I finally made it in to see the Dr.

by WildHorses 27 Replies latest jw friends

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

How about try running? It's a major mood lifter!

Granted, the first two weeks of running are a living hell, but once your body adapts you will suddenly find yourself enjoying your frequent runs and challenging yourself to run farther and faster.

I find it substantially lifts my mood and energy level all day long compared to days when I don't run.

I've had a great deal of sucess with this running program: Couch to 5k Running Plan

• WildHorses
    WildHorses

David, running is something I would have to work up to gradually. I haven't been running in years and am way out of shape. I let myself go really bad. I had gotten up to 246lbs, have lost down to 200, but still have a way to go. It was easy this time. I lost the first 20lbs by not drinking anymore soda/pop/drinks. The rest I just lost all appetite since this started. Plus, I still smoke. I have cut back a lot but still haven't quit completely. I'm working on it though.

I'm still just scared if I exert myself to much that I will kill over. I'm sure it's part of my illness that makes me think this but it still scares me. I do get exersise though. Cleaning houses is hard work and i'm up and down stairs all day. My leg muscles are tight as a rock.

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

Give the meds time to work and let them work for you.

I fought taking them for years. It helps ...........and part of it may be hormonal as well. Just looking at your age if it is correct although your pic looks younger :)

Its such a shame ...depression, you can't see it, but it can be as disabling as any broken bone or cut that requires stitches. You cant see the wound and you can't see it healing, others don't always recognize it and explaining it can be difficult

It's difficult I know, but give yourself time, and I found that you naturally will gain back some pep in your life.

Elsewhere is right about the exercise. I can't run but I can ride a bike and I love it. Just a little at a time and before I knew it I was riding 15 miles at one time.

purps

• WildHorses
    WildHorses

Purple, that pic was taken four years ago so I was only 39 then.

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

From what you have said.........depression runs in your family. It was not not until i was about 45 that coping got more difficult for me.

I have been to a weight loss doc.......and GYN, got my thyroid checked.....etc etc......I just could not accept my body was changing, but all the docs..........and I work for doctors too.......said most of it was hormonal, and that it would pass.

I asked, HOW LONG????????

Well the good news, purps, it will only last a couple of years!!!

You look great, find something that interest you........keep searching till you find your niche....make it a challenge, a game, something fun. Do something just for you, that makes you feel good. Love yourself, be kind to yourself, be your own best friend.

and Smile!

Hang in there........You will soon be feeling better.

purps

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee
    the medication in itself has small value for long term or chronic depression, you need to be working on the things that precipitate the depression and learn how to cope. Counselling and group therapy I found very helpful.

I must be in the minority, but I agree with the above. Being on a lifetime of meds that flatten out your emotions and destroy your sexual capability has got to be a last resort. I recommend the best seller of many years ago, "Listening to Prozac." I am on my second reading. The author, a psychiatrist, is neither for nor against antidepressants. But his major point is that sometimes depression has something to tell us that we should be listening to so that we can learn from it and how to deal with it. If it is weight issues, relationship, job, etc., meds just cover over your feelings about it, but doesn't solve the underlying issue. Experiencing the pain, however, can move us to action - which can actually make things better. Good luck to you.

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

I know that you can overcome depression. I have experienced it off and on. The most important thing-you are already doing! Being able to admit it, and asking for help is the best thing you can do. I had it the worst after my 2nd baby. Prozac for a few months was worth it. I also used Selenium, which I think helped also. I continued on with that for some time after stopping the prozac. I am pleased for you that you took the step to ask for help. You will feel so much better-just knowing that you aren't alone and it is treatable and something that can be overcome-one way or another. Blessings to you-I hope this works well for you-but if it doesnt', it doesn't mean anything is wrong with you-just means you need to try another medication or treatment. Shelly

• zions watchman
    zions watchman

I would be carefull of prozac, I work in Clayton and had a employee of mine that went crazy on it, it changes your moods really bad.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit