second generation of "my people" born here. No one in my family had anything to do with slavery here and they were poor Irish immigrants. No one in my family should be held fiscally responsible for slavery here.

Besides, the only people who deserve "reparation" are those who were slaves. I am all for every former slave who's a live today gets 5,000,000 cash. I do think though that America needs to invest much more into the underprivledged (no matter their color), especially the youth, Only when society produces healthy, educated people consistently and uniformly can it realize its potential.

Only when we are completely honest with ourselves can we realize that no, we don't all have the same chances, not by a long shot.

Take care all--
    Julie

• drahcir yarrum
    drahcir yarrum

Utopian Reformist:

You want money from me? Then come up with a claim based on something more meaningful than "I'm entitled and I want."

• Utopian Reformist
    Utopian Reformist

My God! The same pitiful excuse, over and over and over again. My family was not involved in slavery, we came from somwhere else, after slavery.

WHEN WILL YOU WAKE UP? IT WAS A LAND OF OPPORTUNITY FOR YOUR ANCESTORS BECAUSE THE INFRASTRUCTURE WAS BUILT FREE OF CHARGE FROM EXPLOITED LABOR. YOUR ANCESTORS WOULD NEVER HAVE COME HERE IF IT HAD BEEN ANY DIFFERENT.

Why didn't they go to china instead? Or maybe Russia? Do you know of any other country that was able to build itself free of charge?

Kick yourselves in the rear next time you turn around!

• drahcir yarrum
    drahcir yarrum

RETRACTION AND APOLOGY!

• Utopian Reformist
    Utopian Reformist

RM/MR:

I am not looking for a confrontation. Why can't you understand our position (LDH included)? We are using english words. Is it not clear?

I am getting frustrated only because I cannot believe you don't understand the real issue.

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

UR,

Accidentally benefitting from someone else's misfortune does not oblige me to repay them in any way. It certainly does not oblige me to compensate their descendants.

--
    Those who can induce you to believe absurdities can induce you to commit attrocities - Voltaire

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit