My Epiphany

by JWdaughter 15 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

Ok, I have had it with religion. I like many people of faith. I enjoy going to church, but i will NEVER get caught up in doctrinal issues again. Everyone can twist the Bible to what they want it to say, and I lack faith that it is inspired. I believe there was a Jesus, I believe that there were 10 Commandments, I believe things that make people happy and healthy and kind to one another. All of the rest is something else. God, if not a God of confusion, is not sponsoring everything attributed to him. I don't think he wanted anyone to take over anything by force. God didn't want people killing babies and raping women. God does not bless people who abuse and mutilate their body in alleged service to him, he does not bless people who hurt others by shunning them, he doesn't want people to die in order to honor life(blood). I believe his ways are greater than my ways, but I also don't believe he put a conscience in me that is purer than His. So the things that appal me are not of God. He made me. I am simple, uncomplicated, normal and loving. I don't care how he created the earth or how long it took him. I don't care if there were non-human humanoids, I am not worried about evolution. If God wants anything out of me it is to love YOU, and my family, and my neighbors and people. It is to not mess up the earth he gave me and to be a blessing to it by making my part of it healthier and more beautiful. God did make those birds. I like birds. That is not a God that would order entire nations slain so the 12 tribes of Israel would have a land of milk and honey.

I have been stuck in bed with pneumonia for two weeks and I had time to think, and read and think a lot more. If all I know is that God is Good, than the first paragraph states my core belief. Be nice to others, help others, love others.

• Zico
    Zico

These are my thoughts now as well! I hope you feel better soon.

• Double Edge
    Double Edge
    I believe his ways are greater than my ways, but I also don't believe he put a conscience in me that is purer than His. So the things that appal me are not of God. He made me. I am simple, uncomplicated, normal and loving. I don't care how he created the earth or how long it took him. I don't care if there were non-human humanoids, I am not worried about evolution. If God wants anything out of me it is to love YOU, and my family, and my neighbors and people.

Simple, isn't it.

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

If I sent that to my mom, you think she would freak? Or is it against enough other religion that it will make her happy in some weird way? Shelly

• LtCmd.Lore
    LtCmd.Lore

Yeah well on the subject of twisting scripture I thought I would share this thought I had... this has some interesting logic in it so read it carefully.

Obeying the golden rule: I obey the golden rule, and I want others to treat me as if I obey the golden rule, so therefore I attempt to treat others like they are obeying the golden rule. So if someone does something rotten to me, I assume that they want to be treated the same way and therefore I return the favor, just like they wanted!

So you can be glad I'm an atheist now...

• BlackSwan of Memphis
    BlackSwan of Memphis

Well first off:

Ouch pneumonia so sucks! I hope you are taking care of yourself!

and second:

good thoughts! Whatever God is there I just don't see said God as desiring the mass slaughter of anyone or thing.

I personally dig the Apostle er, ah well ok ...

The Beatles: All you NEED is LOVE.

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

Very epiphanitic!

Good rules for life I say. Love, Honor, Cherish, one another, the planet.

I too cannot help but see a Creator in the things I see. I do not like organized religion much now either. But I do think I love God, though He is severly crippled by the box we attempt to trap Him in.

Jeff

• becca1
    becca1

I have to agree. It just can't be that complicated.

Get well soon and stay sweet.

• aniron
    aniron

Obeying the golden rule: I obey the golden rule, and I want others to treat me as if I obey the golden rule, so therefore I attempt to treat others like they are obeying the golden rule. So if someone does something rotten to me, I assume that they want to be treated the same way and therefore I return the favor, just like they wanted!

Then obviously you or they are not obeying the Golden Rule.

You are doing it the way that many people twisted the rule "Do unto others as they do unto you.". is how it it often misquoted.

In reality it reads:

"In everything, therefore, treat people the same way you want them to treat you, .." Matt 7:12 NASB

"Here is a simple, rule-of-thumb guide for behavior: Ask yourself what you want people to do for you, then grab the initiative and do it for them" Matt 7:12 The Message

"Treat others as you want them to treat you.." Matt 7:12 CEV

• aniron
    aniron

JWdaughter

If God wants anything out of me it is to love YOU, and my family, and my neighbors and people.

"To love him with all your heart, with all your understanding and with all your strength, and to love your neighbor as yourself is more important than all burnt offerings and sacrifices." Mark 12:33

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit