What would you say?

by bagpuss 6 Replies latest jw friends

• bagpuss
    bagpuss

I spent time in a cong where the school overseer had a real thing for pronouncing words just like on the WT cds. This meant that we were always been counselled for incorrect pronunciation, especially when it came to the word philistine.He insisted that the 'ine' at the end should be pronounced as 'een' and that the emphasis should be on the second syllable ' lis'

I would cringe listening to students using the ' correct pronunciation' when privately they all thought it was wrong to have his view imposed on us.

What about you. Where you come from are you a 'ine' or a ' een' and would you change for the sake of the school?

From one who wouldn't change and always got counselled!!!!

• greendawn
    greendawn

I can recall the JWs splitting hair on doctrine but I never heard them doing this over mundane things like the pronunciation of words.

• GetBusyLiving
    GetBusyLiving

I dunno what we pronounced around here bagpuss, but I did slip the nonsense word "thort" into a talk once in place of the annoying jw term "thus", to see if any of the braindead would notice.

No one did.

GBL

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

It varied in my cong. Most, including me said "een", but some said"ine". I never heard of anyone getting counselled for it though, you must have had a very pedantic school overseer.

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

Since I have left the jw's I notice bible thumpers pronouncing the various biblical names all sorts of ways. Variety is the spice of life.

• MidwichCuckoo
    MidwichCuckoo

INE - but surely pronouncition is often down to Regional/Universal accents. You know - you say tomayto, and I pronounce it correctly (Midwich ducks).

• vitty
    vitty

I remember the latest was "isaiah" This brother started off his talk with the american way of pronouncing it. Couldnt keep it up though and it fluctuated throughout his talk. American way, english way, he sounded ridiculous and affected, plonker.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit