Martial Arts

by Mysterious 15 Replies latest jw friends

• Mysterious
    Mysterious

Has anyone gotten involved in martial arts since they left the organization? If so which ones and how advanced are you? When I finish my third year of college this spring I'm going to start taking some classes, right now I just don't have the time with work and everything. I am thinking of Aikido or Pentjak Silat (not sure if there is a school near here for the latter though). Anyone have any suggestions for someone who is quite short and petite? I'm not overly fond of flashy high kicks like tae kwon do either and I'd rather engage in extensive sparring than brick breaking ala karate.

Hmm anyone know what martial arts include bokken training with them? I've always liked sparring with those.

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy

After I did the falling away thing years ago I eventually started training and it was one of the best things I ever did for myself personally. I chose to continue training instead of meetings. I was told in a JC meeting that I had to give it up. NOT

The elements that I learned are taken from many different disciplines.

• AIKIDO

• JIU-JITSU

• JUDO

• KICK BOXING

• SHOTOKAN

• TANG SOO DO

• WESTERN BOXING

I'm a Red Belt.

• rekless
    rekless

My sons began studying MA and both have become black belts in Savate. THis is using French kick boxing discipline in corporated into their style of Martial arts. They are both contracted to "Galdiator Challenge". My youngest Wes holds the world Championship belt in the Super Heavy weight class in N. California. He will be defending his belt in October. Wes broke my oldest son's jaw and knocked out three teeth in a sparing match, neddless to say they are now wearing head gaurds and mouth protectors. MA is a very good progran to teach one self-discipline,self-respect, self-esteem. They are confident and self assured at their ages of 27 and 24. I would highly recommend any person in good physical health to take up the arts. good luck in your endeavors

• XJW4EVR
    XJW4EVR

I took a Samoan/Polynesian martial art called Lima Lama http://www.limalama.net/Nav.htm

This art emphasizes hand movements, and is very much like Polynesian dance.

• DesertRat
    DesertRat

I actually started investigating & thinking about martial arts long before making the 'fade,' but a number of things held me back at the time--finances, still living under a JW roof, etc. That last excuse is of course no longer a factor, but I still am not sure that I possess the degree of self-discipline that I know is required in order to benefit from those activities. Their main draw for me has always been the extraordinary focus & self-esteem (qualities I sorely lack..) which seem to result from prolonged & sustained practice..

Of all the disciplines I have investigated, tae kwon do would appear, at least initially, to be ideal for me because I have long legs & it seems to mostly involve kicking. For all-around effectiveness in the real world, though, I keep hearing that jiu-jitsu might be best. Within the last year or two I have learned about Capoeira--a Brazilian form which combines martial arts with drumming & exotic dance moves. Not sure if it would qualify as a true martial art, but it is certainly fascinating to watch & also seems to provide excellent exercise for those who practice it..

Perhaps when I get a few more bills out of the way, I will finally get off my lazy a** & give one of the martial arts a solid try

DR

• Mysterious
    Mysterious

I was always drawn to martial arts, fencing, etc and was quite pissed off that I could never do any of it as a JW.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Mysterious asked,

Hmm anyone know what martial arts include bokken training with them? I've always liked sparring with those.

The bokken, or wooden sword, comes from the Japanese tradition. Although Kendo most frequently employs the Shinai (bamboo slat sword simulator) the bokken is sometimes used.

If you like sparring with bokken, you will love dueling with Shinai. The big drawback is the cost of the Kendo Gu, but a good one will last for years. You may also get to learn sword drawing with a live blade. How cool is that?

Aikido has its origins in swordsmanship, (in aikido, the "sword" is your opponent's arm, and you "make cuts" with that sword to affect throws) and aikido retains one or more (depending on school) Bokken kata. Note however, that these are kata - "solo forms." Bokken sparring is almost never done, but empty hand defense against the bokken almost always is..

Why no bokken sparring? Because although the bokken is a wooden sword and has no cutting edge, the "wood'" is generally oak and the sword is capable of inflicting grievous blunt-force trauma in the hands of someone who knows what she's doing. The legendary Musashi went up against steel swords armed with a bokken and killed his opponent.

For everyday practice, etc., check out the polypropylene bokken from COLD STEEL. It is very nicely done, of appropriate weight and length, and should hold up handily in sparring against oak swords.

Any good aikido school will let you come and observe an unlimited number of classes. They know that soon you will be irresistably drawn to the alternate reality of the tatami, where fear of falling becomes the joy of flying and big throws are big friendly embraces. Aikido is wonderful.

Having said that, you need to answer one question: what do you wish to get out of your training?

If you want to learn effective defenses from 21st century street crime, there are better places to begin.

Consider: During World War Two, OSS agents were given less than twenty hours of trainig before they were sent out on their missions. Could they handle themselves? You bet.

It might take you twenty hours just to learn how to properly tie the belt of your gi.

I'm not saying don't learn a traditional art. I'm suggesting that first you might want to learn how to effectively defend yourself, and then as a moving meditation/spiritual pursuit you could practice Aikido to give your lethal techniques a fine polish.

Onegashimasu?

• Mysterious
    Mysterious

Wow thanks for the well thought out reply that exactly what I was looking for. To answer your question no I am not looking for self defense. I am out for art and sport and perhaps a way to keep in shape as well. I have always admired the forms of martial arts more so than their practical application but I do get a lot of pure joy out of sparring.

• Hecklerboy
    Hecklerboy

I've been doing Karate for almost two years now. It's one of the best things I've ever done. I really love learning and performing the different katas. Our's is an Okinawin style karate with low stances and powerful kicks and strikes. No board breaking either. I just attended a karate tournament this past weekend and got 1st place in weapons kata and open hand kata. I only got 4th place in kumite (fighting).

Good luck in your study of the martial arts. I know you will love it. Oh and by the way, I'm a green belt, should have my purple belt next month.

• shera
    shera

I have done Tae Kwon Do and kick boxing for 4 to 5 yrs.I havn't been in it for awhile now. Really miss it too...something I should get back into.

Hecklerboy,I have been thinking of Karate myself.Do something a lil different,just dread going threw all the belts again.

I think training is great,just take care of the joints! hehe

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit