striking similarities to the pharisees?

by chuckyy 10 Replies latest jw friends

• chuckyy
    chuckyy

is it just me or do jw elders seem to parallel the pharisses of christs day? certainly, the excessive laws (written and oral), are a heavy burden for all jws, impossible to keep, leading to feelings of guilt. the elders enforce these laws , and, just like the pharisees of christs day, render these laws as having greater importance than mercy/love. some of these men are very religious in terms of observing law but have very little spirituality in terms of christian love. in other words, just as jesus said, outwardly they look like whitewashed graves. inside though there are just dead mens bones.

is this a harsh opinion....do you think these similarities are real?

chukyy

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

Not all, but certainly some of the elders I have known have displayed pharisaical tendencies in dealing with the congregation, and it's these types that seem to thrive, while the ones that want to deal with people in a loving, merciful way burn themselves out with the effort, and step down.

• Mary
    Mary
    jw elders seem to parallel the pharisses of christs day? certainly, the excessive laws (written and oral), are a heavy burden for all jws, impossible to keep, leading to feelings of guilt. the elders enforce these laws , and, just like the pharisees of christs day, render these laws as having greater importance than mercy/love. some of these men are very religious in terms of observing law but have very little spirituality in terms of christian love. in other words, just as jesus said, outwardly they look like whitewashed graves. inside though there are just dead mens bones. is this a harsh opinion....do you think these similarities are real?

Uh, no, I can't see any similarities at all! Just because both groups claim(ed) to worship Jehovah, believe they have an exclusive relationship with Him that the rest of the world doesn't, impose hundreds of manmade laws on the R&F and then self-righteously slam them when they can't keep all the laws, label anyone who questions their interpretations as an "apostate" or "troublemaker", worry about stupid irrelavent matters while forgetting about love and compassion.............nope, no similarity there at all. Actually, I see the Governing Body members as being the same as the Pharisees, even more so than the elders. Elders aren't the ones who make up the doctrines-----the guys at the top do.

• juni
    juni

Welcome Chuckyy.

I totally agree with you - some elders more than others. We have to remember though that it starts from the top and works its way down.

Juni

• greendawn
    greendawn

Very true that is the overall spirit of the WTS and above all its leaders. They like to create many rules and admonish contantly you must keep to the rules you must not forget the rules etc but they are absolutely uninterested in helping anyone out in practice, they are even the very incarnation of the uncharitable spirit.

• cyberdyne systems 101
    cyberdyne systems 101

This was one of the earliest area's that began my exit of the JW's. I couldn't understand the condemnation from the platform of the Pharisees and yet the next minute we were being told what to wear, where to sit, how to be groomed, how many hours we should do etc etc

As for the guilt - yes it became too much to bare, I wasnt good enough living up to the 'recomended' hours, attendance, study...(insert your own oral/written law here). The only good thing is that to some it can push them so far that they begin to see it for what it really is.

CS 101

• XBEHERE
    XBEHERE

No Chuckyy you arent being harsh, pharisee's is a good comparision to to many but not all JW Elders. Thing is elders treat fellow elders worse sometimes epsecially if they dont like each other. There isnt real christlike love in the congregation... its all for show.

• Amazing
    Amazing

Chukyy,

is it just me or do jw elders seem to parallel the pharisses of christs day? certainly, the excessive laws (written and oral), are a heavy burden for all jws, impossible to keep, leading to feelings of guilt. the elders enforce these laws , and, just like the pharisees of christs day, render these laws as having greater importance than mercy/love. some of these men are very religious in terms of observing law but have very little spirituality in terms of christian love. in other words, just as jesus said, outwardly they look like whitewashed graves. inside though there are just dead mens bones. is this a harsh opinion....do you think these similarities are real?

You are partly correct. Where your comparison is a little off is that the JW Elders do not in any way create, parse out, or determine the rules that JWs live by. Sometimes they will over-apply the rules, but the bulk of responsibility, at least 99% falls on he Governing Body and their research and suppport staff. Pharisees, on the other hand, had some authority to interpret and develop rules.

Where you are mainly correct is in the application of rules over love and mercy. These are carried out in many ways worse than the Pharisees rules and interpretations. The entire Watchtower system is corrupt from top to bottom, side to side, and end to end. Only when individuals wake up and leave it that the corruption stops harming their personal lives. The Watchtower system is an example of exactly what Jesus was telling his followers NOT to do. In a way, they serve a purpose in reminding us of what is the epitomy of false Christianity, so that true, genuine Christianity can stand out and been seen for what it is. Love, mercy, kindness, goodness, faith, mildness can truly be exhibited and grow in the hearts of individuals through the Holy Spirit ... just as Christ intended.

Jim Whitney

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy

:do you think these similarities are real?

yep

• buffalosrfree
    buffalosrfree

Absolutely the comparison with the pharisies is real, the elders don't give a damn about those in the congtregations, they only care about kissing the ass of the c.o., and anyone above him. They don't help the poor, the sick, the destitute, the lonely at heart, the broken hearted on anyone else, they look at funerals as a means of giving a public talk and getting time in the service. I have absolutely no respect for any of them.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit