Question for you British Folk

by XJW4EVR 21 Replies latest jw friends

• morty
    morty

I was in at a Tesco when I went back home in april....

I loved it!! Reminded me of Wal-mart.....Walmart and I have a good relationship...

• skeptic2
    skeptic2

What's bad about Wal-Mart? (I'm not trying to make the point that there isn't something, I just don't know what it is)

• XJW4EVR
    XJW4EVR

Doing more research, I was able to find a PDF from the Improvement Association for my community in Los Angeles. Please read, and give me more feed back.

Thanks.

Skeptic2, Wal-Mart is the largest retailer in the world, and is well-known for its "less than ethical" practices with employees, distributers & manufactures. Wal-Mart also has a very negative affect on small businesses in the areas that it sets-up shop. Here is a link:

http://walmartwatch.com/

• solo
    solo

Tesco is the biggest supermarket in the UK and is a big success story. They are now very big and powerful and I heard they are expanding into Europe and the US. In the UK they are moving into other areas and are currently looking at setting up an Argos style of shopping in their stores (that might be a secret). My partner works for a construction company who work for Tescos. They have a programme for expanding their stores and are installing mezanine floors to create more floor space, to add more stock to make more money.

It has been said that they use their wealth to buy up land, not to build stores, but to stop competitors from building near their stores.

Despite all the bad stories about tesco and the way they treat their suppliers, how the food is shipped miles and miles, stored in warehouses with gas to keep it fresh, blah, blah, blah - they are so convenient, you can get everything under one roof, you can park, get petrol, etc so people are bound to patronise them, even me.

The online shopping is a real plus for someone like me, I don't have the time or energy to drive across town and fight my way through the retards and to queue for ages then lug it all back to the car and then in through the door. So I sit at my pc at work, order my shopping, order my delivery time and then a chirpy chappy arrives with it all. Well sometimes you get lemons instead of citrus washing liquid but you just ring them up and give them hell and they credit your account with twice the amount so it's not the end of the world. Sometimes I get a bonus bag of crisps or chips - probably someones elses loss I suppose!

• SirNose586
    SirNose586

If they set up shop in my 'hood, I'll check it out.

• skeptic2
    skeptic2

As far as I know Tesco has never been linked with unethical work practices... but that is in the UK, they might behave very differently in the US. A member of my family works for Tesco in it's distribution chain: Tesco bought out the distribution chain company last year, and his wage and work conditions rose considerably as a result.

I dont buy the idea that somehow local shops, who are not specialized enough to survive generalized competiton from big supermarkets, have some special right to survive... that's nonsense unless you subscribe to some kind of communist view of the world. No-one has a right to run a shop, if you cant make a job of running your shop, go work for Tesco.

I can maybe understand the nostalgics who just think something is better because it's 'how we used to do things'. I can understand them, but I dont agree with them. I get annoyed with people who want to force me to have to travel to small high streets with inconvenient parking, moving from shop to shop to try to find what I want - a pointless waste of my time when I could do it all faster, easier and quite possibly cheaper at a successful supermarket. If someone establishes a useful business that serves its customers well, they should be rewarded with success. The only place a line needs to be drawn is at monopoly.

• katiekitten
    katiekitten

I sort of dont like Tescos because of their sheer size and the 1 in every 8 pounds thing.

But I sort of love Tesco because they are far and away the nicest cleanest smartest supermarkets around my way. IMO they strike a good balance between quality and value for money. They are not the cheapest (like Adsa, Lidl, Aldi) they are not the most expensive (Waitrose, Sainsburys) they are not aiming for the cheap and cheerful market (Morrisons, Co-op). They are well laid out, well stocked and have a sort of 'middle class' feel to them without being too pricey. (round our area at any rate).

So im afraid they get my 1in every 8 pounds most of the time. THere is a little Tesco Metro right by my daughters school, and a lovely big Tesco a bit further away. Im trapped!

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

Tesco aren't too popular in my locality at the moment because they're opening superstores in all the smaller districts - its claimed their presence will kill the long established small, local high street shops (and hence the community) as they just can't compete pricewise and many folks just don't have loyalty any more.

• Tristram
    Tristram
    My fear would be that the liberals uninformed persons in my community will be ennamored with this company since it is British

• kid-A
    kid-A

"My fear would be that the liberals uninformed persons in my community will be ennamored with this company since it is British, and not see what the big picture is."

Yup. XJW has it all figured out! We godless liberal commies are planning to take over the US by infiltrating your communities with British supermarkets! As you know, ALL liberals have a penchant for ANYTHING British! We all drink tea, eat kippers, listen to the Beatles....its all a cunning plan to take over the world, one Marks & Spencer's at a time!

Thankfully we have brilliant neo-con bush voters like XJW to protect god's america from this nefarious liberal scheme !!!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit