Martial Arts

by Mysterious 15 Replies latest jw friends

• shera
    shera

Nathan,that sounds very interesting...hmmmmmmm

• Hecklerboy
    Hecklerboy
    Do something a lil different,just dread going threw all the belts again.

Shera, remember it's not about the belt. It's about the training and learning the way of Karate.

You might like to read this book about the founder of Shotokan Karate. It's an awesome autobiography about his life and how Karate helped him.

• MinisterAmos
    MinisterAmos

I'm fond of Iai because I can practice my kata anywhere, and even have an excuse to look for more traditional Shinken. You can use bokken when starting since there is a very real chance of skewering yourself when sheathing the kat. I find it more interesting than other sword based arts because it revolves around the true essence of the sword; it only comes out for a brief instant and in that instant your opponent dies. Other arts seem too silly, lots of jumping around and dancing and not much dismembering.

There is a two person Iai kata but no "sparring" or competition other than form and speed.

I also like jiu-jutsu for unarmed contact work.

• Khrysanthemum
    Khrysanthemum

I've taken a kick boxing class for the past 2 years. I LOVE it.

It works every muscle and relieves so much stress....

• lisavegas420
    lisavegas420

How weird is this...... my youngest brother just told me today...that when he was younger our dad (a devout JW.) let him take lessons in Shaolin Kung-Fu. I haven't even had time to look it up.

The reason he just told me today is we have been estranged from each other for almost 10 years, he's 21 now..and I just found him....he not a witness anymore..and lives with his girlfriend..hehehe..how cool is that?

lisa

• Mysterious
    Mysterious

I remember a JW kid here was allowed to take hockey, a few more figure skating. I was never allowed in anything.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit