A little hypocrisy "Watchtower style"

by rockhound 16 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• rockhound
    rockhound

Hello all,

About 2 months ago my JW sister informed me that she had decided to disfellowship my wife and I. She used 1John 2:19 as a scriptural reference, and the Sept.15,1981 Watchtower article on disfellowshipping to support her charge. My reply to her was quite lengthly, but I thought some at this site might be able to benefit from this part of my response.

In your letter to( wife) and I, you applyed 1John 2:19 to us and gave as a reference the following Watchtower article to show us why you had decided that "I will treat you as a disfellowshipped persons", because "by deliberately rejecting the faith and beliefs of Jehovah's Witness" we are evidently guilty as paragraph 14 below of "renouncing his standing as a Christian".

*** w81 9/15 p. 23 Disfellowshiping?How to View It ***

14 One who has been a true Christian might renounce the way of the truth, stating that he no longer considers himself to be one of Jehovah?s Witnesses or wants to be known as one. When this rare event occurs,the person is renouncing his standing as a Christian, deliberately disassociating himself from the congregation. The apostle John wrote: "They went out from us, but they were not of our sort; for if they had been of our sort, they would have remained with us."?1 John 2:19.

w819/15p.23Disfellowshiping?HowtoViewIt***

16 Persons who make themselves "not of our sort" by deliberately rejecting the faith and beliefs of Jehovah?s Witnesses should appropriately be viewed and treated as are those who have been disfellowshiped for wrongdoing.

Your use and application of this verse in 1John 2:19 from this Watchtower has left out a very important detail, and that would be found in the Context surrounding this verse. Verse 18 clearly identifies Who had "went out from us". It was theAntichrist.

By our rejecting the beliefs and doctrines of the Watchtower Society you evidently are identifying and calling us all Antichrist and not of your sort (Jehovah's Witnesses) and you therefore feel that we have "renounced our standing as a Christian".

Therefore, to be a good Jehovah's Witness and therefore a real Christian, you must follow the directive in the 1981 Watchtower and condem us all because we all have,as you say in you letter "taken a stand against the very thing that means more to me than anything else in life".

I find a curious "double standard" from the statements of the Watchtower 1981 that you refered to (sisters name), and the comments found in later Watchtowers.

One example that stands out in my mind illustrates this well. In the December 1, 1981 issue of the Watchtower magazine appeared an article "Religious Liberty Under Attack in Greece." In it was a well-documented account of outrageous religious intolerance in the "birthplace of democracy," Greece. The article effectively refutes the accusations made against Jehovah's Witnesses by the Greek Orthodox Church which resulted in the loss of religious freedom for all Jehovah's Witnesses in Greece. The Church's argument to the court (based on Jehovah's Witnesses denial of the trinity doctrine) claimed: "Jehovah's Witnesses not only cannot be rightfully called Christians, that is to say, disciples of Christ, but on the contrary, they are . . . the antichrists." The Watchtower article takes issue with these accusations. Under the subheading "Who Are the Christians" it says:

"Nowhere did Jesus instruct Christiansto persecute, imprison, assault, or take mob action against those who disagreed with them. Thus, in the first century the real Christians were the persecuted, not the persecutors. The persecutors were the clergy and those incited by them. It is the same in Greece today."

Comment:

The Watchtower disagreedwith the Greek Orthodox Church on their belief about the "Trinity" and as a result the Watchtower Society was labeled Antichrist, and they in turn accused the Church of being their persecutors. I find a "double standard" here in view of the fact that any who disagree with the beliefs of the Watchtower today are immediately accused of being the Antichrist and therefore none Christian and 1John 2:19 is applied to them, just as the Greek Orthodox Church did to the Watchtower and just as you have done in you letters to us.

The next subheading asks "Are They Antichrists?" It is clear that the Society is highly offended by this charge. They give the following refutation:

"What does the Bible say of "antichrist?" At 1 John 2:22 it states: `Who is the liar if it is not the one that denies that Jesus is the Christ? This is the antichrist, the one that denies the Father and the Son.' Thus, the plain fact of God's inspired Word is that an antichrist does not accept Jesus. But Jehovah's Witnesses do! They most fervently believe in Jesus and follow his teachings! In fact, no one can become one of Jehovah's Witnesses without accepting Jesus as the divine Son of God, who came down from heaven, was impaled and resurrected, and who returned to heaven. So anyone who says that Jehovah's Witnesses are "antichrist" either is badly misinformed, is blinded by prejudice, or has an evil motive."

Comment:

The Watchtower Society made the defence , that" anyone who says that Jehovah's Witnesses are "antichrist" either is badly misinformed, is blinded by prejudice, or has an evil motive." We make this same statement to you (sisters name) about all of us. The label of being the Antichrist, is the same. The refusal of doctrinal belief, is the same. The charge that they were not even Christian, the same. The rebuttal to their persecutors is the same. So why do you hold the Watchtower Society in such high regard, and yet you said that our "course was one of apostacy?" I believe that your decision is due to your being badly misinformed (to use the above Watchtower discription), and I believe it is obvious where your misinformation came from!

Since one of the reasons the Greek Orthodox Church considered Jehovah's Witnesses to be antichrists was their denial of the Trinity doctrine, the article gives a refutation of the doctrine of the trinity. Then they go on to say:

"However, if the Orthodox Church wants to believe the Trinity, that is their right. But it has no right in democratic land to persecute, incite mobs and arrests, anddeny Jehovah's Witnesses their liberties because they do not believe the Trinity."

"...Jehovah's Witnesses, well known and granted legal recognition internationally, uphold those democratic principles. They want Greece to uphold them too, and not tolet any church impose its Inquisition mentality on others by persecuting those (who do not agree with its views."

)

Comment:

Think about their argument (sisters name)!! They are outraged that in a democratic land that they would be persecuted and denied their liberties because they could not accept what they consider to be a false belief, and that the government should not to let any church impose its Inquisition mentality on others by persecuting those who do not agree with its views." Those trying to do this to the Jehovah's Witnesses in Greece, were considered by the Watchtower as persecutors. How curious! We feel you are doing the same thing to all of us, and for the very same charge!!!because WE do not agree with the Watchtower's views and beliefs.

I fully agree with the sentiments expressed by this article as do Jehovah's Witnesses and other lovers of religious freedom throughout the world. In past incidents of governmental oppression, the Society has encouraged all who agree to express their outrage in letters to the government officials responsible and the press of the nations involved so that both sides may be heard. I believe this is a right and reasonable action to take.

How is it, though, that when the shoe is on the other foot, the Watchtower Society acts more like Greek Orthodox Clergy than the fair minded-lovers of religious freedom which they characterize themselves to be? Jehovah's Witnesses consider the charge of "antichrist" (or "apostate") to be false because they believe in Christ Jesus. But why is it that they mete out harsh treatment to any who may disagree with any teaching of the Watchtower Society and brand them as evil "apostates" with wicked motives even thoughsuch ones believe deeply in Christ Jesus as their mediator and ransomer? And why is it right for Jehovah's Witnesses to petition government officials and the press in order to have their side of the story told, but wrong for one banished by the organization for doctrinal disagreements to attempt to explain what he feels to be an unfair accusation either by word or letter? Anyone who disagrees with any teaching of the Society is treated in a manner reminiscent of the Inquisition. Even though his good name is besmirched, his motives impugned, he is to remain silent. How does such conduct reflect the teaching of our Lord, "All things, therefore, that you want men to do to you, you also must likewise do to them?" The conduct of the Watchtower Society in this matter seems to me to be a double standard, which to me is repugnant and more than a little hypocritical.

Note: A portion of the above was taken from another (unnamed) article.

ROCKHOUND

• greendawn
    greendawn

"the person is renouncing his standing as a Christian" since when did the JWs become Christians their more apt name is Jehovians since their life and worship centre around jehovah.

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

Well done, Rockhound.

The arguments you make are salient and on spot, though of course I am sure it did not sail with Sis, who likely retorted that "Rockhound speaks with the evil tongue of apostate reason."

Perhaps though, just a tid-bit of reasonableness may have penetrated. That is reason for hope indeed.

Jeff

• Gill
    Gill

Wow! They have ''Do It Yourself' disfellowshiping kits!!!!!! Wow again! I didn't know they could do that.

Just disfellowship her right back and tell her she can kiss your ass!

• Jringe01
    Jringe01

Hear hear!! Who ever heard of individuals disfellowshipping other individuals. That's an authority reserved for the elders. She's a usurper!!! A woman taking on authority that does not belong to her. I'm sure her elders would have something to say about that!!!

Doesn't she know she can't use the term "disfellowship" anymore????? Get with the times girl!

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

Is she acting independently of the congregation here? The elders might have something to say if she is!

A well - reasoned reply Rockhound, well done, and thanks for sharing it.

• unique1
    unique1

Excellent retort.

• bennyk
    bennyk

Dear Rockhound,

Please tell her that 1 John 2:19 was written by an Anointed Christian to Anointed Christians about Anointed Christians who became part of the Antichrist (vs. 18). Unless she is willing to agree both that you are "anointed", and also charge you with being an "Antichrist", the Scripture cannot be justly applied to you...

Remind her of the existence of such Scriptures as Matt. 5:11,12 and Luke 6:22,23.

• sspo
    sspo

rockhound

good job, that was good reasonig, keep us up to date of her response.

Yes, many witnesses do have their own DF kit. My ex has not talked to her mother and sisters for years because they faded and stopped going to the KH.

• rockhound
    rockhound

Hello Bennyk!

I am of the opinion that 1John 2:18 was in reference to Gnosticism in the early congregation, and not just members of the congregation losing their faith in Christ.

The NIV Bible in their introduction to 1John has a whole section devoted to

Gnosticism .

Gnosticism

One of the most dangerous heresies of the first two centuries of the church was Gnosticism. Its central teaching was that spirit is entirely good and matter is entirely evil. From this unbiblical dualism flowed five important errors:

1. The human body, which is matter, is therefore evil. It is to be contrasted with God, who is wholly spirit and therefore good.

2. Salvation is the escape from the body, achieved not by faith in Christ but by special knowledge (the Greek word for "knowledge" is gnosis, hence Gnosticism).

3. Christ?s true humanity was denied in two ways: (1) Some said that Christ only seemed to have a body, a view called Docetism, from the Greek dokeo ("to seem"), and (2) others said that the divine Christ joined the man Jesus at baptism and left him before he died, a view called Cerinthianism, after its most prominent spokesman, Cerinthus. This view is the background of much of 1 John (see 1:1; 2:22; 4:2?3 and notes).

4. Since the body was considered evil, it was to be treated harshly. This ascetic form of Gnosticism is the background of part of the letter to the Colossians (see Col 2:21,23 and notes).

5. Paradoxically, this dualism also led to licentiousness. The reasoning was that, since matter?and not the breaking of God?s law (1Jn 3:4)?was considered evil, breaking his law was of no moral consequence.

The Gnosticism addressed in the NT was an early form of the heresy, not the intricately developed system of the second and third centuries. In addition to that seen in Colossians and in John?s letters, acquaintance with early Gnosticism is reflected in 1,2 Timothy, Titus, and 2 Peter and perhaps 1 Corinthians.

Occasion and Purpose

John?s readers were confronted with an early form of Gnostic teaching of the Cerinthian variety (see Gnosticism above). This heresy was also libertine, throwing off all moral restraints.

Consequently, John wrote this letter with two basic purposes in mind: (1) to expose false teachers (see 2:26 and note) and (2) to give believers assurance of salvation (see 5:13 and note). In keeping with his intention to combat Gnostic teachers, John specifically struck at their total lack of morality (3:8?10); and by giving eyewitness testimony to the incarnation, he sought to confirm his readers? belief in the incarnate Christ (1:3). Success in this would give the writer joy (1:4).

In the footnote on 1John 2:18, the NIV study Bible, said "The antichrists referred to in John's letter were the early Gnostics.

Even the Watchtower Society makes reference to this in the "All Scripture" book:

sipp.256-257BibleBookNumber62?1John***

4 John writes to protect his "beloved ones," his "young children," against the wrong teachings of the "many antichrists" that have gone out from among them and that are trying to seduce them away from the truth. (2:7, 18) These apostate antichrists may have been influenced by Greek philosophy, including early Gnosticism , whose adherents claimed special knowledge of a mystical sort from God.... these antichrists were self-righteously claiming that they were without sin and had no need of Jesus? ransom sacrifice. Their self-centered "knowledge" had made them selfish and loveless, a condition that John exposes as he continually emphasizes true Christian love.

To use this text in reference to any who leave the Watchtower, is to pull it completely out of context, and apply it to suit their own purposes. (Damage Control)

ROCKHOUND

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit