Can too many meetings be harmful to a person's spirituality?

by JH 12 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• JH
    JH

I think so.

The Watchtower wouldn't agree with me. Too much of anything is counter productive.

It's like eating a good meal, and 5 minutes later ordering the same plate. You won't feel like eating because your full. Same thing with meetings or field service.

What would just kill me, was when I gave a full day in the field service and went to the meeting in the evening, and then a brother would ask if I would go out in the service tomorrow morning.... I would think, "gee, didn't I do enough, aren't you guys happy, can't I skip a day or two now and do something else"?

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy

JH:It's like eating a good meal, and 5 minutes later ordering the same plate. You won't feel like eating because your full. Same thing with meetings or field service.

Yeh whatever happened to the big feasts we?re supposed to have on the Sabbath anyway? We should be attending parties on Sundays not meetings.

• mama1119
    mama1119

I agree, it certainly doesn't leave you yearning for more.

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

I think so, especially when most of them, particularly the public talks, are so excruciatingly boring that you don't learn anything anyway.

• SirNose586
    SirNose586

I got home from work last night at 6:25 and I had a 7:00 meeting. As I rushed to shove some food in my mouth and quickly hack the 5 o'clock shadow off my face, I wondered...what the deuce am I doing? And when does the slaving for a corporation end?

I get to the meeting and I'm given an assignment on the service meeting that would ordinarily be an elder's part (the last part, 20 mins). I mean, what's going on here? MS's can only do the announcements on the service meeting, right? Is there some loophole to let an MS do a part that would ordinarily be for an elder?

• restrangled
    restrangled

JH said: "It's like eating a good meal........"

Yep, It's also like eating that same meal over, and over and over again. Eventually you can't stomach it anymore.

r.

• under_believer
    under_believer

But don't you see? Jehovah provided manna for the Israelites for over 40 years in the wilderness. It was always the same food every day, but it sustained the Israelites and kept them alive.

We should not complain that the bounteous spiritual food that Jehovah provides through his Slave is always the same, because when the Israelites did that, Jehovah killed them with poison quails.

This is also proof that we shouldn't eat quails. Every time someone in the Bible ate quails, things went very badly for them. Everything in the Bible is there for a reason; don't you think that Jehovah is trying to tell us something about quails?!?!

;)

• Pistoff
    Pistoff

I still attend recovery meetings; quite a few I know in recovery attend 90 recovery meetings in 90 days to jump start the recovery process, and most come off it completely energized.
    Can you imagine 90 boring service meetings in a row?
    Or brother Bland's sunday lecture, times 90?

UGH.

• daystar
    daystar

Hmmm... is www.watchtower.org down right now? I was trying to look up 1 Cor. 9:25 NWT (moderation in all things) on the site, but it appears to be gone entirely.

My point was going to be that the concept of moderation (temperance) in all things seems to escape them.

*edit: can't ping the webserver at 161.58.8.133

• Ade
    Ade

apparently only if there are quails there lol.

God bless you all
    Ade

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit