I finally made it in to see the Dr.

by WildHorses 27 Replies latest jw friends

• AuntieJane
    AuntieJane

I wish you well, WH...stay close with the dr., don't just stop taking the med if you have 2nd thoughts about it.

Antidepressants can do wonders, but sometimes it takes awhile finding the right one. I'm proud of you

for getting help. Many don't.

Take care,

AJ

• WildHorses
    WildHorses

Luvsdubs, I'll let you know if it's worth it. I just read something about a pill called claricet that is non prescriptions you might want to check it out.

Juni, it does run in my family. My mom and dad and both sister suffer from it and I just found out today that I have aunts on both sides who also suffer from it.

Shoot, had I not gone to the DR, i'm not sure how long I would have been around as I had thoughts of suicide. The only bad thing is while discussing this with my DR she said that sometimes the meds help people to commit suicide because when they are like me and affraid of death the meds make them not be so affraid. I guess that is why she wants me to keep in close contact with her until we get the right dose worked out.

• WildHorses
    WildHorses

Oh and Prozac is cheap. My prescription for a month is only $30 for 20MG Prozac, and the xanax(Low dosage, only 0.25 MG) was only $10 for 30 pills. I can afford that without insurance. THANK GOD!

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket

Hang in there, Wildhorses! Depression is a mother**** (excuse my French). Many people don't understand it, which makes it hard to get the support that you need sometimes. Since, you have family members that are suffering with it, hopefully, they will provide you with a support network. If not, lots of people here are very supportive. We understand.

Don't be too hard on yourself.

• GoingGoingGone
    GoingGoingGone

(((((wildhorses)))))

Good for you for getting on meds!! Stay in close touch with your doctor til you get the dosage figured out.

And you might try getting outside in the sunlight for a little while every day. I know we're heading towards winter, but sunlight is proven to help some forms of depression. (S.A.D.D., for example).... and hey, fresh air never hurt anyone!

Best of luck to you!

GGG

• WildHorses
    WildHorses

GGG, believe me. I undestand about the sun. This weekend I made myself get out of the house since the sun was shinning and it did make me feel better. I was out today also with the same results. I've also bought florescent lights for my room and keep them on when I am in it. My room is way to dark and I spend way to much time in here so being in the dark all the time may have had something to do with it.

• bigmouth
    bigmouth

I hope the Prozac (fluoxetine) works for you. I had good results with it and have had even better results with two others. (paroxetine and citalopram). But I have to say both to you and lovesdubs that the medication in itself has small value for long term or chronic depression, you need to be working on the things that precipitate the depression and learn how to cope. Counselling and group therapy I found very helpful.

"my DR she said that sometimes the meds help people to commit suicide because when they are like me and affraid of death the meds make them not be so affraid"
    - what the meds can do is give you a little relief from misery you've been feeling, you feel a little better, you have a little more energy and something goes wrong and the negative emotions wash over you again. You now have that little bit of energy to follow through with those suicidal thoughts. This is where you need people to be around you and support you.

Best wishes to you WildHorses, Pete.

• bigmouth
    bigmouth

BTW, I didn't mean to imply that the meds had no long term use, If I hadn't been taking my meds for the last ten years along with hospital and counselling I would have been dead a long time ago. I just mean that the meds left to themselves are not likely to keep you well if there are persistent behaviour or thought patterns that need to be changed. Pete.

• sspo
    sspo

I hope you feel better, many have taken prozac in the congr. and it seems to work.

By the way you are pretty woman.

• Good Girl or Bad Girl?
    Good Girl or Bad Girl?

WildHorses

I wish you the best. I'm glad you are getting help. We don't have to go it alone.

GoodGirl/Bad Girl

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit