Elderly JW refused to open her Bible...

by AuldSoul 33 Replies latest jw friends

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

Okay, some of you might have read about my conversation with the elderly lady that was doing street witnessing in Conyers, GA. This experience happened this morning ... just looked at the clock, yesterday morning .

I walked out of the local Tag office (where we register our vehicles and acquire license plates for the cars) and there sat an elderly lady with current magazines. Being in somewhat of a hurry, I tried to walk a more direct path to my vehicle ... but she thought I was avioding her. She called out loudly, "Sir? Sir?"

So, I walked over, thinking, "Poor dear. She knows not what she is doing."

She says sweetly, "Would you take these magazines and read them so you can fnid out the truth about the Bible and God's will for the earth?"

I said, "Well, I would ... if I believed those magazines could tell me the truth about the Bible and God's will for the earth."

"Well they sure can! And it is good news, too," she positively beamed with confidence.

I looked at the cover of the Watchtower. Something about the "Last Days" with a positively dismal graphic. Pointing at the cover, I said, "That is how good news looks to Jehovah's Witnesses?"

She fumbled with my meaning, I think, at any rate there was an uncomfortable pause after which I told her I knew a LOT about her religion. She said, "Oh, well then there is no need of me talking to you then."

I said, "Oh, I don't mind. May I ask you a question?"

"Sure!"

I asked, "May I borrow your Bible for a second?"

"Oh, no ... no I don't think there will be any need to open the Bible with you."

I was amazed. Have ANY of you ever had a JW refuse to open a Bible?

Long story short, I tried to get her to admit that she didn't want to discuss the Bible with anyone that already KNOWS what Jehovah's Witnesses teach, she only wanted to discuss the Bible with people who didn't know anything or very little about what JWs teach. In the end, she asked me to move on but made sure she had my name correctly and said she would call me this evening to answer my questions. She didn't call.

I had given her a handwritten sheet of paper with four questions, my name, and my telephone number. I reassured her that I wouldn't be upset when she decided not to call me. She swore she would.

I said, "I know you think you will, but I also know that you won't. When you get home and you try to find answers to my questions in the Watchtower publications, you will discover that you don't want to call me. I just want to make sure you know I won't feel badly toward you when you don't call."

She asked me for fifty cents for a cup of coffee. I kid you not. So, I gave her fifty cents but made her promise first that she would not put the money in a contribution box. She swore on Jehovah that she would not. Literally, swore on Jehovah.

Thoughts? Have ANY of you had a JW refuse to open their Bible?

• MidwichCuckoo
    MidwichCuckoo

Gosh, no. Well, she may have lied about putting the money in the Contribution Box, as she lied about calling you.

What were the 4 questions?

• itsallgoodnow
    itsallgoodnow

I guess some are not as delusional as we give them credit for. They know exactly what they are doing and are only interested in people who won't argue and don't have any critical information about JWs. They are looking for a certain type of mark and you are not it.

• SirNose586
    SirNose586

Interesting story, for a few reasons....I find it interesting that she didn't want to continue the discussion. If you find the right dub, they will try to challenge you or pose those loaded questions that the book-of-the-moment can answer. She found out that you weren't a mark, and so she wisely avoided the battle. I mean, it's basically an admittance that dubs can really only reach out to rubes.

Also, I find it curious that she swore on Jehovah. And dub worth his bookbag will know that's a no-no.

• Arthur
    Arthur

This doesn't surprise me. When I used to go out in service, I used to consider anybody like you who asked critical questions as someone who is "hard hearted" and who "doesn't want to learn the truth", but just "wants to argue". Anybody who dares to ask tough questions is considered "proud" and perhaps even "goatlike".

When you told her that you already knew about JW's, I'm sure her internal "apostate alarm" went off. This was certainly the case with me. When I used to meet anyone who said that they knew several things about us and wanted to ask tough questions; my first thought was that they had most likely been talking to apostates. This internal rationalization allowed me to quell my internal dissonance and to excuse my inabilities to engage with them in any meaningful dialogue. I'm sure that this was the case with this woman.

So, you need to tell us: What were those four questions you asked? Please tell.

• under_believer
    under_believer

AuldSoul, why do you keep picking on old ladies? They only have a few years left before they die, and they probably have people in the org who support them and help them out.

What you need to do is find those 20something male fresh-from-pioneer-school assholes. Turn THEM around, you've accomplished something.

I dunno, I just keep feeling sorry for the old ladies. I like old ladies.

• VM44
    VM44

"They are looking for a certain type of mark...."

Yes, they are indeed looking for a certain type of person, someone with no knowledge of the Bible or science and who will accept everything they are told to believe.

They have always been that way, but particularly so since the day Judge Rutherford took over!

--VM44

• Arthur
    Arthur
    Yes, they are indeed looking for a certain type of person, someone with no knowledge of the Bible or science and who will accept everything they are told to believe.

This is absolutely true. According to JWs, those who are "sheeplike" are those who are mental ciphers.

• lisavegas420
    lisavegas420

Oh My!!!

She didn't forget your conversation once you walked away...it was stuck in her head...... I'm sure she was still thinking about you when she drank her coffee that you bought for her....... Then when she got home and researched your questions....utoh..

We need those four questions!!!

lisa

• darth frosty
    darth frosty

Always love your experiences Auld. I had a friend who I was reasoning with tell me he did not want to hear my perverted logic. I was just referencing the scriptures.

Also just wandering what 4 questions did you ask her?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit