Richard Hammond by Jeremy Clarkson

by Simon 19 Replies latest social physical

• south african beef
    south african beef

I have actually seen that jet propelled car in action at Santa Pod raceway in England. There were thousands of people in attendance. The vehicle has been proved to be safe time and time again. It appears that a puncture may have caused the crash when Richard was driving. That could happen to anyone.

Driving your car at 50mph on the congested M25 motorway is probably more risky than driving on a deserted motorway at 150mph.

Speed doesn't kill - inappropriate speed does.

To eliminate all risk would mean that you wouldn't get out of bed in the morning - and still a lightening bolt could hit your house or your home could be flooded and anyway you would die earlier than normal due to being unfit!

• chiddy
    chiddy

no way I've had loads of blowouts at various speeds, 315 mph against 65mph, slight difference and he's not an experienced jet engined driver.

• Jourles
    Jourles

Seeing that I had never heard of Top Gear or this Hammond guy, I went over to Youtube to see if anyone had posted video footage of his crash run. No video of it, but I did run across this very funny clip of him being hypnotized. "It's like a joystick." LOL!

• south african beef
    south african beef

Slight difference too between a blow out on a crowded motorway and a blow out on a totally empty track with massive run off areas.

I'm not saying any risk is worth it but i can assure you that risk management studies will have been carried out first.

Also if it were not for others taking risks, America would not have been 'discovered', we wouldn't be able to fly around the world and I wouldn't be able to experience the thrill of driving.

• chiddy
    chiddy

LOL beefy, The M25 is probably the safest place to have a blowout as you'd be probably be doing only 3 mph at the time, due to the over-late roadworks, and the poxy variable speed limits or just total gridlock traffic.

• aniron
    aniron

Even though I'm no driver I loved watching Top Gear.

A program actually presented by three people who knew what they were talking about.

The antics they got up to, The projects they did. Turning a car into a boat !!!

But at the same time giving such tremendus information about cars they tested.

Loved the way they would say, after going through the makers lavish praise of the car, they would turn round and say it was rubbish.

One question though......Why wasn't the Stig driving that car?

• south african beef
    south african beef

Yeah, must admit you've got a point there!!!!

• chiddy
    chiddy

yeah stuck in that traffic with hammond up your ass in his jet engined motor with L plates on!

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

Thanks for posting this Simon, we don't bother with a Sunday paper, and would have missed it otherwise.

We both enjoy watching Top Gear, and hope the campaign to take it off the air fails.

• SirNose586
    SirNose586

Thank goodness he's alive. Top Gear is great, and the funniest non-sitcom I've ever watched, because of the remarkable chemistry of Hamster, Jeremy, and James.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit